Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 03:56:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Clam Lake Musky 2013

Started by Got Fish??, July 03, 2013, 05:38:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Got Fish??

I'm going  back to Clam Lake the week of  July  4. I'm  going to try to  catch my first musky out of northern waters. Last year I struck out , maybe this year I will be lucky. I have  boated many  out of lake St Clair, and tigers from Woodland  and Whitmore lakes.

djkimmel

For muskie in Clam Lake, concentrate on the first quarter mile of the lake from Torch Lake. I've always seen more muskie in the Clam River and out into that first quarter mile, especially the South shore, than the rest of the lake. There are a ton of pike, with some big ones throughout the rest of Clam Lake. Some big pike usually in the back end of Clam that last half mile to, and just into the Grass River. I would suggest you also consider a side trip to Bellaire - BIG smallmouth bass and I've seen some BIG muskies in the back end, especially around points.

They say the new state record muskie was caught by a bass angler on a minnow in Bellaire (50 POUNDS!!) though I have heard reports it may have actually come from the Torch River area similar to the previous record muskie. You never know for sure with anglers!?! ;D

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

robhj

Several lakes in that area are great for muskies and smallies. Dan is correct, the new state record did come from Bellaire and was caught by some smallie fishermen. In fact, another bass angler caught another 50+ lb Muskie out of Grand Traverse Bay on a tube a week or so ago. Although Clam Lake has a resident population of Great Lakes Spotted muskies, it has been shown through tracking studies that many of the larger females use Clam Lake as a spawning area and return to Torch Lake during the summer. The same has been shown for Elk Lake females who use Skegemog as a spawning area and return to Elk in the summer. The entire Antrim/I-chain has native populations of muskies, albeit, at very low densities. Beautiful area to fish. I would definitely recommend burning bucktails, larger topwaters such as Topraiders, and bulldawg rubber baits fished on some of the deeper breaks. It would be nice to see things reversed and a Muskie angler catch the next state record smallie! Good luck on Clam.

TheFishinPollock

I've missed and caught some fish that would hit the books somewheres, in Elk lake. I was out saturday and it was just not fair. To the fish that is .  Every spot I hit the fish bit , but more so in the 68 water degree mark than the low 70's .  Never even bothered to go into Skegemog.   Dan knows what I mean. He has seen hundreds of beds on them 2 lakes in years past. 

Clam is gonan be a zooo all weekend. Actually the entire chain will be a zoo. Be in early and out even eariler .  If I get the control panel insert fixed in the boat I'm hitting Elk again . Bellaire is a perfect mix of every lake in the chain rolled up into 1 lake.   Elk is even showing good weed growth near to the surface this year.   
Matthew" the pollock" Novak
1986 Champ 168
 2014 Pro XS 115 Merc

djkimmel

Wow! Weeds like that in Elk? That could be real interesting in the future. That used to be 'my' chain. :) Especially Torch. Saw a monster, monster smallie in there once a long time before the smallies have all gotten big. Saw a monster, monster smallie in there 2 years ago. There's just too many great lakes up there to fish them all!!! What a problem to have!

I wonder about Clam? I fished docks there one time on Labor Day weekend and tore up the big largemouth! Caught a couple 4 pounders right out from under peoples' feet! After asking if it was okay first, of course... 'Oh, I don't think you'll catch anything while we are making all this noi.... wha? Oh my, that's a big bass! Can't believe you caught that under our feet?!?' ;D

Wonder if that works on 4th of July weekend too..?

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Got Fish??

I picked the wrong week to fish Clam and Skegemog lakes. Too much boat traffic. So we fished Big Blue Lake and Cub, both just 5 minnets from camp. Drifted the breaks, from 8ft to 12ft. Drift and drag, just like fishing StCair. We pulled, xtreme tubs and 3in green senkos wacky style. Caught lots of quality small mouth, and a few large mouth bass.They all played hard. We took a few 5lb plus. I maybe gong back soon to try again. Thanks for the tips on the muskies, their on my bucket list'. I will be up LaborDay week anyway.You can get Extreme tubs at Jack's on kalkaska

Got Fish??

It's fall and time to head for Clam Lake, one more time before the end of the summer. This year a have a new arsenal of baits to use. I did some research up in the area and talked to several fishermen. They put me on some good spots and hopefully the right baits. I'm going to launch right at Clam Lake this year if I can find it. I'll be in the Kalkaska area Labor Day weekend.

bob o

it sounds like Clam should be on our fall list for Mad Wags in 2014

Got Fish??

I am Still o-for Clam Lake. The day we had planned for ClamLake. A nasty storm came through the night before, and it rained all that next day. 75 mile an hour wind gusts and 1.5 inch hale. Makes for interesting camping. Did get a chance to fish East Lake, nice healthy largemouth live in that water. All nice fighting fish. Big blue Lake produced several largemouth. Holiday's seem to attracted rain and people, I planning a midweek trip next year.