Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 11:59:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

it's bushman time again

Started by Frank, August 01, 2013, 01:44:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

I think it's time for bushman again.   what do you guys think?   last year the weather was horrible but dk  still managed  a 20  inch bass.   for those that don't know,  this is a row boat or canoe only lake and is catch and release for all species.   what day shall we pick?   and we should not put me in charge of blast off as I am pretty slow getting there it seems

djkimmel

Can we line up some high school football players to carry any boats larger than a canoe? ;D

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Frank

now that's an idea.   besides,  when you really need to get to the other side of a ten acre lake you might as well do 70.

djkimmel

I thoroughly enjoyed my fishing partner last year but carrying that boat up that long hill at the end was something else. I think we just need to invite a few big teenagers to fish with us. I want to save my energy for 2 20+-inchers this year!

Fish smarter, not harder.

Besides, it's good to get kids out fishing!

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Frank

djkimmel

Yes. I think our boat was too long and/or too wide. Can't remember. I was roomy and pretty stable though. Which is good... because I'm clumsy. Especially in chilly, windy rain. I forget all about that when a 20 inch largemouth bass smashes my frog though!

djkimmel

Since this is a special event, I think you should repost it in the General Discussions board at the top and put out some ideas about possible fishing event dates.

dartag

Di you have to lift the boats over a fence. I have a 14ft flat bottom with a trailer and wheel dolly for the front of the trailer.  Could we use the trailer to take the boats down to the lake.   Looked at the lake on Google earth but could not figure out where you launched.     

djkimmel

There's a couple places you have to go up and/or over a fence or wall-type obstruction. You park in the lot and then carry everything in down a long path to a dock/canoe/kayak access site.

The first obstacle is a moderately tall fence around the parking lot (and the whole park along that stretch) so anything has to be lifted over that. There is an opening for people to walk through but it is blocked by another short fence so no one is able to drive or trailer anything down that path. You can walk through it carrying something over your head.

Frank figured out a way to get a narrow boat in off the road and under another dock/walkway through a narrow opening.

If you go there, make sure you have an Oakland County parks pass before you enter because they will write you a ticket and you have to pay the ticket even if you go to the office or one of the locations some miles across the county later after they open the same day to buy one. They say because that's 'how everyone does it.' Not. I used to go early into the state parks all the time before they put up some of the vending machines or dispensers and fish, then buy a pass on the way out or mail payment for one depending upon the circumstances. Never had to pay the ticket as long as I did that. In the past I have also paid a time or two on the way out of a Metropark - been a while and the nice lady for Oakland County said, 'that can't be true...' whatever...

I did try to edumacate the nice people at the nearby park office later that day about ways to make your parks more convenient and friendly to all users. Not sure I made a dent? My patience for bureaucracy (also known as anti-common sense) was short that afternoon. Probably would take a more concerted effort, maybe by a resident.

They don't open up the nearest park until later in the morning but I was told that 'sometimes' the hidden office opens 'early' I think 8am or 8:30am and if you know how to find it in the trees down a side gravel road you can go buy a pass there first. It would be a lot more convenient and visitor-friendly if they put up dispensers. Not everyone lives there or buys an annual pass ahead of time.

It is a very nice park and a cool, different, interesting set of lakes. I plan on going back and try again. Preferably with a lighter boat, or some teenagers ;D when it isn't blowing, freezing rain. Really nice place for canoes and kayakers. There are the walkways that I believe shore anglers can fish from.

PS: BIG pike in there too! So hang out to your expensive stuff...

Frank

here are my available dates
labor day
9-15
9-22
9-29
weekdays

as far as access, from oakhill rd there is a fishing dock thing.  i put in a 12' row boat at the road and i can slide it under that dock and climb over while doing so.  i think a 14 would work but i havent tried.

Frank

djkimmel

I know 9/29 I will be busy over in Muskegon at the Toyota All-Star but I'll check the other dates. Moving this up into General Discussion to see if we can get some anglers together.