Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 02:14:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

P Line FlouroClear

Started by Big dreams, June 19, 2013, 09:39:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big dreams

Anyone use this stuff?  It is great line for the most part.  I keep having issues with line snapping after a day of use.  I find that after each day, I need to strip 25' off or else I lose a lure while casting.  Just makes a loud SNAP and the lure flies away.  I thought it might be my rod but it happens with all of them. 

bigjc

Sounds like junk to me. I demand a line that is more dependable than that, which is why I stick to mostly co-polymer.

gmetime24

Tried this line in the past and didn't like it. It's not 100% flourocarbon it only has a coating of flouro on it. Memory of the line was bad also had a couple break offs. Pline makes a good line that is 100% flourocarbon called ultimate flouro, don't have any problems with that

Slipkey

The Flouroclear is my least favorite line that P-Line makes, though I'm a fan of their CX (also fluorocarbon coated), CXX and Halo.   I've run in to bad batches of premium lines in the past that were brittle. Most of the time, those were purchased from small tackle shops (or places like MC that don't work through their line supply fast) and had probably been sitting too long on the shelf or wasn't stored properly.  Now I mostly buy line from high-volume retailers like Cabela's.

I personally like the fluorocarbon coating as it seems to add a bit of sensitivity to the line and, since fluorocarbon is slicker and more resistant to dirt, casts farther.  IMHO, ditch the Flouroclear and go with CX Premium or a full Flouro.

rudycard72

I use P-line flouroclear and have for several years, without any issues. I also use a line conditioner withit.

Big dreams

I use line conditioner as well.  Bad thing is I bought a 3000 yard spool from BPS and only have used maybe 1000 so far.  So the CX is flouro coated, is the CXX coated as well?  I was thinking about switching to Seagar InvisX.

thedude

used to use it alot and liked it. was very strong line for the # rating. That said, i don't use anything but fluoro or braid these days. I went back to some pline in a pinch a year ago and could barely fish with it. just doesnt feel right.

i would highly recommend a good fluro like seagar invizx or trilene 100%. i've heard pline fluro is good too.
West Michigan Bass www.westmichiganbass.com
Palehorse Custom Rods

FOB

I have used nothing but 10# FlouraClear on my spinning rods for the last 5 years - have had zero issues.  No memory, breaking, issues - non.  I would take a Q-tip and check all of your guides though, as that my be the problem. 
Ralph Blasey
Wonderland Marine West  734-417-5550

Slipkey

Quote from: Big dreams on June 20, 2013, 12:37:46 PM
I use line conditioner as well.  Bad thing is I bought a 3000 yard spool from BPS and only have used maybe 1000 so far.  So the CX is flouro coated, is the CXX coated as well?

CX Premium is also flouro coated.  Invisibility is actually the least of flouro's benefits.  The "slick" factor in repelling dirt and grime is a big plus.  That's one of the reasons why the use flouro waxes and powders for race skis on old snow - it repels the dirt in the snow better (off-topic but I was having a Cliff Claven moment...).   Fish for a day in waters with a big algae bloom, cottonwood, etc. with flourocarbon coated line vs. mono and you'll see the difference. In addition to FOB's good point about your guides, the bulk spool might might also be suspect, per my previous post.  I doubt they move many 3000 yard spools in a year, whereas their filler spools probably rotate frequently through inventory. I'm sure BPS would exchange the spool for you if you let them know the problem.

BIGSHOW

I've had no problems with Seagar InvisX. This stuff is great on baitcaster and spinning. I am extemely happy with the spinning. I haven't  had any problems with it at all. Way better that mono in most situations. The only problem is i've switched from useing palomar knot to the clinch knot which I used to use. just seems to work better.

Big dreams

Quote from: FOB on June 20, 2013, 04:54:35 PM
I have used nothing but 10# FlouraClear on my spinning rods for the last 5 years - have had zero issues.  No memory, breaking, issues - non.  I would take a Q-tip and check all of your guides though, as that my be the problem. 
I was thinking the same thing and will do that tonight.  I haven't done it yet because I am having the same issues with all rods that have it on.

djkimmel

I have bought spools of various brands in the past when I went through a lot more line that I thought had a problem. It sometimes caused me to switch entire brands. Fishing line does have a shelf life. I would think you got a bad or weak spool? I've used a fair amount of Floroclear and haven't had those kinds of problems. I tend to use it more for leaders on Spectrex IV braid now because I use so much P-Line HALO instead on my spools. My personal favorite.

Keep fishing line stored out of light, especially direct sunlight. With anything fluorocarbon, make sure knots have good lubrication before pulling it tight. Fluorocarbon is dense and quickly build heat which quickly weakens fishing line. Better quality guides also help with Fluorocarbon. All that casting, retrieving and fighting fish also can build up heat.

I believe CXX does not have any fluorocarbon in or on it. It is a copolymer blend of different mono lines as far as I can recall.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

bigjc

I have stated this before but it is worth stating again: I only use flouro when fishing ultra clear water.  For about 75 percent of the fishing that I do, I swear by Silver Thread copolymer line.  I use 8pound green for spinnning and 10 - 17 pound for most baitcast applications.  Anything heavier than that and I switch to braid.

I now only have flouro on a couple of rods and use absolutely no mono at all, inspite of the fact that it probably has a few good applications.

BIGSHOW

Mono's still good for top water,buzzbaits and some spinnerbaits. At least from what I've read/done.

bigjc

I would agree that mono is good for top water applications, but since I don't keep a rod in the boat dedicated to topwater, I don't see a need to keep one with mono.

BIGSHOW

Good point. And thats pretty much true for me. Although i have one, most of the time I don't have it with me. I just use one of my others. if I kept one for every app. I wouldn't have room

djkimmel

Not as big a deal to have an extra reel or two ready to go and just swap them out on a rod if you need to change up.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.