Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:28:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Here's how I power load my boat. Not legal in some places.

Started by WillCFish, May 17, 2013, 05:10:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WillCFish

Boat loading made easy for me so I don't have to get out.
Not saying this is the safest way but it keeps me out from between the truck and trailer and the dock.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DT4m8d2E_7c

motocross269

Definetly not legal in Michigan......DNR officer told me I was good driving on as long as boat was in Neutral once it hit the bunks....

djkimmel

The Michigan law actually reads that you can be in gear but can't go over idle speed on the trailer. I have a copy of the wording I keep somewhere in my boat in case someone needs a reminder...

That is not how I have seen the sheriff deputies at Elizabeth Park enforce it though. They say they have a 'tougher local ordinance' that will get you a ticket if you are in gear once you hit the trailer. I have seen them there in the past writing tickets at the end of a tournament.

Personally, I always think... why don't we ENCOURAGE boating and fishing by building the boat ramps right in the first place. But that's just how I think. Maybe not everyone else...

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

motocross269

That is where I got it from was Elizabeth Park...

I also heard they were puting out the same info at the Harley Ensign from Macomb County sherriff....I don't know that first hand though I have a history with Macomb county at that site so I tend to stay away from there if I can... ;D

Can you get me a link to that wording or a scan...?? God knows I may need it some day... ;D

djkimmel

I can get it, but again, if there really is a local ordinance, that may supercede the state law. Especially if you're on a non-MDNR boat ramp. I've never seen a copy of any local ordinance. I asked. But I noticed he had a gun (and a little attitude). I, however, was unarmed... who doesn't like a good power trip once in awhile ;D

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

djkimmel

You have reminded me of an old issue I never followed up on - the repealing of language in the old administrative rules of language pertaining to power loading on state land?? I have no idea now where it is actually defined anymore. If it isn't actually defined in an order, rule or law somewhere, maybe it's not really illegal?? ;D

(8.1 Repealed. Am. 8, 2002, Apr. 13, 2002
Publisher’s Note: The repealed order pertained to the power loading of vessels at state access sites)

Here is the language that used to be in various regulations such as: REGULATIONS OF LANDS ADMININSTERED BY THE MICHIGAN DEPARTMENT OF NATURAL RESOURCES (there spelling on admininstered not mine)
- This excerpt contains rules relevant to State Lands, other than State Parks and Recreation Areas. For details on State Parks and Recreation Areas, review the complete regulations, Eff. October 18, 2001. By authority conferred on the Michigan Department of Natural Resources by Section 504 of 1994 PA 451 MCL 324.504.

GENERAL RULES (History: Eff. Oct. 18, 2001)
R 299.922 - Unlawful acts generally. Rule 22 - On lands owned or under the control of the department, it is unlawful for a person or persons to do any of the following:
- (w) To operate the motor or motors of a vessel at more than idle speed at any boat launch ramp administered by the department, unless the propeller is disengaged.

WillCFish

Been gone a while. Good to know that Michigan has laws against power loading.

mikesmiph

YpsiBass

Illegal or not, I've seen plenty of people load their boat like this, albeit not on the throttle for quite so long.

Big dreams

t-bone

That is just wrong. It's why so many ramps are blown out. You don't need to leave it in gear like that. Most bass boats don't need this treatment like his deep V does to keep it on the trailer (assuming the ramp was designed properly).
Terry Bone
Bass Anglers of Michigan
The Bass Boys - TBF Club
2013 Ranger z520c w/ Evinrude ETEC 250

djkimmel

That last part of yours is the key part - 'assuming the ramp was designed properly. If we designed and built ramps properly we could powerload even if it is minimal - as many modern boat trailers are designed.

It's not like we are building lots of new ramps in Michigan... I have said it many times - they can do it if they want to as they did in Lansing on the Grand River. It's cheaper to spend a little more the first time, dike off the ramp area, pump it out and extend the ramp out to long, flat concrete apron. They can launch the big ole River Queen or whatever it is on that ramp no problems.

It's more cost-effective to build the ramp right the first time than try to buck human nature and modern trailer design, always ending up spending more in the long run on ramp repairs... though they don't do much of that anymore either.

Just another part of my 'master plan' to make Michigan the example of fishing/boating friendly before I die, not the weird outlier no one can figure out or understand...

fishhound

Loading a big bass boat without being underpower is difficult for me because you have to dunk the trailer so far. Ive seen enough messed up fenders to know I want to use the bunks as a guide and push it on.

Kal-Kevin

no need to power load if you do two things, buy bumper covering that hold water, second wet the bumpers before loading your boat. Both of these things make the boat slid on better and you do not need to power load it.

Thanks Dan for your copy of what they say about it

djkimmel

Quote from: fishhound on November 15, 2013, 12:48:42 PM
Loading a big bass boat without being underpower is difficult for me because you have to dunk the trailer so far. Ive seen enough messed up fenders to know I want to use the bunks as a guide and push it on.

Some trailers are easier to load under less power, and ramp depth and angle have a lot to do with it too.

My trailer is 20 years old and not angled like the newer trailers. It's more flat so that last 2 to 4 feet can be a work out on boat ramps that aren't angled just right even if they're deeper.

Real shallow or real steep ramps are lots of fun, especially when I'm by myself. I sometimes have to make several trips between the truck and the boat backing in a little more or pulling out a little more, and back again. I leave the motor in gear, have a hot foot so it is only at idle but that helps me crank it on that last few feet at many ramps.

I've still had a few people holler at me for 'powerloading' because my motor is in gear. They obviously don't know that actual law - if it still exists in Michigan somewhere - I can't find it anymore on the books though it is being enforced at times so don't go at it anglers and boaters. With so many of our ramps built short and/or wimpy powerloading with lots of force will damage them over time.

Plus, we can't forget Elizabeth Park where they will ticket you even if you motor is just in gear once it hits the trailer. I haven't launched there with my boat in a looooonnngg time because getting it back on my trailer with those short, steep ramps is a multiple truck adjustment, cranking workout that just about does me in for the count now! Plus... I've had my parking brakes line snap there not once... but twice!!! Try that sometime with a big truck camper on the back (especially when I had my old manual transmission by myself!!!!)

Fishing is supposed to be fun, not heart attack inducing... (plus! nothing says 'welcome to our boat ramp' quite like a deputy standing on the dock leaning over staring at the back of your outboard with ticket book and pen in hand ready for you...!?!  ::))

If I go there, I'm going with someone else who has a lower, angled trailer, and when we can use the multiple adjustment buddy system. It is possible in some water depths (especially now if we get a sustained West wind) there to back off that ramp too so be careful there! I've seent it a couple times and it ain't pretty having your axle stuck on the back edge of that concrete...

21XDC

2003 21XDC Bullet
250 Yamaha V-Max
I like fast boats and fishing.. I can do both the same day.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

mikesmiph

Too bad Michigan doesn't build their ramps good enough to allow it, but it's what we have for now. Nothing more than an idle.

21XDC

Yep... We pay 50K for a rig that comes with carpeted bunks, made for power loading, And because Michigan builds short ramps I have to crank up my 22 ft boat with a 250 HP motor with a winch... Just like a row boat..
2003 21XDC Bullet
250 Yamaha V-Max
I like fast boats and fishing.. I can do both the same day.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

djkimmel

Just one more project to get them to consider building ramps designed for many modern boats people actually buy and use (not just bass boats either). I still have some say they can't do it but they can AND HAVE done it. They did it in Lansing on the Upper Grand River. It costs more up front but a lot less down the road. For everyone!

All we can do is keep plugging away at getting to know the people who make these decisions better and keep asking them to consider changing with the times...

WillCFish

I'm with you that they need to make some ramps on a lake so you can power load. Just keep after them