Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 07:53:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Deeper Payouts or Top Loaded in Small Field Events?

Started by spinnerbation, April 03, 2013, 03:15:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

In tournaments with a Smaller Field, would you prefer Top Loaded Payouts, or Paid Deeper into the Field?

Top Loaded
Deeper Payouts

spinnerbation

I run a small tournament series and I am just trying to get a general idea of people's opinions about what Cash Payout Structure they prefer.

Dashforcash

I am a big fan of Top Loaded Payouts on smaller events. If I am gonna take my time to drive some place an put in the effort to win I want it to be worth it. But on the other hand Deeper Payouts keeps the guys who are just starting out coming back for more. So I guess its a catch 22. Deeper payouts keeps the moral up. But as a competitive angler Top Loaded is were its at.

spinnerbation

Ya I feel the same way. As someone else pointed out on another board, nobody fishes for second place. But my series started out as an annual single event, so we are still in an early growing stage.

Based on the feedback I am leaning more towards a hybrid of the two. Add more base level pay spots and load the top 2 or 3 finishes. We also get product from our various sponsors every year that helps us pay deeper also. Something like this is what we are leaning towards:

20 Boat @ $100 = $2000 Purse

1st - $900
2nd - $540
3rd - $300
4th - $160
5th - $100
6th - Prize

dartag

100 % payback   Not bad.  Where are you located. 

spinnerbation

We are located about an hour from Windsor in Ontario right on Lake Erie. Google Maps Erieau ON. It is a peninsula that is between Rondeau Bay and Lake Erie to the South. Pretty decent for both LM and SM. Here is the link with details about the event:

http://www.greatlakesbass.com/forum/index.php?topic=16717.0

marty3

Go top loaded. I started fishing 20 yrs ago when payouts were 1 in 7. Then they went to 1 in 6, then 1 in 5, then 1 in 4, and now they are getting ridiculous with about every 3 1/2 getting paid. I know you may always get  a father wanting to go out with his son, or some newbies to fishing, so people try to appeal to them. I personally think there aren't as many newbies, everyone has gotten pretty good over the years, and  if you had a small field, I'd rather leave having won something, then 30 or 40 bucks trying to pay 1 or 2 spots too many. Also, what's up with different ciruits going away from a $ 10 big bass pot it seems. A lot that used to, do $5 now? I think clubs are going to have to get creative if gas prices keep going up to get guys to come. If gas hits 5 or more by next spring, I may have to just throw my entry fee into the tank and fun fish, rather then spend all in the vehicle and boat just to win a small amount.
:)

gr@ssmonkey

Quote from: marty3 on June 10, 2013, 08:34:54 PM
Go top loaded. I started fishing 20 yrs ago when payouts were 1 in 7. Then they went to 1 in 6, then 1 in 5, then 1 in 4, and now they are getting ridiculous with about every 3 1/2 getting paid. I know you may always get  a father wanting to go out with his son, or some newbies to fishing, so people try to appeal to them. I personally think there aren't as many newbies, everyone has gotten pretty good over the years, and  if you had a small field, I'd rather leave having won something, then 30 or 40 bucks trying to pay 1 or 2 spots too many. Also, what's up with different ciruits going away from a $ 10 big bass pot it seems. A lot that used to, do $5 now? I think clubs are going to have to get creative if gas prices keep going up to get guys to come. If gas hits 5 or more by next spring, I may have to just throw my entry fee into the tank and fun fish, rather then spend all in the vehicle and boat just to win a small amount.

yea what he said :(

Waterfoul

Quote from: gr@ssmonkey on June 10, 2013, 11:23:53 PM
Quote from: marty3 on June 10, 2013, 08:34:54 PM

yea what he said :(

I have to agree with the hybrid approach.  I fish quite a few local clubs each week and we really like it when we get new people... and a better chance at winning back some money will often keep them coming back and grow the sport in the long run.  If you only pay top 3, and it's the same couple of teams winning every week it can get kind of "old" to the new guys.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

marty3

I guess if your a local club and you want to attract new anglers, you can do that if your paying back all, or close to all the entry fees, allowing you to pay a deeper field. I fished a weeknight circuit a couple weeks ago that took in 600 in one tournament and kept, just over 200. You do the math, that percentage is way to high. Again, with gas prices going up, I am having a hard time seeing percentages of 25-30 % kept by any organization, just to fish under their name. If guys are going to put out the money for gas in their boats, and tow vehicles, oil, bait, and any other expenses, they might as well pay themselves back. I would like to have seen more of this $600 going to the fisherman, then to an org.

gr@ssmonkey

;)   look for them there out there %100 pay back tournaments or %90, those r the tourneys I look for......

spinnerbation

We pay 100%. Gaming laws don't allow me to take a cut without a gaming permit. Don't want the OLG breathing down my neck if someone decides to be an a-hole and report me running these things! That and I fish the events I run as well, so really, I shouldn't be taking a cut anyways.

We've decided to go with a hybrid approach. Top 2-3 spots paid well, and if boat numbers are up we'll add a bottom pay spot or two that pays back entry fee.