Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 11:18:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

2007 DK Fall Open discussion

Started by djkimmel, January 09, 2007, 01:04:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

djkimmel

St Clair would be fun although it can be tough and intimidating to new visitors, especially in the fall. I wanted to do an event that go the mid and west side guys more involved.

Problems I see are a whole bunch of groups taking up entire weekends in September. You got TBF and BFL 9/12 - 9/16, Tear Drop and other events the 22, 23rd. There's ABA and some club/circuit stuff mixed in there too. Someone posted about the last weekend having some west side events too. I know some of the west-siders will be at Fish with the Pros that weekend too. Then you run into possible crappie weather and the regionals after that until later in October.

No matter what day I pick, I'll be on someone. I guess I need a good idea about how many anglers REALLY want to fish. I don't want to do it for 5 boats or less.

I'll put up three Saturdays on one poll and few lakes on another and see what we get. If there's enough interest still, I'll put it together again.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Dan

The thing about St. Clair this time of year, if you are like me, I don't know if I want to buy a Canadian license just for that day. Usually I'm over there a number of times and can justify the license cost, noth this year though. Could just make it a Michigan water event but... I'll have to agree that St. Clair, if the weather is good, is a fun place to be and would love to fish it.
I too have fished Hardy in September with not a fish caught. Maybe it's me, but I was with a local who knew the impoundment well.
I know Macbass would like Martiny, but I don't think there is that much water there that has fish. I have fished it three times and it wasn't pretty.
If you're not wanting to make the trek to the west side, which rules Muskegon, White,  Hamlin, Manistee, or Portage out then Cadillac and Mitchell are probably the place to be. Can't say it's my favorite, but I have fished it quite a bit, and it does have largemouth and smallmouth.
Hamlin, in our Tear Drop events, is always one of the best lakes for numbers and size. Doesn't matter what time of year it is you're going to need about 15 lbs. to win an event. A limit of 2-3 lbders. is pretty common. 12 inchers on Hamlin will have you running for the net. They are fat and pull hard on that lake. It has an upper and lower section so you can usually get out of the wind if it blows. It has largemouth and smallmouth. 25 boats pretty much disappear rather easily with the amount of water to fish.
If you want pictures or articles on these west side lakes check out the teardropbass.com website and there are articles that go back to 2004 on Cadillac and Hamlin.
If you go up to GT Bay at that time of year you takes your chances with the weather. There are good back up lakes though, Duck, Green, Long are all good September lakes. With all the advertisement that Lt. Dan has now I think he should get a bus and road trip us all down to Lake Fork. Looks like we got ourselves a convoy.
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

djkimmel

If I'm going to rent a bus with 'all' the 'ad money' I'm making, it will have to be an inflatable one... do they make those? With a strong tail wind, maybe we can float that far? Wait a minute... just got some more expenses in... shoot! Forget Lake Fork. Do you have any idea how much inflatable buses cost anyway?!?

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

dartag

i nominate KENT lake.  central location since most guys from down here.  no jet skis or tuna boats.  burn 2 gallons of gas if you idle all over the lake.      maybe PB will bring us all free baits.  about 6 miles to HOOTERS.  winner buys first round.

ss

Durand Dan

I'll second the Kent lake idea. I've even caught fish there.   ;D

motocross269

Dan,  I agree with you that is going to be a tough one to schedule.  I was checking out my calendar and September is tough.  Then you have the Regional the first weekend of October.  You won't be able to make everyone happy.  I would do just like you said and start polling people and see where and when the majority wants to fish and go with that.

Revtro

I agree with Kent as well.  Unless we can get some solid commitments from guys up North to attend. 
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

springlakebassman

All the choices but Mona sound great.  I host a charity night series and we fished mona first thing this spring.  We caught a lot of fish, but the lauch is so bad we ended up having to pull trucks out.  Hamlin probably would be the best fall fishing and I did see someone mention Hardy (If all else fails sept. and oct. have been excellent walleye fishing there.)

djkimmel

Are you talking about the main ramp on Mona behind the Denny's? If so, I haven't been there in several years, but don't want to go if the main ramp is that bad. I may shift the lakes a little anyway once the date is picked shortly.

Cy

The main ramp at Mona is rough but it isn't that bad.  It is two lane and a kinda beat you these days.  It is nothing like Muskegon or White but I think I will be fine for a small tournament.  I fish Mona once in a while these days and I like it.  I would fish there in the fall.

Cy
Cyrus Ruel

West Michigan Bass
www.westmichiganbass.com

Xtreme Bass Tackle
www.xtremebasstackle.com

OST
www.ostusa.com

Westside Garage
www.westsidegarage.net

Bender

I checked out Chippewa yesterday when I was in the area. The ramp is one lane and there is not the most parking, but there are a number of cabins in the area. I'll post some pictures later.
- Chris
www.nemesisbaits.com

djkimmel

Bender

Chipewa, sorry. I forgot my camera in the car again tonight. I will try to get the pics up tomorrow.
- Chris
www.nemesisbaits.com

macbass

there is enough parking for 20 trailers and the fishing is usually pretty good also I was there last sunday and had probably 15 keepers. plus there is a tourny there this saturday and next weekend sunday will post results..

IF ITS NOT A CAT ITS A DOG: BASSCAT PERFORMANCE BOATS www.thedropshotdenny.com www.hookednhunted.com

basscat74

Macbass what club is fishing chippewa saturday and what is the entry fee and what not, I been there a couple of times it fishs alright.

dartag

i voted for Ovid also.  about as far as i would want to drive.   is chippawa south of Evart.  too far for me.
i see the LSCN toad fest is sept 22.

have fun

macbass

chippewa last saturday took 15.62 lbs to win 15.30 was second and that is for 5 fish. of course my 5 only weight about 8 lbs but that is fishing

IF ITS NOT A CAT ITS A DOG: BASSCAT PERFORMANCE BOATS www.thedropshotdenny.com www.hookednhunted.com

djkimmel

If I have enough interest to go farther for the west side members, I have no problem doing that. You east siders that don't want to travel can get back at it next spring again... although, any day fishing...

1javelin

Pick a date and lake already so we can see who is going to be there, and then if general concensus is that the lake needs to be changed, you can pick a lake from a hat.  I want to me some of you guys and all of this arguing over how far is getting ridiculous.  We have to drive to St. Clair, not that we don't appreciate getting to fish it.  You can come halfway across the state or more.  Look at it this way; 48 gallons of fuel in the boat for St. Clair, that will get you approx. across the state and back and enough gas to fish (smaller lakes).  We go there and it's looking upwards of $300 just to drive and fish. :o :-\' :'(   Have some decency already. :-* :-* 
Live to fish, Fish to live.

djkimmel

I don't think anyone is arguing. People are just stating their opinions. I am in the inenviable position of having to figure out what to do with no real clear consensus on a date or lake that may draw enough members to meet the goals of getting a bunch of us together to meet - I'm not rolling in the dough anymore than anyone else so I don't want to spend my money or expect others' to for an event that might not accomplish its purpose.

I put off picking the date until this coming Monday and should have said so by now. The reason being is that traffic is way down this week on the site. I think everyone appears to be getting ready for the various tournaments, or have other things going on. Monday is usually the biggest day on the site - I will say the date will be either the 22nd or 29th, but probably the 29th. I will announce it Monday night.

Part of having a forum is having a lot of different opinions from different regions. I have worked hard to increase the participation from northern Indiana to NW Michigan on that west side, but participation is still lighter from that side. That's just numbers and the way it is.

I want to accommodate everyone as fairly as possible, and appreciate all everyone on the west side has done to get more people participating on GreatLakesBass.com. There are really only 6 or 7 west side members who seem to want to fish.

And no, I don't want it to only be west side members. The goal is to get as many as possible to meet. As you've seen, if I pick one date or the other, I already know I'm losing a number of people who are presently interested either way. I'm not fond of fostering hard feelings having anyone thing I picked a date to prefer one person(s) over another. That will not come into play.

Monday night, I will pick the date and 3 lakes to make a final choice from. We'll go from there. I'm trying hard to be fair, so please, anyone who will only fish if it is on this date or that lake, remember I have 20 to 30 different people I'm trying to figure out the best compromise for KNOWING none will be very ideal. Thanks for your understanding.

I do promise this too - the event will be in the middle to west part of the state this fall, or not at all. If we can't come up with a date and lake that can get enough people there this year, I will continue to work to get more members and more interest among members in wanting to attend such an event and do it again. It will happen.