Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 08:27:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

2007 DK Fall Open discussion

Started by djkimmel, January 09, 2007, 01:04:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

djkimmel

Quote from: macbass on January 12, 2007, 07:11:27 AM
I undersand that DK i was just trying to make a point to Durand dan there is not really a home lake advantage you still have to catch the fish and anybody can do that on any given body of water if they pay attention to details..

Yeah - sometimes the 'home field advantage' is a jinx. I've only fished Martiny once from the end of a dock in the middle of the morning for about 10 minutes. I caught a small keeper largemouth on my 3rd cast with a buzz bait. I didn't think it was that hard ;D (I've heard the stories though).

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

macbass

iKnow that dan but i have to keep one up if that is possible..and DK you are right the home water jinx can be a killer sometimes.. But if there is any thing i can do to make this work I will do what i can but september up there can be real tough on all. Plus there is an open there the weekend after labor day for 2 days but the weekend after that is open up there and with a private ramp we dont need a permit. And for the travel situation a friend of mine has a place up there and drives from monroe and makes it in just about 3 hours depending on traffic.

IF ITS NOT A CAT ITS A DOG: BASSCAT PERFORMANCE BOATS www.thedropshotdenny.com www.hookednhunted.com

VinceR

I'm pretty much open to whatever is decided.

MIBassKid

I'm with Vince on this one, it doesn't matter to me where we go but i'll most likely show up, depending on how far it is, everything discussed is fine with me.
-Kid

motocross269

What about Houghton lake? That is a good lake in the fall once it gets to cold for wee boats. 
Pretty easy area for Logistics also.
Cadillac and Mitchell are good too. Also a good area for accomodations.

djkimmel

We've had a heck of a time in the fall without going into mid-October or later... but that creates its own new problems. It has seemed best overall to shoot for the 3rd/4th weekend in September the past two years, but turnout has been low.

Maybe the W/NW guys can list known significant events over there in later September?

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

stackenem

;D ;D ;D  Is it time to reopen this chat now it is real close to the 1st of Aug.
Remember you don't quit fishing when you get old, you get old when you quit fishing

fiker

I agree.  The last entry before Bill's was in April. 

The lake we fish doesn't matter to me.  So far, I've yet to weigh in a fish at either DK Fall event.  The comradery however does.  I've met and ridden with some top notch people at all three events.  I'm ready for #4. 

I won't be able to do an overnighter, but anything I can drive and fish in the same day is ok with me.

I still like the  3rd or 4th week of Sept. though.  It is before bow season, and seems like it has interferred with the tourney guys the least.
So much water.  So many lures.  So little time.

Member of  Downriver Bass Association

www.buildwithmomentum.com 734.649.9390

macbass

well here we go the last weekend of september mid state has a tourny at sanford and wixom the weekend before that grand bass has there fish off on the grand river at portland on sunday and a draw lake for saturday. and september 16th mid state is on crystal lake. not sure about the rest of the west side clubs.

IF ITS NOT A CAT ITS A DOG: BASSCAT PERFORMANCE BOATS www.thedropshotdenny.com www.hookednhunted.com

Dan

The Tear Drop Track and Trail Tournament Trail has its $5,000 two day Classic the 22 and 23 of September.

Hamlin Lake would be a good lake to fish although it is a true West Side lake. Cadillac and Mitchell is a weedy, muddied mess but it always seems to produce fish and it's more central with lots of accomodations: State Park, Hemlock Park (National Forest Campground on Mitchell). State park is about $25 a night. They have one cabin they rent and one that may be done by September. Hemlock is about half that price and is a nice campground but no electric. I still like Hamlin though in terms of fishing.  I have a cabin that can sleep about 7 in beds and lots of floor and tent space that I am more than willing to have company at. It's equidistant from Ludington, Manistee, and Cadillac on the shores of Big Bass Lake. It's about 40 minutes from all three places.

"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

motocross269

Would White lake be better if we were going that far North West????  I haven't fished Hamlin for years so I don't know how the bass fishing is there.
I like the Idea of Cadillac and Mitchell..Nice area with lots of accomodations.  Campgrounds should be slow with all of the little squeekers back in school.

1javelin

I know spring time Hardy did well, so maybe that fishery could be good n the fall also?  Don't know if itwill fit into my schedule though, so keep me posted.

Jav
Live to fish, Fish to live.

TCook

How about lake st. clair again, it is michigans best lake and the smallies will be in the channels. You cant beat that, I would be willing to drive again for that.

T
FISH HARD!!!

Cy

I am open to any of the suggested lakes and should be open to fish them anytime after mid-September.  I have never fished Martiny but would like to.  Chippewa Lake is near there and is big enough for a tournament but lacking a little in parking.

Cadillac & Mitchell are always good, Missaukee in Lake City I have never been on but hear it is good.  Hamlin I would have an opinion on until the end of August after I fish it.

Hardy is one of my favorites.

I would stay away from Gun and Gull lakes, between GR and Kalamazoo.

What about Ovid near St Johns, I know Kimmel fishes it...is it big enough?

Cy
Cyrus Ruel

West Michigan Bass
www.westmichiganbass.com

Xtreme Bass Tackle
www.xtremebasstackle.com

OST
www.ostusa.com

Westside Garage
www.westsidegarage.net

Revtro

We did Ovid for the DK a couple of years ago.  It is plenty big enough for tournaments and a fun lake to fish.  Keep in mind though it's a no-wake lake.  It can be tough, but a beautiful lake.  No houses, no docks, lots of wildlife.
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

bassinman#1

Is Sanford too much out of the way for everybody? It has a nice ramp and bathrooms, picnic tables, and an awesome lake for smallies and largies.

Revtro

We did Wixom last year and it was a very small turnout.  Plus the fishing was tough, tough, tough except for the one lone boat that knew about the frog bite... DOH!  (Wasn't my boat of course)

Is Sanford a better fishery that time of year?  For a DK, I wonder if we shouldn't make sure we go to a lake where there is a good chance of most people catching fish.  Just a thought.
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

Cy

If we want to go to a lake that most people can catch fish then Hardy might not be the best choice.  IMO it can be tough!  I spent a day and a half up there last year mid September and could not get anything going!  I fished the entire things from darn to darn with hardly a bite!  ???

Cy
Cyrus Ruel

West Michigan Bass
www.westmichiganbass.com

Xtreme Bass Tackle
www.xtremebasstackle.com

OST
www.ostusa.com

Westside Garage
www.westsidegarage.net

1javelin

I may be open for anywhere, as long as no tourney is affected,my wife is not peeed 'on', and my work is not all consuming at the time.  I would be a boater also, so that may help.  How about this Dan; take 4 lakes and have a poll. Say Muskegon, Cadillac/Mitchell, GTB area, and another good one.  Set one week for the voting, only vote once please, and then figure out a good date.  Any day the last half of September works for me.  Just a thought ???
Live to fish, Fish to live.

TCook

I assume that St Clair is out of the question since it was the lake for the spring open? I just cant think of a better lake where everyone would catch pigs that easy.

T
FISH HARD!!!