Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 03:34:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Deep Diving Crankbaits

Started by Crankenstein Crony, January 24, 2013, 10:01:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crankenstein Crony

Does anyone know of bass crank baits that legitimately reach depths of 25 ft or deeper? I know the SK 10xd is supposed to reach 25ft, but its the size of a small mail box. Whether it is a small no name company, or a custom bait someone makes in their garage, Im interested in any info out there. Price is not an issue.

Waterfoul

Luck-e-Strike's Freak will get to 20 and it's normal size. 
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

MSURoss

Look into long lining with a 6xd silent

Got Fish??

Bill Norman makes a deep diving Bates that go's 25ft.

PineLk 49

Manns 30 plus.I have had good success Carolina rigging a shallow running crank also do it with a jerk bait. How many have tried this technique?

Mike S.

Quote from: Waterfoul on January 24, 2013, 10:50:46 PM
Luck-e-Strike's Freak will get to 20 and it's normal size. 

It is a funky bait though. I bought 3 of them. I did tie one on and make a few casts with it before season ended. With a normal retrieve, on a 7' rod with a 7.1:1 reel, it didn't hit bottom in 12' of water. Granted I wasn't out to really use it. I heard they were supposed to be real easy on you to retrieve. My thought, a deep diving crank is a deep diving crank. I also don't know if the things I heard were credible anyways. I will find out this year though.

Crankenstein Crony

I've looked into the Mann's 30+ and consistently find that it doesn't come close to the 30 ft mark. Seems as though it runs right around 20 ft like the other deep diving baits.

Waterfoul

Quote from: Crankenstein Crony on January 25, 2013, 03:23:00 PM
I've looked into the Mann's 30+ and consistently find that it doesn't come close to the 30 ft mark. Seems as though it runs right around 20 ft like the other deep diving baits.

Probably need to make a 100 yard cast on 2 lb line to get it to 30'.  Or long line it as someone else suggested.  Toss it out with the bail open and drive away from it... start reeling or troll it with a LOT of line out.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

detroit1

Somebody makes a sinking crank, i saw it on the web, but i never heard of the company's name (nor remember). Good luck getting one of those de-snagged...
WAVE THERAPY

thedude

i've caught fish on the luck e strike, but found that it doesn't dive any deeper than a 6xd - which has been the deepest diving i have found getting to 18-19 feet on 10lb line pretty consistently. I use the spro little jon DD a lot and it is very close as well.

as previously mentioned, you'd need 100+ yard casts to get any of these baits down effectively to 20+ feet. Look at the BASS tournament last year where the 2 winner were long-lining a complete spool to get their baits down the 30 feet. They were using 6xds for the most part.
West Michigan Bass www.westmichiganbass.com
Palehorse Custom Rods

thedude

Quote from: detroit1 on January 26, 2013, 01:14:59 PM
Somebody makes a sinking crank, i saw it on the web, but i never heard of the company's name (nor remember). Good luck getting one of those de-snagged...

i think that is bass-star that makes that. called "the dredger"
West Michigan Bass www.westmichiganbass.com
Palehorse Custom Rods

Manxfishing

Well

It might take a little trial and error
But useing storm stiky weight on the front of the bill will get cranks deeper
Going 25+ think out of the box, drill a hole in the front bill install a snap ring and use a 1/2 Oz bell sinker.
Once you figure it. you'll be the king.

Manxfishing

The other thing would be Line

As a walleye guy, trolling you really need to know dive curves and what makes them go deeper
Most dive curves are based on 10# XT line (.0134 dia.) line it's the std

In the Precision trolling book they have a chart with the target depths and it then lists what different line dia. will do
Useing that chart. At 20' (useing 10#) if you would use 10# braid instead you could achieve 25'
8# mono would be 22",  and 12-20# mono would be 18'

todd postill

try using 6xd changing treble hooks out to a heavier gauge wire and hook if needed use sticky weight and lighten up on the line. trying to find that fine line of getting to depth and not being so bulky that it dont perform natural.you can always drill a small hole and add bb,s then epoxy hole and paint..good luck

FishermanJohn

I use a Strike King 6XD or Spro Little John DD on 10# fluoro.  I can get it to 18' or so on a long cast - deeper if I use Storm Suspen-Dots or some lead wire wrapped around the shank of the front treble.

Got Fish??

Rapala makes a series call count down. They work well for me when I cast for walleye.

Waterfoul

I see Strike King's 10XD is supposed to hit 25 feet on 10 lb mono.

Manxfishing

dlittle344

Luckycraft is coming out with one designed by Skeet Reese. It is the S.K.T Mag 110 MR and 120 DR. The 110 is a shallow running square bill that will go to 14 feet. They are saying the 120 will go to 25 feet. The bait is sized to match the bait bigger fish are feeding on. By the look of the youtube video they are big but claim to have less drag then a normal size crankbait. The word on the street is they had them in there booth at the classic last week and sold out fast. Check out the youtube video.

Skulley

Rapala puts out a chart that will tell you what their cranks will run at using certain diameter line. Haven't seen a new chart. I got one that's about 20 years old and haven't seen any in a few years.

I usually use 10lb test. Norman DLN's are designed to run 12 to 17 feet. On 10lb test they'll run about 15 feet. On 8lb I've gotten them down to 17ft and hit structure at 15ft. That's making long casts with the wind. Always remember that line diameter is important for depth. I have Carolina rigged them and fished them deeper. A good technique during hot summer months when fish are in cooler, deeper water.

BD.                                  ;D
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com