Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 08:38:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

PAYBACK BASS WEST feedback

Started by TCook, January 24, 2013, 12:20:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pick 3, tournament dates (not set in stone) are May 25 or 26 July 27 or 28 Oct 5 or 6

Burt/Mullet (5/25 or 26)
3 (21.4%)
Leelanau (5/25 or 26)
2 (14.3%)
Hardy Dam (5/25 or 26)
5 (35.7%)
White (7/27 or 28)
7 (50%)
Cadillac/Mitchell (7/27 or 28)
10 (71.4%)
Portage (10/5 or 6)
6 (42.9%)
Leelanau (10/5 or 6)
2 (14.3%)
Burt/Mullet (10/5 or 6)
5 (35.7%)

Total Members Voted: 14

TCook

This is a $250 (per event) open team trail that myself and a buddy are seriously considering running this year if the interest is there. Our sole interest in running this is to provide what is lacking on this side of the state for all of you and ourselves, a trail where 20-25% of our money does not go to the directors and payouts will justify our time and expenses. We will not keep a penny from these events 95% will be paid back 5% will cover plaques, permits, and any other expenses involved. If anything is left over food will be supplied at the weigh-ins. This is not something I would normally see myself getting into but with the lack of any good options to fish in 2013 and with Jeff Cox having everything in order with Payback Bass it seems like we need this series on the West side. Your thoughts and insight would be greatly appreciated.

Tim Cook
FISH HARD!!!

TCook

I would also like to ask is sat or sun better and who would be intetested in fishing some or all of these tournaments?
FISH HARD!!!

Waterfoul

I'd be interested in one or two... honestly not interested in treking way up to Burt/Mullet due to financial constraints.  Could never get up there to pre-fish.  I can do a Saturday or two, already busy several Sunday's this summer.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

dartag

What is Payback Bass  is it a private series??

Crankinsmallies

I prefer Saturdays but like Waterfoul says Burt/Leelanau would be to far to travel.  As long as they are closer to GR/Muskegon, I am in for all 3. Need to keep it like Lake Drive did as far as locations and the boats will show up. Just no Cold water chain please.

TCook

Quote from: dartag on January 24, 2013, 12:37:14 PM
What is Payback Bass  is it a private series??

Payback Bass is Jeff Cox's high dollar open team trail that he has started this year. There is an east division already set and we are working on the west now.
FISH HARD!!!

TCook

Quote from: Crankinsmallies on January 24, 2013, 12:40:53 PM
I prefer Saturdays but like Waterfoul says Burt/Leelanau would be to far to travel.  As long as they are closer to GR/Muskegon, I am in for all 3. Need to keep it like Lake Drive did as far as locations and the boats will show up. Just no Cold water chain please.

Ya it is starting to look that way. Northern michigan as much as I hate to say it is looking like wont be practical even though thats where I want to go especially for the opening weekend which falls smack dab in the middle of the full moon.
FISH HARD!!!

TCook

At this point im leaning towards Hardy, White, Portage.
FISH HARD!!!

Crankinsmallies

Hardy, White, Cadillac will draw more boats. Whats the fasination with Portage? Also will these be open or closed tournaments?

TCook

Quote from: Crankinsmallies on January 24, 2013, 01:00:10 PM
Hardy, White, Cadillac will draw more boats. Whats the fasination with Portage? Also will these be open or closed tournaments?

All the other circuits are having there classics on cadillac late sept and portage is a great fishery thinking about mixing it up a bit. I like the idea of a lake that puts everyone on more of an even playing field since its not one the common locations. All tournaments would be open.
FISH HARD!!!

PineLk 49

October will be a coin toss for Portage or Leelanau, especially if you have West, North West or North wind and want to run. Will Portage hold 50 to 75 boats if you lock it in?

TCook

Quote from: PineLk 49 on January 24, 2013, 03:00:08 PM
October will be a coin toss for Portage or Leelanau, especially if you have West, North West or North wind and want to run. Will Portage hold 50 to 75 boats if you lock it in?

I don't think portage can hold that many boats it does fish kinda small. Since this is the first year we are assuming 25-50 boats. We might cap it at 25 or 50 teams depending on how many teams would be interested. Just trying to gauge that interest level at this point and what would work best for the majority. As of now we are pretty locked in with Hardy on May 26th and White on July 28th. The Oct 6th tournament we are still discussing.
FISH HARD!!!

Jmcfarland

I would love to see something like this for the Northern Michigan zone. Say an imaginary line from T.C. east to just south of Alpena. Not sure the interest is enough up here to make something like that worth while. I am in Petoskey area and deal with a 3 hour ride to fish almost any of the bigger opens. I can see why guys down there don't want to come to burt/mullet. The same reason I don't want to drive south 3-4 hours. It is expensive and if you work a Monday thru Friday job you probably only get the weekend before to prefish. Saturdays for tournament day would help as far as I'm concerned. I hate getting home late Sunday and trying to get ready for another busy work week. I would be interested in fishing a couple or possibly all depending on the locations and being able to find a partner who is willing to share expenses and such.  Just my 2 cents

TCook

OK heres the deal we are going with May 26th @ Leelanau, July 28th @ White, Oct 6th @ Portage (All Sundays). Not the most popular locations but with this being the first year we are capping the field at 25 boats which should quickly fill. If everything goes smooth we will look at expanding in 2014. If you want in be sure to act fast when registration opens.
FISH HARD!!!

gr@ssmonkey

can we reconsider...lol..i know it's tough..but basicly like the east side is st. clair/ detroit river/ erie.....the west side is grand river/ muskegon/ white/ maybe hardy and cadilac......i would like to see a 1 week off limits on these tournaments/on another note i wouldn't be able to make a opening day tournament,there's to many in everybodies back yard that weekend...if thats the schedule i would only be able to make white..><(())*>-------i like the concept though!!

Waterfoul

Yeah, I could only do the second 2... can't make it opening weekend, prior commitment.

No membership, right?  Pay at the ramp?
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

TCook

Quote from: gr@ssmonkey on January 24, 2013, 10:54:54 PM
can we reconsider...lol..i know it's tough..but basicly like the east side is st. clair/ detroit river/ erie.....the west side is grand river/ muskegon/ white/ maybe hardy and cadilac......i would like to see a 1 week off limits on these tournaments/on another note i wouldn't be able to make a opening day tournament,there's to many in everybodies back yard that weekend...if thats the schedule i would only be able to make white..><(())*>-------i like the concept though!!

Since we are keeping it at 25 boats because this is our first year we decided to mix it up a bit thinking it will not be a problem filling up. After discussing it over if this year runs smooth we will be looking to expand the field next year and probably take a more conventional approach when it comes to the locations. No point in having any off limits since you cant police it, nothing wrong with prefishing and that was our reasoning for holding the tournaments on sundays so guys that have to work mon-fri will atleast have sat to do so. Its impossible to work around everyones backyard tournaments we are going with a northern tournament opening weekend in hopes to hit the peak spawn with a full moon and leelanau will give everyone an even playing field since most guys dont fish there.
FISH HARD!!!

TCook

Quote from: Waterfoul on January 24, 2013, 11:10:23 PM
Yeah, I could only do the second 2... can't make it opening weekend, prior commitment.

No membership, right?  Pay at the ramp?

As far as I know Payback bass has no membership fee and with the interest Jeff, myself, and Mike have gotten on this it will fill up quick so we dont expect any openings at the time of each tournament.
FISH HARD!!!

Waterfoul

So we can just pay for the ones we are able to fish then?

TCook

Quote from: Waterfoul on January 24, 2013, 11:51:06 PM
So we can just pay for the ones we are able to fish then?

Yes just the ones you can fish, these are opens when each individual tournament gets to 25 teams they are full.
FISH HARD!!!