Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 03:23:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

The new term is Assult weapon these days

Started by Manxfishing, December 28, 2012, 05:56:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Manxfishing

Well
There not only after AR-15's

Here's the list, Allot of handguns will fall under this list

Following is a full summary of the 2013 legislation:

Bans the sale, transfer, importation, or manufacturing of:
120 specifically-named firearms
Certain other semiautomatic rifles, handguns, shotguns that can accept a detachable magazine and have one military characteristic
Semiautomatic rifles and handguns with a fixed magazine that can accept more than 10 rounds
Strengthens the 1994 Assault Weapons Ban and various state bans by:
Moving from a 2-characteristic test to a 1-characteristic test
Eliminating the easy-to-remove bayonet mounts and flash suppressors from the characteristics test
Banning firearms with "thumbhole stocks" and "bullet buttons" to address attempts to "work around" prior bans
Bans large-capacity ammunition feeding devices capable of accepting more than 10 rounds.
Protects legitimate hunters and the rights of existing gun owners by:
Grandfathering weapons legally possessed on the date of enactment
Exempting over 900 specifically-named weapons used for hunting or sporting purposes and
Exempting antique, manually-operated, and permanently disabled weapons
Requires that grandfathered weapons be registered under the National Firearms Act, to include:
Background check of owner and any transferee;
Type and serial number of the firearm;
Positive identification, including photograph and fingerprint;
Certification from local law enforcement of identity and that possession would not violate State or local law; and
Dedicated funding for ATF to implement registration

bigmojet

So if i dont give them info on every weapon falling under the grandfather clause i am breaking the law?

Mike S.

Guess I better get that Ruger 1911 I've been thinking about.

motocross269

Quote from: Mike S. on December 28, 2012, 07:21:07 PM

Finding a weapon could be tough....You can't find an AR type weapon anywhere..
All of this has been the best thing to happen to the arms industry since Pres. Obama got elected... ;)

I thought I read somewhere that Colt stock is up 300 percent since 2008...I haven't verified that myself though...

Mike S.

As soon as word spread about the AR's not being made, a young guy at my shop bought every one he could find between Muskegon and Fremont. He had 1 already, and ended up buying 8 complete guns, and parts to build 2 more rifles, and parts to build one that looks close to a pistol. He spent almost $10,000 that day. When you have a CCW permit, gun buying is a breeze.

As for the gun I want, nobody has it. I can't find a nice .45 to save my life. I wanted a Ruger, no luck. No Smith and Wesson. No Remington. Even the online dealers are out of them.

Personally, I don't see this ban helping anything. I see the point in carrying less ammo. I get it. But there will always be a crazy person who possesses an illegal firearm that will kill many people in a short time. Unfortunately that's how it is. They will just come up with something new and more destructive.

Getting rid of firearms isn't a cure. Banning firearms isn't a cure. Having the Constitutional right to keep and bear arms sets us apart from anyone else. We will probably never see a widespread attack on our shores for the simple fact that another country's army could not defeat our entire country. I'm sure there is a weapon in at least 80 percent of homes in the U.S. if not more. Nobody can touch us. I'm curious to see how things unfold.

Lightningboy

Be interesting to see how the recent Pitsburgh event affects all the discussion.

The perp was a convicted felon in possesion of 3 illegal weapons, including a bushmaster AR-15.  Perfect example of how someone who by law wasn't able to own legal weapons got them anyway.  2000+ gun laws that aren't enforced didn't make a difference.

I'm waiting for Obama to direct the BATF to run a big, high media profile bust.  Can't wait for another Waco or Randy Weaver episode.

Another example of the Govt. treating it's constituents like 2 year olds having a tantrum.  "If you can't play nice, I'm taking your toys away."    >:(

bigmojet

I shoot a lot and don't consider myself a marksman of any sort  but if someone has unabated access like a classroom you could do just as much damage with a bunch of 5 or 10 round clips if no one to stop them.

Mike S.

I remember the Waco incident. It went down just a couple of months after we moved from Texas. Before that was the Luby's massacre in Killeen Texas. That happened shortly before we moved. We lived right outside of Killeen, in Copperas Cove. A wacko drove right through the front of the store and shot everyone inside.

Bottom line,  you can't stop idiots. Quit trying to impose new laws and worry about what we already have in effect.  It truly is a shame that people don't have ny regad for one another's lives. Why shoot up a room full of innocent children?  What does it prove? 

If the laws were enforced more strictly, maybe people would think things over a bit more.  Capital punishment in every state. No appeals. If you are guilty, you're gone. Done. No rehab. No second chances. No tax payers supporting you until you're parolled and released to be a menace to society again.

It may sound harsh, but it may be a good answer. There are so many variables in a situation like that. But no matter what, a group gets together and says that the blame is on guns. Guns don't kill. Irresponsible people with guns kill. People make bombs and kill a bunch of innocent people. That seems to fade away. Now a shooting, that doesn't go away.

As you may have noticed, I am totally aginst the banning of weapons. For many,  it is a hobby just like fishing is to all of us. The responsible firearm owner should not have to pay a penalty for the bad people who acquire weapons and use them with the worst of intentions.

No matter what is banned, someone out there will know how to make it or modify it.

Lightningboy

Problem is that people don't remember what happened yesterday.

I'm sure you've heard the statement before, "those who don't study history are doomed to repeat it".  But those other than the fanatics on each side seem to have short memories.

A vehement fanatic like Timothy McVeigh didn't need guns.  Rental truck + fertilizer + fuel oil = 165 people in Oklahoma dead. 

Randy Weaver should be a poster child to everyone.  Was he an out there fanatic? Absolutely.  Was he within the law?  Yes.  But an oppressive govt. That needed a "win" decided to make an example of him.  End result?  Fourteen year old son dead, and wife shot to death with a head shot through the front door while holding his year old baby.  I remember watching the congressional hearings, including the actual front door to his cabin with the bullet hole being admitted to evidence.  I had a baby daughter at the time, and remember being chilled by the testimony.

Again, I quote Ben Franklin, one of the smartest men ever alive.  "Those who give up liberty in the name of safety usually lose both".

I don't own any of the weapons in question.  But again I defer to Mr. Franklin.  When signing the Declaration of Independence, each signer made a statement.  Franklin said, "we must all hang together, or surely we shall all hang seperately."

I pray the present administration doesn't try to make a public example of anyone...we don't need any more sensless deaths.

But the possibilities of tomorrow scare me. :'(

bigjc

Quote from: bigmojet on December 29, 2012, 05:47:59 PM
I shoot a lot and don't consider myself a marksman of any sort  but if someone has unabated access like a classroom you could do just as much damage with a bunch of 5 or 10 round clips if no one to stop them.

A fairly strong and relatively athletic 25 year old with an easton baseball bat could take out a room full of 1st graders in a few short minutes.  Maybe we should ban bats also.  Just to be on the safe side. ???

t-bone

I checked and COLT Defense is a privately held company and don't trade stock...

Quote from: motocross269 on December 29, 2012, 01:30:24 PM
Quote from: Mike S. on December 28, 2012, 07:21:07 PM

Finding a weapon could be tough....You can't find an AR type weapon anywhere..
All of this has been the best thing to happen to the arms industry since Pres. Obama got elected... ;)

I thought I read somewhere that Colt stock is up 300 percent since 2008...I haven't verified that myself though...
Terry Bone
Bass Anglers of Michigan
The Bass Boys - TBF Club
2013 Ranger z520c w/ Evinrude ETEC 250