Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 09:39:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Catch & Release tourney?

Started by fowlmouth, December 19, 2006, 11:47:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fowlmouth

Hey Dan, How about a C&R tournament to kick off the season?

Skulley

That is a good idea.  Say a paper tournament to kick the season off in early May.  Or better yet, a paper tournament on the first day of catch and release season on the last Saturday in April.  DJ could call it the:

THE FIRST ANNUAL DK PAPER BASS TOURNAMENT
How about it DJ???  Would you be up for that??  I think that is a great idea.

BD        ;D
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

Revtro

Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

dartag

how about Cass early may paper tourny..  1000 acres tons of bedding smallies and some of them green fish.  i'll cook the hot dogs.

stackenem

I'm in sounds like a good idea to me. I haven't been on Cass since July 22 2006. I need to get my nerve up to drive there again.
Remember you don't quit fishing when you get old, you get old when you quit fishing

Hooksetter

Sounds good, can it be scheduled without conflicting with the ABA paper tournaments that will hopefully be scheduled in May? I would like to fish those also.

Willie
Peace.
It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble or hard work. It means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart.

djkimmel

I was planning on having the event on Lake St. Clair in May, but we can look at Cass too if more members want to go there. As soon as I get ABA's schedule, I can pick a date.

I have to add - I do feel a little leery about taking stackenem back to the scene of last July's tragedy??

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

fiker

Count me in.  I"ve never been to Cass, but that's ok. 
I'd never been to the last two locations of the DK open either.
I thourghly enjoyed myself both those days too.

However, I have been on Clair before.  She is my true love as far as lakes go. 
So much water.  So many lures.  So little time.

Member of  Downriver Bass Association

www.buildwithmomentum.com 734.649.9390

Skip Johnson

Id be in also if it didnt conflict with ABA's tourney I think it will be the first sunday of may, Id rather fish st clair on the opener but I will go to cass if need be.
Do you think we would get enough co anglers to participate becouse ya cant pry me away from my boat especialy on the opener.
Go Big or Go Home!

joshimoto son

My goal this year:

TO MAKE SURE THAT FIKER50 WEIGHS A FISH AT THE DK OPEN!!!

SO Ricker... Santa will be bringing you a case of dynamite, a harpoon gun (the whaling kind... not one of those wimpy hand ones) and some dolphin safe fish nets.  ::)

Rick is a true example of a "class act fisherman"... when he's out there, catching fish or not, you can really tell he's having fun.

joshimoto son ;D

MIBassKid

You know i'm in! Either lake is fine for me. Maybe we should set a poll for which lake?? I'm figurin to fish the EBA and we are going to fish both of these so i don't care which.
-Kid

stackenem

If it is on Cass I will be there just taking a different road to get home.
Remember you don't quit fishing when you get old, you get old when you quit fishing

Revtro

I'm groovy with either, although more guys will probably catch a good bag on St. Clair...  It's just so eeeeeeasy that time of year.  ;D
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

MIBassKid

I'm down for easy :D especially for being in the back end of the boat on spawning fish. But i'm sure we'll have fun either place.

fiker

New techniques!  Yeah that's the ticket.  With a couple of new methods I can probably weight in at least a 2#er.

I'm intrigued with the harpoon gun.  But, it raises several questions.
Would it matter if one uses a harpoon with high modulus graphite, or is a stiff handle the best choice?  My thoughts are that sensitivity isn't that important.  Do most guys use laser sights with harpoons, fiber optics, or is it simply point and shoot?
And what about color?  That time of year I'd probably want a red tipped spear wouldn't I?  I'm guessing that we're not looking for a reaction bite with this technique.  One things for sure, it would be equally effective on neutral and active fish.  Maybe even better on inactives.
Of course I'm also betting that I'd need a good pair of polarizing glasses, as harpooning is no doubt a site fisherman's technique.  I"m guessing that crimeleon is the better color to have that time of year.
Dynamite. 
I'm sure that length of cast is very important when employng this technique.  Especially in shallow water.  So I'm guessing that long over hand casts are the way to go.  Does anybody use this technique when skipping docks or is this primarily an open water technique?
Will I have to experiment with different size weights?  Or is rate of fall not that important?

These are good ideas Josh.  I'll look forward to Christmas morning.

I've secretly been working on own my "special weapon".  I"ve been converting and old grunt call into a fish call.  The concept is so simple, I don't know why nobody's done it before.  Duplicate the mating call and you're in like Flint.  There are however two minor set backs I've encountered.
I'm having trouble fine tuning the reed.  When tested so far, I don't think the fish have had a chance to react.  The darn deer keep splashing the water too much as they run into the lake.  Especially the bucks.  Maybe a higher pitch? 
And then there's the timing piece.  Can the call be used too early prior to the rut, I mean spawn?   And just how often should it be blown?  Can the call be overworked?

Well anyways, I'm reasonably confident that I'll have the kinks ironed out prior to the season opener.   At that time I expect to have several prototypes available for purchase.  I'll also be looking for investors, for those of you with too much money. 
Once underway I'll be assemblying a Pro Team to promote the call on the circuits. 
Oh sure, everyone will point and laugh at first as they see you on your knees blowing bubbles into the water.  But imagine their chagrin when you cash in at weigh in time.

joshimoto son

Quote from: fiker50 on December 22, 2006, 09:09:21 AM

Dynamite. 
I'm sure that length of cast is very important when employng this technique.  Especially in shallow water.  So I'm guessing that long over hand casts are the way to go.  Does anybody use this technique when skipping docks or is this primarily an open water technique?

Skipping docks with dynamite sounds fun all by itself... I would be sure to employ the jetski pattern!!  :o

joshimoto son ;D

fiker

I never thought of dynamite for pwc's. 

I've always used a decoy and blast nets. 

I place a silouette of a fisherman in a 12' aluminum row boat on the water. 
When the skiers come close to bother the fisherman, I deploy the blasts nets.  Much like catching Canada geese for banding. 

It's loads of fun!

I thought of employing a similar method for the Tuna Boats in the north channel of Clair.  Instead of using blast nets, I'd use remote cannons at the water level. 

Oh the sickness of it all!