Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 06:43:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Almost Winter Fishing

Started by rufus, December 18, 2006, 07:15:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rufus

Unbelievable, last weekend here in extreme NE Indiana we found two spots that had 3 inches of ice and were ice fishing. We did very well and I decided to boat season was over and I turned it to "winter position" in the pole barn so my wife and my vehicle could be parked in the barn for the winter months. Well after a very warm week ice fishing was quickly over after two days and yesterday after church I could not take it anymore. Out came the vehicles and the boat was once again pulled out. I don't winterize it, I only drain all the water out of the motor and boat. I have to keep it ready at all times for emergencies such as these. My buddy AngolaJones, my father-in-law, and another hunting and fishing friend of mine decided it was time for a quarter, nickel, nickel tourney. A quarter going to the largest sack of fish, nickel for big bass, and a nickel for most fish caught. I thnk I fish harder to win these common little tourneys that we have than I do BFL's ;D. MY father-in-law and I pulled into the boat ramp just ahead of them and we were both on the water fishing by 1:15. There are no 50 yard rules in this tourney so when we pulled into the honey hole we were quickly joined by them and were trading casts. I was able to make a few casts before they got over to us (due to the cold blooded Merc) and on the 5th cast caught one just over 19 inches just as they were pulling up. Well it got ugly quick and I was told how this fish did not count because they had not made a cast yet. I told them poat problems were not my problem as I dropped him in the 'well ;D. The first thirty minutes were very good as grandpa and I put two more keepers in the box and 3 shorts. Brad and Jimmy also caught 3 nice keepers and 7 shorts, but no 19 inchers 8). Grandpa and I were looking at least a quarter because the nickels were offset at the time. The action died quickly after the first 30 minutes due to this area being very small and I don't think the fish enjoyed all those heavily hooked blade baits flying past their heads. Grandpa and I made the key decision to go out to the main lake and look for some big'uns and Brad and Jimmy stayed to wait out the smart fish to see if they would get a little dumb again. As we were idling over to our next area I drove over a spot I had never fished before, but it looked real good on the graph. I spun the boat around and within 15 minutes caught two 16 1/2 inchers to finish out our five fish limit. I quickly called Brad to let him know that limit was complete. After about a half hour he came idling out to find his new water. Grandpa and I ended up cathcing two more 16 1/2 inchers and lost 4 other fish. Two of which were pushing 5 pounds (but we didn't need them ;D). Brad and Jimmy did find some more fish, but they were all short. At the offcial weigh-in Grandpa and I recieved the quarter for largest sack and a nickel for big bass 8), we did unfortunately have to give the nickel back due to the fact we only caught 10 bass and they caught 16. We fofgot to throw in the junk fish pot and it is a good thing or we would have been down to 20 cents. We caught a bluegill and a small perch and Brad and Jimmy caught a small perch and a decent perch (whew that was close).
In all seroiusness all of our fish were caught on blade baits in 8-12 feet of water. Grandpa, Jimmy, and I caught ours on 3/4 ounce custom made blades in gold/red scale pattern. Brad (he was going for the numbers) caught his on a 1/2 ounce gold silver buddy.
Seeing this week is also supposed to be above normal, I may have to bring the Triton out several more times ;D.
God Bless and Good Fishin'!

SethV

Nice!   ;D

It was killing me to follow the wife from store to store, shopping mall to shopping mall this weekend.  My boat was begging me to get out of the garage, but alas, it did not happen.

Rufus is my hero....

Seth V

Duke

I knew I should have gone to a lake! I went out on the St. Joe River on a stretch I'm not too familiar with and got skunked. I even threw live bait! Oh well...
QuoteRufus is my hero....
I second that now!
Duke

canvsbk

Duke used to be my hero - now this live bait incident! >:(
Rufus has moved up to the top spot now, tough luck for Duke I guess.....
Look past what they want you to see.

rufus

It is wonderful to not have a bass fishing season in Indiana. We were out last year from early January on. Don't get me wrong, I love to ice fish, but nothing beats fishing out of the boat for those early season bass that are stacked tight in little tiny areas. In my opinion, the absolute best time of the year for numbers and size.
Andy, you must never admit to using live bait :o. This could cause you pain for many years to come. You are only allowed to use live bait when ice fishing and the occasional spring walleye or crappie trip, but never for bass. I hope you have realized the error of your ways and will never do it again. (at least don't admit to it) We will all just forget you said it and move on. I hope this does not cause me loss of sleep.
Seth, my wife offered me a shopping trip also. It was very, very tempting, but Leonard made me go. I really had no choice :'(. Maybe she will try and let me go shopping again if it is warm on Christmas weekend.
Mark, I hope we can move past this thing with Andy. It will be hard and we may have to seek some form of therapy. Another fishing trip this weekend may do it. The thing I am worried is that if he gets addicted to it he may just start heading to the counter asking for crawlers or minnows and forget all about all the pretty baits in the isles he could be wasting his money on. I hope it isn't too late :-[.

canvsbk

Duke has actually been under suspicion for some time now. The man had a day off back in October and chose to go fish the Grand River. I knew then he had some serious problems, but hoped it was only temporary. Now this deal with the nightcrawlers has loomed it's ugly head, what could be next? Minnow buckets? Cricket cages? Catalpa worms?
Hopefully he will be allowed a nice long afternoon at THE MALL with his wife soon and then perhaps he may begin to see things clearly again.
Considering the season, I guess I'll just place him on probation for now...but I'll be watching very closely in the future.

Rufus, to you and yours, and Duke and Company too....I wish you a wonderful holiday! :) :)
Look past what they want you to see.

rufus

I bought a couple of batteries from him last summer and while I was their I could have swore that I saw a few horseweed stalks laying in the back of his garage that were cut in half. I really did not want to say anything about it then, but since it is now in the open I must. When I was a kid I thought it was cool to find horseweed worms, but I quickly grew out of that. This may be a long standing problem and more serious than we thought. He may have a live bait addiction :o. I believe a lot of prayer is needed for him. We were talking about him coming over my way to do a little ice fishing, but being close to little live maggots may not help his stituation. If we can't get him broke of this we may have to steer him towards WALLEYE TOURNAMENT fishing (I know I said it!). Andy, you just be sure of one thing, we are your friends and we are willing to help. Even if it means taking you fishing and not allowing you to have a pole, whatever it takes.
Mark, it may be possible he went to the Grand because he thought he could get away with live bait. He thought he would blend in with the catfishermen ;). That is my theory. I mean he had all those big beautiful brown fish just north of the river to go after and he didn't. This is my only explanation, I can't figure it out either. I helped him out little before he went on navigation and a few techniques, but I did not realize I was supporting his "HABIT".
(Andy, I did not actually see any horseweeds, but I just could not help myself ;).)
Merry Christmas to you guys! Hope to be ice fishing soon!
Andy you have to forgive us it is Christmas ;D! I hope you get that well deserved shopping trip!
rufus

Duke

Wow! I'm kind of at a loss of words. My cheeks hurt though from all the  :D :D ;D. You guys are hilarious. I'm glad I was able to provide you guys some cheap humor. Speaking of my addiction, I'm kind of on a 12-step program to recovery: the first step is admitting the problem. Hence, the reason for my last post. I got it out in the open!!

My addiction started back in high school on a trip to Kansas when a buddy and I discovered that the grubs that live in cow manure are a magnet for big catfish. We had a blast! (True story.)

Rufus, when I knew you were coming over, I had big minnow tanks I had to take out of the barn and put behind it; it was tough, but I just got them out just when you pulled up. Plus, I have a great pile of cow manure with ripe grubs. Its special manure, I have it brought in from Kansas. I was praying we wouldn't go behind it and I'd be caught.

The Grand River is a great fishery!  ;) What is so improbable of a man wanting to fish it in mid-October when he's got a day off? I guess I could have stayed home and fish the St. Joe River ??? or Wawasee  ::) I needed something new. Besides, its my intention to whip your butts in the BFL in a few years; I was just getting ready (the real truth though, I heard there was fierce bite by the bluegill on bee moths. thats the real reason I didn't catch any bass).

I never fished minnows before Saturday. A buddy of mine introduced me to the technique and I can officially say its sucks!  :-[ I will say though, my hands still came home smelling like fish as a consequence... I think that's the beginning of an addiction  ;) Oh no!!!

Merry Christmas and to all a Good Night!
Duke

REEL_MAN

It appears that all is lost and Duke has gone to the other side :'( sounds like my grandfather talking manure piles, bugs and grubs. It's a sad day. But  seriously, if you get over to the Angler they have a great selection of bugs, grubs, spikes and above all cane poles and big bobbers. ;D

Merry Christmas and Blessings to all

REEL MAN

McCarter

Quote from: Duke on December 19, 2006, 09:38:29 AM
My addiction started back in high school on a trip to Kansas when a buddy and I discovered that the grubs that live in cow manure are a magnet for big catfish. We had a blast! (True story.)

I hear ya, diggin through manure has always been a favorite past time of mine as well.

Plus, it works wonders on dry, scaley hands!

:-*

McCarter himself :-\'

225XS4Garza200PXL

Heath,

You're killlin me here... I did winterize my boat already... but that won't stop me from going back out... i've just had finals and have been concentrating on that... my last one is Wed... hmm... if its nice I might hook the ole Stratos up and go...

Jose
Jose Garza

Guide and Tournament Angler - Book a Trip Today!!
www.josegarzafishing.com

Stratos Boats - The Performance Company
www.stratosboats.com

Wonderland Marine West
www.wonderlandmarinewest.com

Provider Tackle - Pro's Choose It, We Supply It!
www.providertackle.com

Nemesis Baits - Hand Poured Goodness in Every Bag!
www.nemesisbaits.com

Mizmo Bait Co.
www.mizmo.com

Cheetam

Quote from: 225XS4Garza200PXL on December 19, 2006, 12:21:33 PM
Heath,

You're killlin me here... I did winterize my boat already... but that won't stop me from going back out... i've just had finals and have been concentrating on that... my last one is Wed... hmm... if its nice I might hook the ole Stratos up and go...

Jose
Don't forget your old pal Jeff has winter break off too Garza!  If you need company, let me know...
Jeff

dartag

you boys get brave enough Union lake is wide open.  let me know i will get out from under my Blankie on the couch and bring some hot coco out to the breakwall.   TV fishing is much better. 

ss

Cheetam

Jeff

dartag

still have not thawed out from Kent lake.  in my old age i am turning into a fair weather fishermen.  Lola has a 60 or higher degree clause in her contract.
think spring.

happy holidays to all

bosshawg

to make things worst, received yesterday cabella's master catalog and today BPS's master catalog already for 2007. got our club's schedule for 2007, how much longer?? i'm getting anxious.
w/this weather, should be walking the shoreline along kent just to wet a line. to think that end of october's 'chiller thriller' we had cold temps, freezing rain and snow flakes the size of vw's. go figure....
this weather has been a piece of cake.
if it feels good - SET THE HOOK!!

Michigan Bass Busters

fiker

I was thinking of finding a lake where I could fish for Pike from shore by casting since my tip ups right now are useless. 

So much water.  So many lures.  So little time.

Member of  Downriver Bass Association

www.buildwithmomentum.com 734.649.9390

stackenem

Fiker just take the inner tubes out of you trailer tires and tie your tipup in them and then let it float around the lake then just chase them in a canoe. I am trying to figure out pontoons for my shanty as pike spearing opens Monday. I think I need a 8 ft pontoon boat cut a hole in the middle and put the shanty over it and just float around the lake. Think there are any rules againist this. I haven't seen anything in the rule book about you have to be stationary if so there are always anchors.
Remember you don't quit fishing when you get old, you get old when you quit fishing

djkimmel

Ya know - you might actually start something new there that could create a new big industry...

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Durand Dan

;D Caught a 12" Smalley in the Shaiwasse today. Last day of the season tomarrow