Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 07:28:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Truck questions

Started by mikesmiph, December 06, 2012, 04:15:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikesmiph

Here's my problem. I drive 120 miles a day back and forth to work. I drive an S-10 that gets about 24 miles to the gal, and it still costs me 15-20 a day for gas. Then I have my full size truck. If I drive it to work, its more like $25-30 a day. Plus the fact I pay insurance on two trucks, and plates, and maintenance, which has been killing me lately. But, the S-10 won't pull my boat.
I don't want a new truck, maybe around 2009 or later. 20-25K? I need to know if anyone knows a truck that will pull my boat, and get somewhere close to 20 mpg when its not pulling the boat. I'm mostly interested in getting it at a dealer, because I want to trade in both of my trucks and not have the hassle of trying to sell them. I've heard about trucks that go from 8-4 cylinders when cruising. Do these work? What kind of mileage do they get? What years? Brands? Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm thinking I'll probably drive the S-10 through the winter and buy a truck in the spring, so I'm not in a big hurry. But, if the right thing comes along, I would get it now. Oh, btw, I would really like 4X4. I know it cuts down on the MPG. I'm sure some of you smart guys on here will have some advise for me. Thanks

LAPORTE

Ford F-150 Ecoboost... Done... ;D
2008 Skeeter 20I " Thanks Robin"

Waterfoul

Quote from: LAPORTE on December 06, 2012, 05:11:01 PM

The $20-25,000 part of Mike's question puts that truck out of his reach.

Mike, Ed Dyer's GMC Sierra 4x4 extended cab gets about 20-22 mpg normal driving and aout 14 towing his 18' Ranger.  I know because I've driven it a lot of fishing trips and it has all the bells and whistles including the fuel mileage computer.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

markgoetsch

sell the S-10 and by a car that gets 40mpg.

mikesmiph

Can't pull the boat with a car that gets 40mpg lol.

mikesmiph

Mike, do you know what year, and engine it has in it? All the 4X4 ext cabs I'm looking at say 18mpg

LennyB

I'm in a similar situation. My plan is to find an F-150 with the EcoBoost 6cylinder. Motor Trend did a report that said it was an excellent truck for towing and as good of milage as any full size rig. They towed a bigger camper half way across the country and had 4 full sized passengers and raved about the power this setup had. I would make friends with a used sales person at a reputable dealer and have them call you when a low milage, excellent condition, right engine, color, etc... comes in and be perched and ready to buy. The guy I deal with found me a loaded rig that had an original sticker price of $37,000 that I picked up for $17,000. It was 2 years old with 13,000 miles on it and like brand new. It will be hard to duplicate that deal but if your patient and ready when one comes in, you can get a great deal.

Good Luck ~ Len B.

Mojo

The V-6 ford ecobox is a nice choice in this segment, but is costly ? , but you have trade ins and that gives you options. So  contact my friend Rob Grossheim  at Hillsdale Chrysler. He is waiting for you. He beat EVERY dealer I went to- when I traded in my F150 - by $3000.  Then he beat em again when i traded the 2009 accord for a 300 - by over $3000. That is a fact. He has partners in Iowa that need trucks. Detroit truck market is glutted so you won't get squat for them here.  888 505 9153.

The RAM is your Motor Trend 2013 TRUCK OF THE YEAR. The 25 mpg RAM starts at $25,000.

I also found you a leather 2010 ST V-6.  It gets 19 real world mpg, and was voted best work truck in 2011 by cars.com. It's hunter metallic brown. AT Car ID:   AT-13EE8A7F  
On auto trader.com.

The RAMs built after 2009 are off the new WCM quality platform that has transformed the company, giving them the highest quality increases in the industry
(meaning the rate of improvement)

Serious though, call Rob.
Thanks Dan for bringing year round Catch and Release to Michigan

Waterfoul

Quote from: mikesmiph on December 06, 2012, 06:25:19 PM
Mike, do you know what year, and engine it has in it? All the 4X4 ext cabs I'm looking at say 18mpg

It's an 06 or an 07 I think.  He drives like an old lady though!   ;)

I should add that it does run on 4 cylinders during easy/light load situations.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

customfishn

Mike if you want to save money buy an older diesel.  The money you save from buying a newer truck can go in the tank to even the whole thing out and some of the older diesels get really good mileage.  You could get a really nice Dodge with a 24 valve cummins and pull 20 or better for 15k or less.  My old beat up Chevy got 25 with out the boat and 19 with the boat. 

motocross269

Quote from: Mojo on December 06, 2012, 07:25:57 PM

The V-6 ford ecobox is a nice choice in this segment, but is costly ? , but you have trade ins and that gives you options. So  contact my friend Rob Grossheim  at Hillsdale Chrysler. He is waiting for you. He beat EVERY dealer I went to- when I traded in my F150 - by $3000.  Then he beat em again when i traded the 2009 accord for a 300 - by over $3000. That is a fact. He has partners in Iowa that need trucks. Detroit truck market is glutted so you won't get squat for them here.  888 505 9153.

The RAM is your Motor Trend 2013 TRUCK OF THE YEAR. The 25 mpg RAM starts at $25,000.

I also found you a leather 2010 ST V-6.  It gets 19 real world mpg, and was voted best work truck in 2011 by cars.com. It's hunter metallic brown. AT Car ID:   AT-13EE8A7F  
On auto trader.com.

The RAMs built after 2009 are off the new WCM quality platform that has transformed the company, giving them the highest quality increases in the industry
(meaning the rate of improvement)

Serious though, call Rob.

The Eco boost option is less than 1k bucks... The only problem is you can't get it in a base model.. With sales on the F series Eco boosts being so high and if the demand is there you will see that motor show up in the base models soon..

I have thought about buying a daily driver but with the cost of insurance and maintenance on an extra vehicle it doesn't pay off for me...

My F150 FX4 2006 is at 170k with no major issues...

YpsiBass

My 2010 Ram 1500 gets 18 mpg on the highway for the thousand miles I've driven it so far. It does shut off four of the cylinders in the hemi and it's 4wd.  I bought it used for around 23k with 27k miles.  Wasn't a bad price. Still has the factory warranty on it, but it's not going to get the 20-25mpg you're looking for.

Lightningboy

Not trying to be a smart a**, but ever thing about moving?

Besides the money and wear and tear on the rides, you're spending two hours a day behind the wheel. 

That's two hours a day you can't fish... :(

Mike S.

Mike, all of the newer trucks are probably in the ball park on fuel mileage. I have no complaints with my '00 Silverado except that it's not a pretty new truck anymore.

In all honesty, my next truck is going to be an F250 diesel. I have several buddies who run these trucks. With the exhaust mods and a programmer, they do awesome when towing. The extra cost per gallon doesn't really matter when you are getting decent gas mileage towing. And besides, they are pretty bad behind in the looks department.