Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:42:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Yamaha skeg repair

Started by Mike S., November 07, 2012, 09:09:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike S.

Does anybody know of a place on the west side that could repair the skeg on my Yammie?  I busted a good chunk of it off, and hate it. Can they be fixed, or do you have to replace the whole lower unit?  I looked into repair kits, but the ones I saw said they weren't for the VMax. Something about a concave skeg?  I really don't want to spring for a new lower unit. Scared to see what that would cost me.

Redbone

That is a tough one. :-[

I am assuming you don't have the piece that broke off. It would be a lot easier to weld the original piece back on.  Otherwise you would have to have a piece machined to size.  And then on top of that you would need to have someone with real good welding skills. Welding cast aluminum is a tough thing to do. Cast aluminum has impurities in it that makes it tough to weld compared to billet. Even if you found someone its going to be pricey! It definitely can be done, but... Unless it affecting the performance I would suggest leaving it or just trying the replacement.

Waterfoul

Mike, people get them fixed all the time.  I'd give the guys at Fisherman's a call and see who they use.  It's as easy as fixing a prop... I've seen it done.  You may have to paint it when they are done, but that's not too hard.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

Mike S.

Redbone

Quote from: Waterfoul on November 08, 2012, 06:45:58 PM
It's as easy as fixing a prop...  ::)

I guess it all depends on the amount of damage.

Waterfoul

Quote from: Redbone on November 09, 2012, 08:49:26 AM
Quote from: Waterfoul on November 08, 2012, 06:45:58 PM
It's as easy as fixing a prop...  ::)

I guess it all depends on the amount of damage.

I've seen it... not that bad.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

fiker

speaking of painting the skeg.  Can anyone recommend a type and/or brand of paint to do this with?   
My skeg has lost some paint over the years to sand bars and motor toter.

So much water.  So many lures.  So little time.

Member of  Downriver Bass Association

www.buildwithmomentum.com 734.649.9390

Lightningboy

Start your paint job with a good sanding to give the new paint a surface it can grab on to.

First two coats should be with self-etching primer to help adhere to the metal.

Next is the primer of your choice.  Then paint with a manufacturer recommended paint to match colors, or the auto paint of your choice.

Personally, I use black primer on the L/U.  The drag racers say primer is faster than paint; I like it because it's easy to retouch.

Mike S.

Fiker, Yamaha blue is a good color for any motor. Lol!!

fiker

My cowling is Yamaha blue, but I think the lower unit is black.  If they are supposed to be blue it must be that the previous owner painted it that way.

Now you got me wondering.....
So much water.  So many lures.  So little time.

Member of  Downriver Bass Association

www.buildwithmomentum.com 734.649.9390

Waterfoul

Quote from: fiker on December 18, 2012, 04:50:04 AM
My cowling is Yamaha blue, but I think the lower unit is black.  If they are supposed to be blue it must be that the previous owner painted it that way.

He probably put a Merc lower on it... looking for reliability and speed!  LOL!!!   ;D

stackenem

So is that called a Yamacury or a Mercaha
Remember you don't quit fishing when you get old, you get old when you quit fishing

Mike S.

Quote from: Waterfoul on December 18, 2012, 04:36:38 PM
Quote from: fiker on December 18, 2012, 04:50:04 AM

He probably put a Merc lower on it... looking for reliability and speed!  LOL!!!   ;D

Well then there are de finitely no Merc parts on it.