Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 01:14:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Fishing Report from Sportsmen's Direct

Started by raisinrat, October 11, 2012, 07:02:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

raisinrat

Overall it has been a tough week due to the weather for us fishermen. Low water is making some access points tough on the larger boats on the lake so use cation when motoring out to fish right now.

Perch: On the main lake guys are still finding perch and are still having some really good luck. Most guys are fishing areas that seem to be only producing in the morning for them. The water clarity is fairly good out on the lake from the few reports I have gotten in this week. Guys on the main lake are mostly fishing straight out from the 400 club area south to about GPYC a few are still spending some time further south near the lower dumping grounds and Delphine channel area.A few guys have been checking areas to the north of metro but things are still spotty up there by the reports I have gotten.

In the channels, cuts and marinas some guys have started to find fish in a select few of them. Boats are being pulled so if you have access to any of these areas via shore it might be a good time to start checking them. These areas should be improving from here on out.

Slip floats have been working best for those out on the lake due to the clarity and the need to get out away from the boat to catch the fish. The guys that are fishing the docks have started to catch fish on Ken's, Pan Assassins, Candy Plastics and other dock fishing favorites.

Gills/Crappies: Metro is still giving up a few in area for guys but the unstable weather has slowed the bite in that area. Other channels and cuts should be producing fish has well. Waxworms, Minnows, and plastics have been what most guys have been running.The main lake shallows should also be giving up fish. I would suggest letting the shallows warm a little from sun if you plan on fishing these area. water temps are in the low 50's right now.

ESOX(muskie): Guys are starting to really focus in on the key fall areas. If you're looking to chase the big girls try the area down by the head of the Detroit river around Peach Island, Spillway, Clinton River, Grassy Island, and Gull Island areas. Also the middle and north Channel should have a few ski's in it right now also.

Walleye: I have gotten reports that some guys are still jigging and catching fish in the upper Detroit river. Guys have been pulling wire in and around the North , Middle, and South Channel mouths. I also have heard that a few guys are starting to have some success in the North Channel whipping.

We are carrying some custom painted raps now.

Bass: Still some guys out hammering away trying to catch a few. The hot lure the past few weeks for us that guys are picking up are Lipless cranks. XR 50 and 1/2oz Redeye Shads in shad/shiner , translucent and perch patterns, those seem to be working best for guys. Some guys have also been throwing Spinnerbaits. I know Kevin VanDam was launching next door all last week. He posted this pic up on his blog. He was doing some filming for the Strike King Pro Journal TV series.

He said on his blog "I was there filming for the Strike King Pro Journal TV series this week and I've never seen a lake with so many big smallmouth. During one stretch, I caught 10 on 10 casts, and they were all between 3 and 4 1/2 pounds! They are fat, healthy and pull like bulldogs."

photo from http://www.kevinvandam.com
Justin Clark