Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:12:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Announcement about Viglink Link Ads in Posts

Started by djkimmel, September 20, 2012, 02:05:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

djkimmel

I had a hectic week with a death in the family so I forgot to announce something I am testing on this forum. About a week ago, I enabled a feature for advertising that will automatically create a link or two on forum pages for affiliate ads.

My ad revenue is down this year due to the tough economy as much as anything so I'm exploring other ways to improve things a little. I already have a mechanism that tries to create affiliate links with any link posted by anyone if they have an agreement. When anyone posts a link on here, whomever the link is for does get a positive benefit from having that link on a website with a good amount of traffic. It is only fair to get a small return benefit to this website if the company makes a sale or gains a new customer.

I am testing a Viglink feature that should look for keywords in posts and pages on the forum and automatically turn that into a track-able link. Even if you just mention a company name, they can get some benefit from the traffic on this website seeing that mention.

So if you see a link in your post you did not create, you can hold you mouse cursor over the link and you should see a message about being created by Viglink. It doesn't  affect your post and isn't any virus or anything. Just trying to help the website pay for itself.

If it appears to not do a good job of creating links for real companies and products, or has no measurable affect on revenue, then I may disable it in the future after a few months of testing - it takes a while for these things to even be credited.

Just wanted you aware in case you see a link in a post you make that you did not create and you wonder how it got there. I am avoiding the link ad types that popup product boxes and similar that other websites use because I find them unflattering and wonder if they lead to accidental clicks and visitor problems. If I don't think the gain is worth any additional hassle for all of you, I have learned to stay away from it.

If you have any comments or concerns, please share them with me by contacting me. Thanks.

As I try to remind everyone once in a while, you can opt out of ad tracking through several mechanisms detailed in the GreatLakesBass.com Privacy Policy. As required by the FCC, GreatLakesBass.com also publicly posts a disclosure policy about our practices or possible practices in an effort to make sure members and visitors do not think there is any purposeful misleading of anyone.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

djkimmel

Forgot to mention - I have not updated my Privacy Policy yet for this, but if you want to opt out and NOT see any of these automatically added links, please visit http://www.viglink.com/support/optout to tell their system that you do not want to and you will stop seeing them.

It can take several days for advertising cookie opt out actions to take affect.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.