Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 04:58:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Winterizing Your Boat

Started by Larry313, September 19, 2012, 01:08:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry313

Would you still winterize your boat even if you keep it in your garage?  The garage is not heated.

Waterfoul

Do you have an outboard or an I/O??   Heated or cold storage?

Honestly, as some one "in the biz" as they say, you should winterize your motor no matter where you store it.

If it's an outboard you should change the lower unit gear fluid so it is fresh and moisture free all winter, you'd hate to have a little water in there causing rust and corrosion while stored.  You should treat you gas and keep the tank at least 3/4 full.  You should then fog the motor and pistons to keep the induction system from shellacking and the rings from rusting and causing issues when you start up in the spring.  On outboards the temperature has less to do with it than the actually "layup" time.

If it's an I/O do all of the above plus change the oil and filter.  You also need to put marine antifreeze in your block and exhaust manifolds... even if you store it indoors and heated.  Marine antifreeze also contains anti-corrosive chemicals to keep your motors from rusting from the inside out.

Any questions, just ask.

Mike
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

fiker

I do all of those things and also grease all fittings. 

The batteries should be kept charged up as well, but first inspect to make sure they are at the proper water level.  Charging batteries with exposed plates can create a deposit on the plates and reduce the efficiency and life of the batteries.

A friend of mine jacks his trailer up and puts it on jack stands for the winter.  This leaves the tires free without any weight on them. 

I build a cover over my boat to keep the water out, but also allow air to circulate.
I prop open all boat hatches, and put dryer sheets inside to keep out rodents. 

I crank the trailer jack up high and then let it down onto a log.  This takes the pressure off of the jack for the winter. 

I remove the drain plug.  I also lower the motor to protect the hydraulic cylinder of the power tilt.

I fill my gas tank all the way and put in a product called "Phase Guard 4" that I purchased from West Marine.  It is one of the few treatments that actually claim to eliminate phase separation. 

On my HPDI Yamaha I also drain the small gas tank under the cowling, as well as empty out the fuel filter.  I drain the fuel line as best I can.

Sonar and GPS units come inside for the winter.  I put the cable ends inside plastic bags to protect them from moisture. 

I also put plastic a plastic bag around the trailer light plug to keep out the weather.

I put a good coat of paste wax on the hull after cleaning it.

I remove the prop and inspect it making sure no line has been trapped behind it.

It takes me about 1/2 a day to do all this.  But come next Spring, I want to just throw my gear in and take off.   

So far, no problems.  Knock on wood.

So much water.  So many lures.  So little time.

Member of  Downriver Bass Association

www.buildwithmomentum.com 734.649.9390

Lightningboy

Mine sits in an unheated garage for the winter.  I do the following:

Treat the remaining gas on my last trip out.  Driving with the treatment in the gas makes sure it permeates the fuel system.  I keep the fuel as low as possible, usually less than 1/4 tank.  I know that goes against conventional wisdom to prevent water in the gas tank, but I don't believe modern plastic tanks condense like old gas tanks did.  I'm more concerned with the gas loosing octane over the winter.  I fill up in the spring to keep octane loss to a minimum.

Gear gets pulled & stored in the house.  Winter is a great time to fix stuff, easier when it's indoors.  Compartments get cleaned.

L/U lube is changed.  Cylinders are fogged.  Batteries topped off & kept on the charger.

Cover on top to prevent dust.

Pet her a little to say goodbye for three months... :'(

motocross269

The best thing to do is make sure you follow the manufacturers directions for winterizing...Each Manufacturer's winterization procedures are a little different and they do change....

For example..Mercury does not reccommend "Fogging" optimax engines becuase of buildup in the injectors..They reccommend just puting a drop of 2 stroke oil in each cylinder...My old Evinrude it was fog away...I was glad that I went to the website before I put my new Pro XS to bed last fall....It could have been ugly come warranty time....

HellaBass

Quote from: Lightningboy on September 19, 2012, 06:45:28 PM
Mine sits in an unheated garage for the winter.  I do the following:

Treat the remaining gas on my last trip out.  Driving with the treatment in the gas makes sure it permeates the fuel system.  I keep the fuel as low as possible, usually less than 1/4 tank.  I know that goes against conventional wisdom to prevent water in the gas tank, but I don't believe modern plastic tanks condense like old gas tanks did.  I'm more concerned with the gas loosing octane over the winter.  I fill up in the spring to keep octane loss to a minimum.

Gear gets pulled & stored in the house.  Winter is a great time to fix stuff, easier when it's indoors.  Compartments get cleaned.

L/U lube is changed.  Cylinders are fogged.  Batteries topped off & kept on the charger.

Cover on top to prevent dust.

Pet her a little to say goodbye for three months... :'(

This is me, my boat's last trip is usually November and gets back out in late March

Big dreams

If we have a winter like last year, you will see me out on the lake on Christmas eve and New Years eve.  If that is the case, no need to winterize.  We can only hope  ;D

Larry313

Thanks guys I appreciate the input

Bender

Only other suggestion I have is to drain the water lines for your water pressure gauge and speedo (if you care about it). I've had 2 water pressure gauges get screwed up from freezing I think. I need to find the little hose back in the bilge and add a tee fitting with a valve for draining.
- Chris
www.nemesisbaits.com

Waterfoul

Technically neither of those gauges should ever see a drop of water... they are esentially just air pressure gauges and the water should never get that far unless they have a leaky seal.  That said, I've had to get a new water pressure gauge 2 springs in a row!!  The speedo hadn't worked since I bought the boat and I don't really care.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

Frank

this is what i do:

Change the lower unit oil
fish every week through December
fish twice a month in January and February
Back to once a week in March
after that Im on the water a lot

Frank

Mike S.

Quote from: Waterfoul on September 20, 2012, 09:37:41 PM
Technically neither of those gauges should ever see a drop of water... they are esentially just air pressure gauges and the water should never get that far unless they have a leaky seal.  That said, I've had to get a new water pressure gauge 2 springs in a row!!  The speedo hadn't worked since I bought the boat and I don't really care.

The speedo, Mike?  Boy, I caught all kinds of flack for that in the spring.

As for winterizing, I change the lower unit lube. The motor gets run up and down several times to get the water out. Jackplate and trim is left all the way down for storage. I run Stabil through the system on my last few trips. I generally try to have the tanks empty for winter. That's about it. My garage is insulated really well. I've never seen anything freeze in it.

My fingers are crossed that the boat only sits six weeks this year too.

BIGSHOW

When pulling the prop off to check for fishing line or whatever. Is it just a basic do it like you see it? There is a ring with a tab folded over and nut. Never bothered to mess with mine. Do you grease the shaft? Thanks

Mike S.

Bend the tab up, and take the nut off. Put it back together in the order it came apart.

t-bone

I just changed my prop and it does suggest you grease the shaft. Lithium Marine grease or check with your prop manufacturer.  I think the point of the grease its to prevent corrosion and to make it easier for the prop to slide off in the future.
I couldn't get my thrust washer off to put a new one on but I read that a few light taps of a small hammer will do it - going to give that a try tonight.
Terry Bone
Bass Anglers of Michigan
The Bass Boys - TBF Club
2013 Ranger z520c w/ Evinrude ETEC 250

BIGSHOW

Sounds easy enough. I guess there's always youtube to check out too. What did we ever do before the internet?

bigjc

Quote from: Frank on September 21, 2012, 02:22:23 PM
this is what i do:

Change the lower unit oil
fish every week through December
fish twice a month in January and February
Back to once a week in March
after that Im on the water a lot

Frank
When do you find time to work??? Yo are a lucky man!

BIGSHOW

Thats my problem. Finding time. That why I have the shop do it. Can make alot more working and let the pros do it. I always have extra parts

Frank

i only work 60 or so hours a week so I have lots of free time.  I do miss out on some things though.  I did hear once of something called sleep, I just haven't figured out how to do it without my boat getting lonely.  Seriously though, I work mainly from 6pm til 3am, and i do days on mon wed and friday.  my days are usually spent on a lake.  i just wish i knew how to catch fish

djkimmel

Keep it up like that and you'll... be real tired... but you might also become a really good angler.

Get some sleep. Sleep helps make you a better angler. Start slowly and work your way up to a little more sleep. It won't cut into your fishing so much...

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.