Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 12:34:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

I need oil for my 3-stroke outboard!

Started by Waterfoul, August 29, 2012, 12:55:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Waterfoul

Honest... had a customer ask me for 3 stroke oil yesterday.  Swore up and down that he had a 3 stroke motor.  When we told him there is no such motor, and that he had either a 2 stroke or a 4 stroke he litterally swore at us and said he'd just go to a boat store that actually knew something about motors.

See ya and good luck!

I'm not even sure you actually can have 3 strokes... seems like it would take everything out of balance.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

cameraguy

BSB

Rotary (Wankel) are kind of a 3 stoke motor. Not sure if they put it in a boat motor. I had an old Arctic Cat snowmobile with a Wankel in it when i was much younger.

fasttrack

That's why I got out of retail a long time ago. First customer I ever helped at my first (sporting goods) retail job asked "what kind of gun powder do I buy that will give the biggest explosion in a homemade cannon?" Soon after I was showing a couple guys handguns, then an undercover cop came to ask what they were looking at and chased them out of the store.

Although some people/clients know more about my current job than I do, just ask them!
Interstate Batteries      Rocket Marketing
Fast Track Appraisals   West Marine
Nemesis Baits              Kustom Kicker Jigs
CD's Engine Service     J&H Oil

motocross269

Stihl makes 4 stroke motors that your still have to mix oil in the fuel. ltd is just standard 2  stroke oil....Maybe it was something like that. I have never heard of it in outboards though. Maybe some off the wall brand..

djkimmel

I sometimes get told what I'm doing wrong on one website or another by people who have never run one. I listen just in case they really are a genius or something?!? ;D

I would have sold him a gallon and a half of oil and told him if you use it all at once it converts to 3-stroke oil!!!

I take it he didn't identify the brand?

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Mike S.

Hmmmmmm.......  Maybe you should just get with it. The customer is always right. Except for the stupid guy with the 3 stroke outboard.

Manxfishing

The easy way out
Would be to ask the make, year and model and then sell him the right stuff
But never mention that they don't make a 3 stroke
but charge double for the special 3 stroke oil. It's very hard to find these days

Botom line would be
He would be happier then hell to find the 3 stroke oil
and you'd make double. it's a win, win opportunity in my book

The customer is allways right!

dartag

Guess you could have taken 2 stroke and 4 stroke oil, mixed them together and then sold him 1/2 of it.   

Dan

"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

Waterfoul

Quote from: dartag on August 29, 2012, 05:53:33 PM
Guess you could have taken 2 stroke and 4 stroke oil, mixed them together and then sold him 1/2 of it.   

Now that's a great answer!  Maybe he'll come back and I can take care of him.  Or maybe he won't (this is more likely).
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

djkimmel

Quote from: Manxfishing on August 29, 2012, 05:46:23 PM
The easy way out
Would be to ask the make, year and model and then sell him the right stuff
But never mention that they don't make a 3 stroke
but charge double for the special 3 stroke oil. It's very hard to find these days

Botom line would be
He would be happier then hell to find the 3 stroke oil
and you'd make double. it's a win, win opportunity in my book

The customer is allways right!

You should be in customer service! There's a shortage of decent customer service-oriented peopled based on my experiences anymore with quite a few different companies.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Skulley

I may believe that there is a 3 cylinder engine but never a 3 stroke engine. I'm with manxfishing. Ask make and model and sell him the right stuff and tell him it's the special oil that's hard to come by. I would charge him triple and the knock 30% off the price. Then he thinks he's getting a deal. Best part is that he will be a return customer because he got such a great deal. He would tell all his friends about the great deal he got and before you know it, I got new customers increasing the clientele for my store. I got that University of Michigan degree I got in Finance & Marketing working for me. I guess all that college wasn't a waste after all.  My Dad would be proud of me. He was a Michigan man too. Final score Saturday:  Michigan 28.  Alabama  17. Denard throws for 230 yards and the team rushes for over 350 yards.     GO BLUE!!!!

BD.                   ;D
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

Waterfoul

Now that's a coincidence... I'm a Michigan Grad as well.  I majored in Marching Band though... did manage a degree in History too.

Rangerman

Mercury made some three cyl engines, I believe they were 65 hp.  ;D My uncle had one on a runabout ;D

Waterfoul

Yeah, that's a 3 cylinder... not a 3 stroke.

Skulley

Quote from: Waterfoul on September 12, 2012, 12:37:35 PM
Yeah, that's a 3 cylinder... not a 3 stroke.

I'm so confused...... :-\'

BD.                     ;D
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

djkimmel

Maybe he meant 3-cylinder? Or maybe you were on candid camera?!? If so, let me know when it is on!