Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 08:22:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

#1 Bass bait

Started by BIGSHOW, August 11, 2012, 02:03:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BIGSHOW

I was wondering what was everyones favorite bass lure,rig or tactic to use? I'm always looking to find new ways to catch bass. I guess mine has to be soft plastics. But I really need to diversify my knowledge. I've done great this year with the "wacky rig" but things are really slowing down and I was accually fishing Monday in about 3 ft of water and really calm out and I could see fish all over ,Large and smallmouth. But I couldnt get em to bite, all in about 15 min I bet I saw close to 100 fish(detroit river). Then the wind picked up and camoflaged them. Anyhow back to the topic...Not just in a situation like this what your go to bait?

Skulley

Since you were on the Detroit River, I will tell you what I like out there. My favorites are really those that put fish in the boat on any particular day. In the last few years, spinnerbaits and tubes have put quality fish in the boat. There are areas on the Detroit River where a crankbait is real hard to beat. As far as what is my go to bait for any body of water I would have to say is a crank bait. I'll tell you which ones are  better after the seasons over....so remind me then.

BD.                   ;D
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

oldjigger

Big Pig Jig   plain and simple

BIGSHOW

Seems like spinner baits work good. Last week got a couple pike on em too. Chartreuse was the color I used. What are some other good colors for det river/lake erie? I use white/red also. Never tried any others

Skulley

Spinnerbaits are really great out there in the fall BIGSHOW.  S.W.A.G. has a color that he named after me called the BigDog Shad.  It was pretty hot for me last fall out there for Detroit River Largies.  His St. Clair Shad was good there too.  I am partial to more natural colors out there.  Perch colored cranks are always good when you absolutely have to catch a fish.  They were really good for the bass around the perch fisherman last fall.  I'm sure they will be good again this year.  They have been pretty consistent from year to year.  Perch colors should be a standby for anyone who fishes Erie and/or St. Clair.

BD                         ;D

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

djkimmel

I like crankbaits a lot. But I like most other lures and techniques too. I switch around a lot and though many anglers don't like the answer - my favorite lure is the one they are biting the best that day or hour - that is more often my real answer. I have seasonal favorites. Lake and river favorites. Water type favorites. Weather condition favorites. Cloud cover favorites. Morning, noon, evening and night favorites. I used to fish tournaments and though it helps to be extra good at a few techniques sometimes, it really helps to be well-rounded. I liked tournaments because it often meant new lures and techniques on new waters.

Then you have someone like LGMOUTH who appears to use 4 things almost all of the time and does pretty good. He is an outlier though. Even he might have to add 2 or 3 more if he fished outside of the Midwest more. Maybe. Maybe not. He did add the Alabama rig earlier this year as a matter of fact.

I have always looked at it this way - every lure/technique is a tool. I don't pound screws in with a hammer (well, not usually). I use the proper size and type of screwdriver. I usually try to find the right lure/technique for the conditions. At least, that is what I did when I fished lots of tournaments. Exception being when the wheels were just falling off, I would fall back to a lure/technique I had more confidence, experience and enjoyment in using because it made a tough day a little more tolerable by simplifying things.

There are lures/techniques that kind of work like a multi-tool. Or, at least you can make them work that way okay or even pretty good. I guess that is what I really like about fishing - you can make it work however simple or complex that you want to. Since I don't fish tournaments really anymore, I often use the wrong tool (lure/technique) because that's just the way I want to fish today even if something I enjoy a little less might work better at the time.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Skulley

You make a lot of sense DK in a sport that makes no sense most of the time. I guess my answer is more like yours........whatever is working at the time. I throw a lot of different stuff in the course of a day on the water. Until I find the right tool or tools to get that job done. It also helps me become versatile and confident in what I'm doing. I will throw 15 to 20 casts with a bait and if I don't hook up, I make a change. If I catch a fish in that 15 or 20 casts, I throw the lure 15 to 20 more times. If I hook up I catch 3 to 5 fish on the bait and then make a change looking for what they want. Sometimes you smash em. Sometimes you don't. I do go back to the fish catcher every once in a while to see that it's still working. Keeping it as scientific as I can has made me better at it. I try to learn everytime I go out. I don't rely on "dock talk". It clouds good thinking processes when trying to find a pattern. An open mind is key with positive thinking. Versatility aids in this. I have way fewer fishless trips this way. I think there was only one time out this year I didn't catch a keeper fish and no times this year where I didn't catch any fish at all. Not bad.

BD.                          ;D

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

Got Fish??

My best bait would have to be, finesse fishing plastic warms. Weedless,wacky,Carolina or Texas. It's all good.

BIGSHOW

I got some good ideas. My goal this weekend is to go try some new stuff (weather permitting). Hey bigdogg, is it you that goes out of the metro park? I've talked to someone,maybe you before. Anyway I was gonna venture a little south down that way. Any ideas? I'm gonna go navigate the area. I go out of elizibeth park and will go down there. I will check out the area, its been a while since i've fished over there. I ususally just look to see where boats are hanging or obvious spots. Dropped some loot today at gander mountain and ready to catch fish

Skulley

Quote from: BIGSHOW on August 15, 2012, 12:40:30 AM
Dropped some loot today at gander mountain and ready to catch fish

Got caught by some bass lures at Gander.....happens to the best of us.  Anyway I may have talked to you. I talk to so many people where ever I go. Haven't been out of Erie Metro this year.........yet. I still have to buy a season pass.

BD.                         ;D

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com