Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 09:02:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

When it rains, it pours.

Started by Mike S., July 20, 2012, 04:59:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike S.

I had one of those nights that you just wish you could say never happened last night. We fished the ROI Thursday nighter. My partner and I are doing pretty well. It has been a lot of fun. But last night was special in its own way.

We launch at 5:45 on White Lake. It's raining, well it was a nasty drizzle. All is fine, except for my partner who has forgotten his rain gear. The wind is ripping pretty good as we find our way to our first spot. After about a half hour, we run to another spot, and my partner is immediately hooked up. I net the fish, and start filling the wells. One of the pumps sounds funny. Next thing you know, my bilge pumps are on.

Since it was raining, we didn't think much of it at first. Then every minute or two, the pump was on again, and the port side would not fill. We get a limit in about 25 minutes, and decide to go shallow and I hop out of the boat to make sure the plug was in. It was. Upon further inspection, we see that the pump has come out of its cup, and I have a hole in the bottom of the boat.

I now have a new Cortex 101 on the boat. Not used to the stabilizer bar on it. We go to take off, and I bring the trolling motor up, and the bar takes the butt of one or my Carrot Stix right off. Wonderful.

10 minutes after that, the cable for my front transducer snaps. It got pulled tight somehow, and just couldn't take it anymore. So now, I'm blind up front.

As the night comes to an end, I catch my first fish. It was all of 10 inches. We go to weigh in, and walk away with a 3rd place finish. Not bad. I was so happy to have the boat on the trailer. Glad that night is over.

YpsiBass

Mike S.

I think my wife is going to take my truck and boat away, and not let me play with my friends anymore. She also says I have to buy rods and reels at yard sales from now on. Just kidding!  I do think she's going to take my boat away though.  :'(

LipRip

HA! Thanks just an average day of fishing for McCarter! If you hear some of his stories you might not feel so bad......

Mike S.

That just tells me that under no circumstances should McCarter and I get in a boat together. Ever.

thedude

must have been the weather. i went pre-fishing alone and of course launched the boat with the plug out, blew up a spool of 1 week old floro on my cranking rod, lost a 15$ crankbait and had an uncanny ability to cast wacky rigged senkos right off the hook in short succession.
West Michigan Bass www.westmichiganbass.com
Palehorse Custom Rods

Genie

I feel ya ... actually fell asleep on the couch and slept great!  That crap never happens ... darn weather!
Grand Rapids, MI
Stop Wishin' and get Fishin' with MyFishingLogs.com
http://www.myfishinglogs.com

Insanity - Doing the same thing and expecting different results.  Stop the insanity!

Mike S.

The boat is done!  It's better than it was when I went to the lake last night. I was at work and just couldn't take knowing my boat wasn't right, so I took a half day and came home to work on it.

The aerator was a job. I had to pull 2 batteries and the oil tank out. Then I had to pull an aluminum sub floor out. Once I got to that point I saw that the locking clips on the side of the pump were broken. It was junk. Turns out they don't make that pump anymore.

Then, it was up front to change the transducer. Luckily I had the one from my old Humminbird still lying around. It works! 

If only I could fix the rod I broke now. That would make my day.

djkimmel

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Waterfoul

I know what you mean Mike.  My tach quit working last week.  Got a new one the next day but heck if I've had time to put it in.  Well it rained last night... perfect time to put the new tack in.  Done and working again.  I feel better.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

motocross269

Tough days make us appreciate the good ones......
Good job in the tournament and glad you were safe...

6 lb Smallmouth

Mike- great job in spite of what you had to deal with.  If I have a bad day fishing but everything worked well, I always think it could have beeen worse.

Dude- your story made me feel better.  I was fishing by myself last weekend and launched my boat and lost ahold of the rope.  First time I ever went swimming for my boat. 
Formerly known as JerkBate

Nothing beats Great Lakes Smallmouth!

Mojo

Mike - it needs to be noted that I was NOT on your boat that day or that week.  When I was young in the sport, everyone reported on GLB odd happenings such as what you had happen on the days following me being on the boat. It became 6 degrees of Mojo -  :D

Poor Revtro, I still apologize for fronting him when he joked about it cause it was out of control !

Thanks Dan for bringing year round Catch and Release to Michigan

Mike S.

If it weren't for my partner doing all the catching, we would have been in big trouble. He kept standing in the back of the boat laughing at me, and telling me he has had bad days, but nothing like mine.

I forgot that when we got to our first spot I tripped over the step to the front deck. Hard to run the trolling motor with your face. Then when we got to our second spot, I unstrapped my rods and the strap caught one and flung it into the water. I caught the end of it though, so it wasn't lost. After that, all the real fun took place.

If nothing else, it gets laughs from people. After its all said and done, I laugh too.

Skulley

Quote from: Mojo on July 21, 2012, 11:19:30 AM
Mike - it needs to be noted that I was NOT on your boat that day or that week.  When I was young in the sport, everyone reported on GLB odd happenings such as what you had happen on the days following me being on the boat. It became 6 degrees of Mojo -  :D

Poor Revtro, I still apologize for fronting him when he joked about it cause it was out of control !

And if you remember Mojo, you and I went out fishing during that time and everybody was telling me not to go fishing with you because something bad would happen.  Well if catching over 100 fish on Lake St. Clair's south shore in a day between the two of us is bad "Mojo", I'll take that any day, any week, any month, or any year.      8)    Also, to all the forum members out here, Mojo is one of the best back boaters you could ever have.  There is never a problem with sharing expenses.  He always brings this huge grocery bag full of snacks.  (Personally, I think he steals his kids Halloween candy or something, but you didn't hear that from me.   :o  )  And if you like a non-stop "chatterbox" not to be confused with "chatterbait" on the back of your boat, fish with Mojo.  He does have a lot to say.  ::)  You haven't lived life until you have fished with Mojo.  I will say this, it certainly ain't boring.

BD                                      ;D
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

Mike S.

For sure. I had Mojo in my boat on LSC in May. He was a riot. The bag of tackle he brought was the equivalent of another person in the boat. It was enormous. Total entertainment.

I was really bummed that I didn't get to fish with him while he was on White Lake last week. If I would have known he would be here, we would have fished several times. Next year, Mojo, call me when you make your reservations. We will fish.

Mojo

You guys Just made my day. Thanks UAW and Mike. I hope to get out with the both of you very soon.
Thanks Dan for bringing year round Catch and Release to Michigan

djkimmel

Quote from: Mike S on July 21, 2012, 01:16:09 PM
If it weren't for my partner doing all the catching, we would have been in big trouble. He kept standing in the back of the boat laughing at me, and telling me he has had bad days, but nothing like mine.

I forgot that when we got to our first spot I tripped over the step to the front deck. Hard to run the trolling motor with your face. Then when we got to our second spot, I unstrapped my rods and the strap caught one and flung it into the water. I caught the end of it though, so it wasn't lost. After that, all the real fun took place.

If nothing else, it gets laughs from people. After its all said and done, I laugh too.

And still... no video?!? ???

;D

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Mike S.

The way things sometimes go for me, I should mount a camera to the top of my outboard. It would save me a lot of time on here.  I could just post the video, and wouldn't have to type anything.

djkimmel

Consider 2 cameras - 1 on the top of your head. But, provide some padding or something for the camera so we can still recover video... ;D