Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:42:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

18' vs 20' bassboat on the Great Lakes

Started by 6 lb Smallmouth, July 17, 2012, 10:26:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

6 lb Smallmouth

Based on reading Larry's thread, I see how everyone recommends a 20er' for the Great Lakes.  Is this primarily for handling waves?  I don't fish tournaments so I never see myself making 15 mile runs in rough water.  I watch the weather and wind direction and drive to the launch that best suits me.  If it is too windy and rough, I go do something else.  I'm not in the position of having to fish a tournament and needing to run 10 miles in rough water to get to my fish.  In this scenario, how about the 18' glass boat with a 150?

Here's my situation- I am about a year or two from getting a boat.  I have a 6 cylinder in my vehicle (6500 lb towing capacity) and I don't want the weight of a 20' boat with a 225 on the back.  Sure, I could probably tow it but stopping it would be another issue.  An 18' w/a 150 and a single axle trailer is about the max that I want to tow.  So I've limited my options to the 18' glass bassboat (that Sabre sure looks pretty) or an 17-18' deep V tin boat such as a Crestliner Fish Hawk or the Lund Impact which I'd pair up with a 115.  Any thoughts?  
Formerly known as JerkBate

Nothing beats Great Lakes Smallmouth!

1javelin

20'+ is really nice in rough water, but it feels just as nice when the weekend traffic picks up on your local lakes also.  I also enjoy the added length for keeping that crankbait your fishing buddy is using away from your ears.  But, if I did it again, if not fishing tournaments on the big water regularly I would probably go for an 18' or 19'.  As for braking, most 20' come with brakes on the trailer as well, so don't let that be your deciding factor.  I pulled my 20' 200hp single axle with my S-10 for years and didn't have brakes on the trailer, and it worked well.  Coming down long hills I could smell my brakes keeping up, but that was Ouachita and Traverse City.  Not your normal driving conditions in Michigan.  Either way, hold out for a good deal and one that meets your needs.

1jav
Live to fish, Fish to live.

t-bone

I don't think there has to be that much wind or weather on St. Clair to justify the need for a 20ft boat. Saturday was perfectly calm at the launch and I still was pretty beat up - you come around a point and wonder where did all these waves come from. The tuna boats out there can cause a lot of 3-4 fters that make you appreciate a larger boat.

If your not fishing TX and needing to run long ways - a nice deep V is a good way to go on St. Clair.
Terry Bone
Bass Anglers of Michigan
The Bass Boys - TBF Club
2013 Ranger z520c w/ Evinrude ETEC 250

LAPORTE

I have had a 18.5 Skeeter with a 150 for 3 years now and every time I'm on St Clair or Erie I wish I had a bigger boat. Case in point yesterday I Fished St Clair for about 14 hours. In the morning all the way up until about 1pm I was thinking my boat would have did just fine. Later in the evening as we were coming in @ 8:30pm I was very glad to be in a 20 foot boat. The wind just picked up a little, along with a little boat traffic and it went from a light chop to about 2-3 foot waves and getting worse off.

It seems I never get to far away from shelter with the 18.5 length if I had a 20 plus foot... look out

Buy what is best for your fishing needs .... and you wont go wrong...

Laporte
2008 Skeeter 20I " Thanks Robin"

Mike S.

Buy the biggest you can afford, and store. Seriously. Don't worry about towing with a 6 cylinder vehicle. I have a 20 footer with a 225. When my truck was down 2 weeks ago, I had my dad come get me to take him fishing. He has a 2 wheel drive F150 with a V6. He was leary of towing my boat, didn't bat an eye at dragging my old Nitro to LSC, but soon saw that his truck would handle it just fine.

Also during that time, I borrowed my friend's TrailBlazer. I thought he had the 4.3 in it. Towed the boat just fine, was just a little wierdo seeing so much of my boat while towing. Come to find out, he had the straight 6 in it. Wasn't a hot rod off the line but it did the job.

If you have your heart set on something, buy it. If you don't, chances are you will regret your purchase later on down the road. I'm not a huge tournament fisherman, but I sure do like my 20 footer compared to the 18 I had before it. I have had an aluminum Bass Tracker also. Personally, I will never buy anything other than a glass boat ever again. When the wind picks up, you're still in an aluminum boat, regardless of length.

troossien1

20' is my thought grandpa has an18' bass cat sabre, We love it but will be going to lsc as riders because of fear of spearing waves and other issues that come with a boat that size. Out boat is awesome but you will feel safer in a 20' when everything is said and done. Storage, deck space ride and peaceof mind on big water
Kistler rods

LennyB

Bigger is definitely better. I have a Ranger 18.5' with a 150 Mercury and use it on St. Clair all the time, often with 3 people in it and have no problem, but again, if you have a choice get the bigger one.

motocross269

Compromise...Get a Bass Cat Pantera IV.....19 footer that can run up to a 200 HP engine and handles the big water fine...
Revtro runs out on LSC a ton in a Pantera III. (19 footer)..I have ridden in his boat and it rides very nice..
Jon Bondy last I knew has been guiding out of a 19 footer.....So if he can get away with it...

I am in a 20 footer but I wouldn't hesitate to run 90 percent of the time in something smaller..
I know technology gets better but 20 years ago the standard rig was an 18-19 footer with a 150hp..We fished both LSC and Saginaw bay every year...

Buy what you like but don't think for a minute you can't fish LSC with a smaller rig...It doesn't matter if you have a 20 footer or an 18 footer, on big water, common sense, safety and driver ability has more to do with it than boat size...

I was on LSC yesterday and it was mildly rough...(2 footers) and there were guys all over in 16 foot Aluminum rigs,....

thedude

good advice. get as big as you can afford. the additional size will give you more room, more carrying/weight capacity, better stability and a better ride.

i wouldn't worry about the 6cyl. Its not that much more weight and a 175 doesn't weigh that much less than a 225hp outboard. Get a trailer with brakes on it and you should be fine.
West Michigan Bass www.westmichiganbass.com
Palehorse Custom Rods

bob o

http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/boa/3099297388.html

here ya go a perfect BIG water boat, if i had a garage it would fit in i would own it right now

6 lb Smallmouth

Thanks for all the input.  Got a little while to make up my mind.  If I spent as much time as you guys on big water this would be an easier decision. 

troossien1

Im sure you will after you get your boat!
Kistler rods

Frank

when i get back in town ill be selling an amazing 19' skeeter.  96, with a 150 merc.  probably selling for 6k.  pm me and we'll talk about the details.  Ill be back on the 30th, though i may have internet access in Aruba.

Frank

djkimmel

Bigger is better is good advice. If you can swing it and justify it. If you can't, you can do plenty of fishing with an 18' bass boat. I practiced the big water for years from a 14' with a 20HP by picking and choosing. Sometimes I chose poorly and really wished I had a big boat for a few hours but I did get out fishing and the poor choice was my own fault. I'm a little better at settling for the next best fishing plan now when it is getting, or could get, stupid rough.

If you are going to fish more inland, fish many smaller lakes, an 18' boat is a very nice compromise. Especially if you aren't going to compete in bigwater tournaments. If you are going to fish the Great Lakes and bigger, open lakes a lot more, then you may end up happier with a bigger boat with a 200HP plus in the long run if you can swing it even if you don't fish tournaments. Especially if you might be taking anglers and kids out at times who are not used to 'big' water. It doesn't take a whole lot of wave to scare people who aren't use to it. A bass boat, in particular, makes you feel a lot more 'in' the water than on the water when things get big.

If 18' is what you can afford, tow and park, then get it. Put the maximum HP on it. The HP advice is the definite advice I will always give after seeing so many anglers disappointed over the years by underpowered boats. A well-powered boat will always feel, and probably be, safer than an underpowered boat. Sounds like you are thinking about putting the max HP on your boat already. Good.

If you go with the 18/150-175, you may feel once in a while that you wished you got a bigger boat, but much of the time, in your situation, you should be very happy as long as you aren't the type of person who pushes things very often when an alternative choice for the weather and boat traffic conditions might be better on a given day. I would give advice more like most of the boaters above if you planned on fishing the Great Lakes mostly and sounded more aggressive, and/or included a fair amount of tournaments, but you sound like you are more into fishing enjoyment than boating challenge.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

6 lb Smallmouth

djkimmel,

Good stuff.  You pretty much summed up everything I was thinking.  Probably a 188VS with a 175 Yamaha would be the perfect setup for me.  An 18' that will handle rougher water better than others in its class.  If I only had the garage to put it in...... 

Thanks for the advice. 

Skulley

I got a 19ft. Champion.  1993 with a 150 Johnson.  I go on St. Clair and Erie with it.  It's pretty dry up until the waves start pushing 3ft.  As I get older, I make better decisions earlier so that I don't go beyond what the boat is capable of.  Most of my fishing on St. Clair and Erie is within 20 miles or so of the launch I put in at.  I've learned to launch near where I am planning to fish.  My gas tank on that boat is small.  I think it only has a 30 or 35 gallon capacity........maybe 40 but I doubt it.  In a tournament, depending on where I am launching, I may or may not be limited.  May not be limited because I've concentrated on learning water close to launches.  On St. Clair, I fish according to the seasonal movements of the fish.  If I was going out tomorrow morning, I would drive to Algonac.  Launch.  From there I can fish just about the whole St. Clair River.  I can go north to Fawn or stay in the channels.  Pretty centrally located launch.  If I launch a little north in Marine City, I am going to fish Fawn, Middle Grounds, and Stag.  From Harley I can fish all the canals in that area, Metro Beach, all of Anchor Bay, and up into the channels as well as the Firecracker, St. Clair Light, Walpole, to Mitchell Bay.   You get the idea.  A 20 footer or larger can take you anywhere from any launch there with safety, stability, and a smooth dry ride.  Yes, there are days I wish I had my 20 foot Javelin again.  Should have never sold that boat.  But the Champ is economical and I can still get out on the water which to me is the bottom line.  Get a boat with a large gas tank.  My next boat is going to have a big gas tank.  That Javelin had a big tank.  80 gallons I think.......maybe 85.  Don't remember off the top of my head.

Like the rest of the fellas are saying, what is your need??  Are you going to fish tourneys??  Or just for fun and relaxation and the love of catching big fat bass??  Good luck in your quest. 

BD                               ;D
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

bigjc

I run a 19' 5" Legend, which as great rough water rig, and 50% of the time I wish I had bought the 21 footer.  Not only for big water, but fishable space and storage space.  Not to mention that I often fish more more than just one other person, and the more room the better!

Also, as the dude mentioned, there really isn't much difference in towing weight between the 18' rig and the 20.

My advice is buy all the boat and motor that you can afford.

Lightningboy

You need to buy as much boat as you can.  And power it with the max HP.

This is based on the principle that you always need more boat than you think.  I don't know how many times I've known a fisherman who bought a boat, and then wanted more.

The best thing you can do is some research.  Check out boat/trailer/motor weights, and see what size boats fit your needs.  My 21 foot triton with a 3.0 L on the back is about 4500 lb.  That's a heavy rig.  A 19 footer with a 2.5 L is about 100 lb. lighter on the back end than anything with a 3.0 L.

Next is the trailer.  With brakes, you'll really cut your stopping distance.  Most 18 footers don't come with brakes; some 19-20 footers do.

You also need to look at other viewpoints than size vs. waves.  A longer boat is a better ride, but also it provides more storage and angler room.  Most 18 footers don't have much of a rod locker, or dry storage.  Storage increases as you move to 19 or 20 feet.  You always need more storage than you think, since as you move to a bigger boat, you'll carry more stuff.

As you move up in rigs, you'll always increase your radius from the ramp.  Getting on the big water means covering some distance.  You don't need to fish tournaments to run over 10 miles.  As you move up in capability, you increase your run radius.  The fish are always biting better somewhere else.   ;D

Buy the most bass boat you can, or buy bigger in tin.  Tin boats weight less than glass, so you can tow bigger.

No matter what size rig you buy, try real hard to get one with a hydraulic jackplate.  It turns most rigs into a much better big water boat.  Even if I ran a 18, I'd have one.

Yeah, you can pick and choose your days/area on big water.  But are you ready when the weather suddenly turns?  Sh*t happens.

6 lb Smallmouth

You guys are right about the boat weight.  18'8" Ranger is only 350 pounds less than a 21'3" Ranger.  Motor weight is no more than a 20 pound difference.  On the other hand an 18' deep V is 300 pounds less than the the 18' glass boat.  I thought the difference between the glass and tin would be greater. 

Still don't know if I want such a big boat.  I run a 17' semi-deep tin boat right now.  It's so easy to push that thing in a parking lot or push it on the trailer if it is sitting a little cocked. And you talk about storage- I have no rod locker and I can only bring about 5 rigs in the boat without making a mess.  I don't even look at rods and reels anymore since I already have premium rigs that I leave at home.  I am instantly jealous of guys with dual rod lockers and two big compartment in the front of their boat.   

You guys have given me things to consider.  Thanks. 

6 lb Smallmouth

So it took me a couple extra years but I finally got my new boat.  Funny how buying a house and having a baby get in the way of a boat!  Anyways, I ordered a Tuffy X190.  Anyone familiar with them?  19.4' with a deep V hull.  Going to have to break it in properly next summer in northern Michigan.