Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 01:21:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Wacky Hook & Weight System

Started by deepdiver, July 16, 2012, 09:46:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deepdiver

Does anyone know if they sell the mold for making the lead weights for the Hook & Weight System? They sell them on a few websites but was trying to get the mold to just make my own weights for wacky rig.

Thanks

troossien1

How do you do with that? I just like the o rings and the wacky tool for a slower fall
Kistler rods

deepdiver

Saw a presentation at the fishing expo with a weightless worm...the presentation was awesome

troossien1

Kistler rods

djkimmel

Sorry to butt in but it has been a while since I reminded everyone I do have a No Links Policy/List for GreatLakesBass.com and unfortunately the company previously mentioned in this post is on that list. Please do not take the editing of your posts personal. Purely a business requirement for me to keep this website running.

The good news is there is ONLY one company on the list at this moment so that leaves plenty of websites (pretty much all of them) you can openly share with each other on GreatLakesBass.com. I hope to keep it that way with all of your help.

There are plenty of great websites that sell most of the products we like to use such as the companies who are Sponsor Advertisers and
online companies such as Bass Tackle Depot (with their Guaranteed Absolute Lowest Price policy), Bass Pro Shops, Cabela's,
LandBigFish.com, Anglersmart.com and many others (ebay, West Marine, Amazon.com).

Thanks for your understanding and sorry about the edits.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

deepdiver

Sorry about that Dan...

bassinkid16 you can check out bass pro too they sell them but I am trying to get the mold and make my own...much cheaper

troossien1

Sounds good, if I run into anything I'll let you know!
Kistler rods

djkimmel

For a mold, try Lurecraft.com. They have a big selection of molds.

This might be one of those very hard to find or custom jobs to get a mold. I haven't seen the product but it sounds uncommon.

Another option is to have a mold made only for your use by a custom mold-maker like www.anglingai.com. Higher start-up cost but you have something unique that you can use as long as you like. Not sure if Josh makes lead pouring molds? I know he specializes in custom molds for soft plastics but he has some good equipment.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

djkimmel

Quote from: deepdiver on July 17, 2012, 08:43:33 PM
Sorry about that Dan...

bassinkid16 you can check out bass pro too they sell them but I am trying to get the mold and make my own...much cheaper

No huge deal. I didn't have to post prominent and posted it quite a while ago. Who reads all those rules anyway! This is just one particular rule that I'm strict with. Thanks for not taking it personal. It has nothing to do with members.

deepdiver

Dan, I did cry a little at first but then got over it (J/K)

Just an update...I sent email to Lurecraft and they do not sell that type of mold

Sent an email to anglingai and just waiting to hear back

thanks for the info

djkimmel

Sorry I made you cry!  :'(

I didn't see the mold on a quick look at the Lurecraft site but they have a ton of stuff in their warehouse so I thought it was worth a try.

Good luck with your search.

BIGSHOW

Lurecraft does have a ton of molds. I think they are part of poor boy baits now. I ordered some stuff from poor boy and they sent me catalogs for both. I would like some other options for weighting the wacky rig. I have put brad nails in each end of the worm or just run a texas rig and hook the worm in the middle (works awesome).

deepdiver

Quote from: BIGSHOW on September 28, 2012, 09:43:55 PM
Lurecraft does have a ton of molds. I think they are part of poor boy baits now. I ordered some stuff from poor boy and they sent me catalogs for both. I would like some other options for weighting the wacky rig. I have put brad nails in each end of the worm or just run a texas rig and hook the worm in the middle (works awesome).

thanks for the tip Bigshow

djkimmel

I use lead 'nails' a lot to weight various specialty rigs. I got my last batch from Lunker City brand through Basspro.com or similar. There are many options for insert weights but I do like simpler and less expensive when I can get it and it works good.

Poor Boy's Baits is probably more accurately a part of Lurecraft - lure making doesn't seem to be getting less popular! Doesn't really matter since they are both owned by the same husband and wife team, and housed in the same warehouse.

detroit1

Ever try making weighted wacky hooks? I use Kahle and ewg hooks, mash lead shot on near the eye of the hook, powder coat and then 2 ton epoxy. Works great for cheapo senkos and french fries alike.
WAVE THERAPY

thedude

i use the nail weights like dan mentioned. i get mine from kustom kicker (called baby weights). they are very similar to the lunker city variety. KK also carries weighted finesse/wacky hook that is top notch, i however prefer the nail weight and a 2/0 gamikatsu finesse wide gap hook.
West Michigan Bass www.westmichiganbass.com
Palehorse Custom Rods

dartag

I use Falcon weighted hooks for wacky rigging.  They use a Gamakatsu hook. 

fiker

I like the tungsten weighted hooks for a weighted wacky rig.  

I've used the ones from Jackall for several years.  They seem to do quite nicely.  I also slip a piece of 3/8" electrical shrink wrap tubing over the worm first.  Then, I hook through the shrink wrap.  This give me a good hook up percentage, and the worms last quite a bit longer, even the hand pours.
So much water.  So many lures.  So little time.

Member of  Downriver Bass Association

www.buildwithmomentum.com 734.649.9390

Got Fish??

I do not use a weighted hook when I wacky. I let it  fall, how ever long it takes. If I am drifting and dragging, I will Carolina rig it

BIGSHOW

I will to sometimes. But there are times in a heavy current break that the bait will just ride the current near the top. I fish the river alot so I at least use some weight. I will also use a slip (cone style) sinker which seems go down ahead of the bait. Alot of times they get it on the way down. As for tungsten. What does it do for you on a weighted hook?  I could see a slip sinker(tungsten) for making noise. Just not that familiar with its applications....thanks