Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 01:39:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Bass Boat Manufacturers

Started by Larry313, June 14, 2012, 09:06:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry313

I am in the market to purchase a new boat and I was wondering what everyone's opinions are as far as who the top manufacturers are from Ranger, Triton, Stratos, etc.?  Also I'm looking for which boats hold their re-sale value the best.  Thanks.

Genie

Well, it never used to be this way but there are some fantastic rewards programs that should be considered if you ever plan to tournament fish.  If not, most of it comes down to creature comforts as performance wise all the major brands runs similar speeds, handle similarly in normal conditions, etc.

I have a Skeeter and love it.  It is extremely solid and stable.  It has everything laid out extremely well and it just works.  The Skeeter tends to sit really low in the water which is nice for dealing with a lot of fish like I tend to do. :)  As far as big water is concerned, I don't have a problem at all and don't tend to get all that wet - but that really comes down to knowing how to drive and not so much the boat.  I have had problems in the Skeeter keeping the nose down in really big waves though so sometimes it slaps the next wave and not cut it because the nose gets too high - again probably something I am doing wrong.

I've been in the new Nitro's and they really have come a long way.  Nitro was my first fiberglass it was cheaply made and that is the stigma it still has - unfairly.  They are really nice rides now and they have paid a ton of attention to comforts now.  They really have some nice additions and layouts that make sense when you look at them.  Nitros tend to sit higher from the water so reaching the water and feeling a little tippy are some complaints.

I've been in older Triton's and just never felt comfortable - I'm a big guy. 

Ranger's used to carry the stigma of the cadillac of bass boats - but boats now have all the same comforts so the extra money just doesn't make sense to me.  They are comfortable with a touch of class.

I've been in a Stratos as well and had similar feelings to the Tritons - just never felt comfortable.

I've never been in a Champion, but they are very well respected and a very solid boat.

For the Legends and other types have no clue.

I will probably get blasted for these comments from other boat owners but this is my experience.  Many people on here are very nice and if asked would gladly take you for a ride if conditions worked out - I will offer a ride in my Skeeter if you are so inclined.

Good luck and don't be afraid to ask for a test ride.

-Genie
Grand Rapids, MI
Stop Wishin' and get Fishin' with MyFishingLogs.com
http://www.myfishinglogs.com

Insanity - Doing the same thing and expecting different results.  Stop the insanity!

Lightningboy

Forgive my asking, but if you're worried about resale value, why buy new?  First year depreciation on new boats is horrid, a multi-thousand $$ hit.

I bought new once. (tracker DV17) When I look back on it, I could have picked up a 5 year old 17 foot bass boat with a 150 for the same $$.

In fact, I don't by new cars or trucks any more either.  There's tons of 2-3 year old rides comming in from leases.  Dealers don't want the hassle of used sales, so most go to auction.

As to which brand to buy?  Depends on what you want to do with it.  Small lakes? Big water? Combo?  Looking for ride & comfort, or lean more toward speed?  Give some particulars about what you're looking for in a bass rig, and we'll be happy to give way too much opinionated advice.   ;D

Revtro

Yeah, I tend to agree about buying a used boat, especially in this economy.  But as far as quality goes, we gotta mention BassCat.  I have an '03 and I gotta tell you, it seems as solid as the day I bought it.  I find it to be a great big water boat that can really take a pounding.  Many would say that BassCat has kind of taken over as the 'Caddy' of bass boats.  No wood on this boat, things don't rattle loose, they have a decent reward program, and customer service is TOP NOTCH.  I have had nothing but great experiences with BassCat as a company.  I had a prop issue years back and actually ended up speaking with the owner of the company and he resolved my issue personally. 

Here's the deal though...most bass boat owners are gonna say the brand they own is the best because generally we really like our boats.  They're the other "women in our lives".  LOL  So I recommend taking a look at some non-affiliated consumer reporting out there.  Take a look at resale values and avoid too many personal opinions like mine.   ;D   But in the end, make sure you buy a BassCat.  :P
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

djkimmel

Where you fish the most or plan to fish does have some impact on your choice. Most of the major brands are made well, are dependable and safe. I like the combination of fishability, speed and handling of the Ranger Bass boats the best. They consistently retain high resale value. They last a long time - mine is almost 20 years old with a lot of them time spent out in the big water of the Great Lakes - hard on any bass boat.

Since I fish more than I run around, especially now that I don't tournament fish, the fish-ability and stability of the Ranger has always been my favorite part.

If you can buy a new boat and keep it for a while, that is great for you. If you buy used, just check the boat out really well unless you know the person who owned it and how they treated it. You don't want any surprises. I'm not super mechanical so I might have it looked at by someone who is if it was me.

A note - Ranger, Stratos, Stratos Elite (previously Champion) and Triton are all built in the same factory in Flippin Arkansas for about 2 years now. I have been there a number of times and I'm always impressed by the people that work there, the materials, the processes and the continuous drive for improvements. Another plus for me.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Larry313

I really appreciate the info.  I am definitely going to buy used.  What I meant by re- sale was would one brand like Ranger hold it's value say 8 years from now over a Nitro if I decided to upgrade again.  I really only plan on tournament fishing inland lakes with the occasional St. Clair tournament.  I'm looking to spend 20-25K.  Hopefully I will find something 19.5 to 20.5 with a 200hp motor.  Is craigslist my best bet or does anyone know any other places I can go to narrow down the search of boats?  One last thing.  Just my opinion but I'm guessing I may find a better deal in the fall or winter than mid summer?  Thanks again guys for your help.

Mojo

OK - here's a slant from a different perspective - a BFL non-boater. I've had the pleasure (and dis pleasure ) to ride in many if not all makes of boat.

I can tell you the following from a LSC perspective:

(2) Basscats - older and brand new - 19 ft and above = A dream to run up and down LSC and Erie. Maybe the safest feeling with wave absorbsion. May not be the fastest, but it seems more solid whichs translates to less attachments shaking loose or breaking due to the violent crashing that occurs as you run from spot to spot over 3 footers.

(Dozens) Rangers - Anything over 19 foot is basically same as above. Just REAL good bass boats - decks and lids and seats are always solid. pushes water away.

(3) Champions (now Elite Stratos)- darn good boats at 20 - 21 footers only. I think Legend bought them ???? Anyway - there is one Champion bow that has a squared bottom and it gets you wet bad... the LT ???? Anyway, other than avoiding that one bow frame they seem fine. I liked em and they were solid.
(3) Skeeters - Anything 20 or 21 foot drives as solid and is as comfortable as those above. I was in some 18, 19 ftrs that took a pounding and felt lighter - felt the waves pound through the hull. Probably a great inland lakes boat.

(4) Stratos / Tritons 18 and 19 ft- Faster boats BUT - Every time I was jarred and felt like reaching for Motrin by the end of the day. Seems light and all waves transfer to the body, which means to all your electronics and gear. This one Stratos snapped my neck and jarred it and that has been with me for 2 years. Maybe its a great inland lakes boat.....

Overall - you can survive LSC and Erie in an 18-19 footer, but its recommended for overall to get 20 ft if you can.
Thanks Dan for bringing year round Catch and Release to Michigan

Manxfishing

Quote from: Mojo on June 14, 2012, 05:12:56 PM
(3) Champions - darn good boats. I think Legend bought them ???? Anyway - there is one bow that has a squared botom and it gets you wet bad... the LT ???? Anyway, other than avoiding that one bow frame they seem fine. I liked em.

Mike,

There's some history between Champion and Legand boats
John Storie Founded Champion back in the 80's

And the Legend/Hawk/Cobra/Viper noats, they all run together.

John Storie was wanting to start another boat company, but he was locked down in a very strict non compete contract with Champion. He could build a boat, but couldn't build a deep V Wedge hull boat.

So, what he did was splash a Ranger 482, added a turning chine, and increased the lifting strakes, and he had him a boat mold. That was the beginning of the Cobra/Viper boats, and they did the Fisher glass boats there also, same hull.

Storie got runnoft from Cobra, they went flaming down, and he and Bruce Benton started the Hawk boat, same basic mold, same basic boat. '01 came and they didn't have the legs to stay in the race, so that died. The molds were bought and brought to Texas where they started building the legends, then bought again and moved to Midway Ark.

John Storie hasn't had a hand in designing a champ since the 80's. Anything coming out of champion today is designed by Alan Stinson.
The Legend/hawk/viper/cobras are all a splash off a ranger 482. Modified, but still in the same gene pool.
So It's more honest and accurate to state the legend/clones are modified rangers than some breed of champion

And after Platinum equity bought most of Genmar
The Champion brand became the Elite model of the Stratos brand
The thought was, It was a good boat but the company was to small to stand on it's own

bigjc

I have ridden in just about all of the modern bass boat manufacturers and several walleye boats.  I have owned several also. 

I would echo Ken's statement that slightly used is usually a much smarter buy than new.  Buying new at retail price is just crazy!

As far as brands go...In my opinion  Bass Cats and Legends are the best riding boats right now in rough water, and both offer everything else one could want in a high-end tournament rig.  However Ranger still builds a pretty darn good rig, that holds its value as well as anything else.

I am currently the proud owner of a LEGEND LE-195, and I will most likely buy another one.

Lightningboy

Alright, time for my 2 cents. 

First, I drive a 2000 TR-21 with a slightly massaged 225.  Unlike most, I have no brand loyalty to Triton.  Nothing against them, I chose that rig because the early tritons had fast hulls.  It also had just been freshly redone by the previous owner who I personally know.

Stratos & Tritons are very similar, you can tell Earl Bentz worked for Stratos before he started Triton.  Both are quick (if you can really drive one) and fish well.  Not the best big water hulls, they tend to slap in big waves.  Mine is equiped with a hydraulic JP and trim tabs, making it a passable big water ride.

Rangers, champs, and legends give up a little edge on speed, but offer an edge in big water ride.  They are more bow heavy, keeping them from bouncing in waves.  Please note they are not heavier than other rigs, but balance more evenly fore to aft.  All are very well made boats. 

Basscats are a little different breed.  They are still a family owned company, and are willing to be a little bit different from the others, hence the funky steel rail and the lightning bolt pattern.  They build a very solid hull, as was described above.  Good all around ride.  BTW, they're no slouch on speed for a good driver.

Nitros are still debatable to me.  I know they have made great improvements since the early years, or KVD wouldn't drive one.  On the other hand, there are always lots of horror stories out there.  I did own a Tracker for several years, can't say I was impressed by the construction.  Of all the brands, Nitro will probably have the worst resale value just based on reputation.

One thing a lot of guys don't mention, is how it sits in the water.  Evenly, like a Ranger, or bow high like my Triton?  Bow high tends to be faster, even tends to be a better big water boat.

I'd also look hard for one equiped with a hydraulic jackplate.  It allows you to drop the motor low to keep a grip in big waves, or run it up for more speed.  I'll never be without one again.

Don't buy any boat that doesn't have the max HP hanging on the back.  That really hurts resale value.  You can always back off the throttle.

You want to look for a rig that's clean.  It's a good sign of how well it was cared for.  Check for stress cracks in the gelcoat.  Spider like gel cracks are normal for most boats over time, especially at the back corners.  Run a fingernail over the cracks; if your nail catches, walk away, there may be structural dammage. 

Have the owner take you for a ride.  Check that everything works right.  Look in every corner of each compartment.  Bring a flashlight to look in the corners of the bilge.  Take a good look at the trailer too.  Be ready to kick a lot of tires till you find the right boat.

BTW- If I had to choose one right now?  Bullet with a 300 please... 8)

motocross269

Bass Cat......Lifetime warranty on hull that is transferable and Quest money which is also transferable from a used boat...

Bass Cat Service....I bought a new Puma this year and had a couple of minor problems with the trailer and 1 small problem with the boat..(A Decal blew off, they had a vendor problem in 2010)...I made a phone call to Bass Cat Service and they had the parts out with no questions asked....I also spent a few minutes on the phone talking props and set ups with a performance service guy...What other Manufacturer can you just call and BS with....

I had lunch with Rick Pierce over the winter...He is a stand up guy that genuinely cares about his customers and the product that represents his Family....

My boat ran 75 GPS last saturday on Grand lake with 2 in the boat, full tanks of gas and overloaded with tackle..I still had some throttle left..It will do 80+ no problem once I get it set up to run...So the speed is there...

Fishability...Livewells are perfect, Deck is great, the Forward position takes some getting used to on big water but really shines when bed fishing or flipping and pitching...There is so much storage in this boat I have already found myself carrying way more tackle than I need...

Bottom line for you though....I have fished as a Co angler out of quite a few different brands...They all make great boats and all you have to do is decide what you need and what rig would make you happy long term....It's great having so many good choices...

Mike S.

There are so many choices. I have owned a few boats myself. My first real bass boat was an 18 foot Nitro with a Merc 150 EFI. It wasn't as nice as other boats on the market, but it was very fishable, and very reliable. It even stood up to a hit from a Blazer at 55 mph going down the road. I myself was very hard on that boat, and my buddy Bassin Brett owned it for 11 years previous to me buying it. That boat has been to hell and back. I know the guy who is beating up on it now, and he loves it. The new ones have sure come a long way.

I went to a Skeeter. Love it. It's fast, has tons of storage, and handles really well. It sits way low in the water, and carries the bow way high when she's flying. It's equipped with a 12" hydraulic jack plate. That is a very nice thing to have.

When Brett sold me the Nitro, he picked up an 03 Champion 206. It is a remarkable boat. It's WIDE, and rides awesome. I really like fishing from that one every other week. It takes the rough stuff better than my Skeeter. It has what seems like miles of deck to fish from. Very solid boat.

I got the opportunity to ride in a new Legend last weekend. If it fit my budget right now, it would be in my garage as we speak. Phenomenal!  That was the best riding boat I have ever been in, hands down. Absolutely loved everything about it. Hope I can get a used one in the next couple of years.

I've been in a few Stratos boats. Not one bad thing to say about them.

I have fished from several Triton's. As a passenger, I prefer to be on a single console. There just wasn't the leg room I liked to get comfortable. That was a big reason why I didn't buy one.

Never been on a Cat yet. Want to. I have never heard a bad word about a Cat, or their customer service. I hear they ride awesome, and are surprisingly fast. I'm waiting for someone to give me a ride.

Never been in a Ranger. Hear mixed things about the ride. Don't know personally.

It all boils down to what you areooking for, and what your budget will allow. If you want resale, make sure the paper is maxed out on whatever you buy. Throttle junkies like myself want the most power. Get one that is rigged right. When I bought the Skeeter, it had a hydraulic jackplate, blinket trim, hot foot, hydraulic steering with tilt, a 36 volt 101# trolling motor, lighted compatments, etc.....  The list goes on and on.

Obviously, these statements are my opinion, and are not meant to bash anyone's boat in any way. I'm just sharing what I have experienced myself. Good luck, and be patient.

Lightningboy

Awesome advice; be patient.  Buying a new boat is like buying a car.  You get mesmerized by the looks compared to what you are used to, and overlook basic problems.  I remember my wife and I psyching our selves up to visit dealerships when we were buying a new truck... :D

Dan, I hope you don't mind, but two web pages I really found the most used boats at were BBC, and Probassnetwork.  Don't be afraid to take a drive to check a boat out.  I hit the road for a couple before I bought mine.  Make a weekend trip out of it for the family... ;D

motocross269- I'm with you on that.  If I had to buy what the fast boat guys call a "cookie cutter" boat, it'd be a Kitty.  They're just oddly cool enough for me.

motocross269

Just like Lightning boy said..Be patient....It is really easy to buy more boat than you need or or can afford....The long term financing can be tempting but eventually it could bite you in the butt...

Make sure you are comparing apples to apples when you are shopping also...Electronics can really add up and can add thousands to the cost of a rig pretty quickly...If you are comparing two used boats make sure you consider what electronics or upgrades one has over the other...Upgrading to 36V or Bigger/better graphs can really cost you down the road..

Service...I would call Brand X's service dept before you consider one of their rigs....Just call them up and ask what their policies are on used rigs and what kind of support you can expect from them..I wouldn't count on a dealer..Especially during tournament season. It is way quicker if you can do basic service on the boat..(excluding engine work) yourself with support from the manufacturer then have it tied up at a dealer during their busy season...

Larry313

I want to thank all of you for the information it is all very helpful.  One last question as all or most of you have these boats.  I am dead set on keeping the boat in the garage.  I have about 24.5ft available.  With the motor down and a breakaway tongue I'm guessing the max size boat I can get would be 19.5 to 20ft?  Anyone have any experience with this?

Genie

Once you narrow down a boat model, you can always go to the website and get the specs for that boat.  My Skeeter has the fold away tongue and it is a must for my garage.  Motors with jackplates really stick that engine out there!
Grand Rapids, MI
Stop Wishin' and get Fishin' with MyFishingLogs.com
http://www.myfishinglogs.com

Insanity - Doing the same thing and expecting different results.  Stop the insanity!

Manxfishing

like Genie posted the spec's for each boat are on there websites

The 521 ranger is 24'-2" with the swing out tounge open and motor down
And the Stratos 210 Elite is 22-8" both 21 footers but they varie boat to boat

Mike S.

Yes, the jackplate really does make it hard to put the boat in the garage. I have a 12", and it really makes a big difference. Can't get the Skeeter in the garage unless its at an angle. With my Nitro, I used to be able to put my truck and the wife' s van in there with the boat.

Lightningboy

Now depending on your layout, the garage problem can be solved.  If the back wall of the garage is not part of the house, you could put a "dog house" on the back to fit the motor.  You cut a hole the size of the motor, and build a little "extension" in the wall to fit the motor.  Side it to match the garage, and build a little shingled roof on the top tall enough to accommodate the motor.

Idea number two is a set of "go jacks".  It's a set of crank lifts that you put under the trailer tires.  End result is the boat is on a set of caster, you can push and angle it any way you need to make it fit.

Modern "cost saving" construction dictates a 24 foot garage because of 8 foot sheets of plywood.

But where there's a will there's a way... ;D

My TR-21 with 8 inch jackplate is 23 feet with the tongue pushed in.  I built a 26 by 26 garage to fit her.  By up north standards it's a little garage.  By Detroit standards I'm that guy "with the big garage" in my neighborhood... ???

Mike S.

My garage is goofy. It is 22' deep, and 36' wide. There used to be an apartment, so to speak, built on the end. I knocked the wall out of one of the rooms several years back, so I could park my Nova back there in the winter. When the car was replaced by the Nitro, at 18 feet, the boat fit in there perfect. The Skeeter is too long and too wide for that. I've been telling the wife that I need to put a 30' x 30' up in the back yard. She's not buying it though. But, there is no way my baby will ever sit outside. The truck, yes. The boat, no. I even have the windows covered so sun doesn't beat down on the boat while it's in the garage.