Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 07:01:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Looking for a good Chocolate Lab breeder.

Started by Mike S., May 29, 2012, 05:18:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike S.

Last Thursday I had to put my 3 year old lab to sleep. That put a big hole in our home. She was our baby.

I am looking for a breeder to buy another dog from. I want a quality dog, with papers, health guarantee, etc....  I have done the obvious internet searches, and have only come up with a couple of breeders. Niether of which will have Chocolate pups until summer 2013.

Our last lab was free. I told my wife that there was a reason why that litter of pipe was given away, and that she was going to be expensive. She brought her home anyways. Needless to say, we fell in love instantly with her. But, she was born with a liver disease that is common to labs, and it took her from us in less than 3 years. We aren't looking to replace her, just looking to fill the empty spot in our home. My wife and I both agree that we will only have Chocolate Labs from here on out.

So, if anyone knows a breeder, please pass the info along to me.

YpsiBass

Unfortunately I don't know any, but based on the experience I had obtaining my golden retriever, I'd suggest going to a dog show and find someone who is actively showing their dog.  Alternately, the AKC usually places links to breed clubs where you can find a reputable breeder.  A quick search on the AKC website yielded this: http://www.thelabradorclub.com/subpages/find_breeder.php

The AKC website is where I started looking for a well bred dog and after a few phone calls, found a breeder who would meet with me and discuss all my concerns.  Good luck searching for your new family member :)

Mike S.

Thanks. I have never had to search for a breeder before. I just want to make sure I get a good dog so that my family hopefully doesn't have to deal with another premature loss. I will definitely get on there and check it out.

djkimmel

The last chocolate I had was supposed to be a good one. We did have him for 6 years. Dumbest dog I've ever owned. But sweet. He's lucky he lasted that long. He had a bad habit of dashing for the exit when someone (I won't mention her name) wasn't ready and running out into traffic. Beautiful dog. Dumb as a rock.

After he got sick, we didn't want to have any more dogs for now.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Mike S.

Ours was very smart. We got her two months before my wife had our last child, and she was always careful around the baby. She never chewed anything but her own toys. No complaints with that dog. Wish she was still here.

djkimmel

That is the kind of chocolate lab I wanted. I love labs. 'My' first dog (when I started real hunting at the age of 12) was a black lab that I absolutely adored! Sam (a girl) was a great hunter and retriever! Though sometimes she got more excited than me and would flush out the whole field before we got a 1/4 of the way into it. That part wasn't so good but we had a ton of great times! She was fearless!

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

deepdiver

Mike,

I don't know how far you live from Cobo Hall in Detroit but every February the have the Annual Dog Show, where there is almost every type of dog you can think of there. Most of the people that bring their dogs to these shows are breeders or know reputable breeders. So this way you could have a face to face or get a contact. Just an idea

thedude

Mike - try http://www.gaffkesgundogs.com.
They are over by mt. pleasant, but a great breeder and a great family. I got my black lab there years ago and he's pretty much ruined any chances of ever having a better dog. super smart and great temperments - very athletic builds and the pups are well socialized with kids and other animals from day 1. Reasonable prices and all the papers and health certs you would want from a serious breeder. I'm not sure when their next litter will be, but they have 2 black lab pups at 7.5wks ready to go.
West Michigan Bass www.westmichiganbass.com
Palehorse Custom Rods

FOB

Mike,

Pointe Mouillee Waterfowl Festival is next weekend ( sat 9/8 and sun 9/9 )  They normally have 4 or 5 breeders there w/ labs, goldens and chessie's.  I will be there both days for Wonderland Marine West w/ hunting boats. 

If you need any info, let me know.
Ralph Blasey
Wonderland Marine West  734-417-5550

Mike S.

Thanks guys. I forgot all about this post.  I am being patient right now, waiting for the time that I am absolutely ready to get another dog.  I don't want to jump right in to it, but we are still missing our last one.  Somebody in the house brings her up every day.