Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:00:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

No Alabama Rig pictures yet?

Started by Mike S., April 29, 2012, 05:54:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike S.

I have been waiting, to see pics and hopefully to post my own, but have not yet seen or heard about anyone's experience with it. I threw mine yesterday. It's not nearly as bad as I thought it would be to retrieve. That was short lived though.

I made a few good casts with it. Then, I got it snagged. I just went and got it. Didn't risk snapping line. Then, it all came to an abrupt end. I make my next cast. The A rig is sailing through the air. Then the splash. Then, I look down at my reel. It's the mother of all backlashes. It's toast. A brand new spool of 17# Halo, trash. Oh well, guess I gotta pay to play. Hope some of you has better luck. I will be trying to make reel adjustments for that big honker.

Manxfishing

Sorry to hear that

But if your after advice
Use 65# braid

bigjc

I found that it takes more of a long lob, than a normal cast.

Why braid???

SethV

While playing with it in Kentucky this spring I started with 30 lb mono - not near enough.  Lost 2 rigs - now I am running 70 lb Diawa braid and it is working much better.  Still have not got bit with it in Michigan yet.

detroit1

I thru mine for a half hour yesterday and got no follows. Looks cool though...i used 50#braid/5600c4/h 7'6" flip stick and had no issues...casts a mile.
WAVE THERAPY

Waterfoul

I've been throwing mine on 17 lb Trilene 100% floro all spring, including 7 days down at Table Rock Lake without losing a single bait.  I really don't think heavy braid is necessary if you have it on a good reel and are proficient with it.  I am throwing it with a Curado.

I have yet to catch a fish on it in Michigan however.  Threw it on Pentwater a bit Sunday and on Mona yesterday without a taker.

I think the key to learning how to thow the A-rig is starting with the reel tight... make easy casts.  Slowly loosen up the spool tensions adjustments until you get to the point where you can cast it out and let it land with NO THUMB on the spool.  Then loosen it up just a tad more and you should be at max cast distance without much of a threat of the evil "professional overun."  I have yet to have a single backlash (I probably shouldn't have said that!) with my set up. 

Oh, and DON'T try to OVER THROW IT.  Lob it out there.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

Mike S.

I think I'm going to just hang mine from the ceiling in the garage and make it a decoration. Not real fond of it anyways. Don't really want to throw it.

Waterfoul

Quote from: mikeszr800 on May 01, 2012, 09:01:56 PM
I think I'm going to just hang mine from the ceiling in the garage and make it a decoration. Not real fond of it anyways. Don't really want to throw it.

It has a time and place for sure. 
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

huston

I have not tried one yet. I have a few but I think I'll try the two or three hook models before I go to the five.

bassbmx

I haven't tried one yet and I probably won't unless people start killing them around here with the A-rigs.  I think most of the lakes around here are too clear and pressured for the A-rig to catch a lot of fish.  Also, it's more of a big fish bait, especially if you are fishing it with 4"+ swimbaits. If it does catch fish, the bass are going to get used to them fast.

huston

I 'm going down to Joe Wheeler and Wilson, I'll try it down there. Leaving tomorrow and coming back around Thursday.

MSURoss

Despite the weather I was able able to make it to Lake Mecosta for an hour before it got dark. Caught a pike on an A-rig if that counts only threw it a couple times. It will catch bass just need to get the right conditions and waters that aren't infested with pike. I got the 20in smallie on a lucky craft pointer in female bluegill color.

djkimmel

Pike count. Some people like them! I don't really mind as much as I act. They are inconvenient sometime. And they do tend to prefer expensive lures over cheap. I think.

Pretty good catch for 1 hour! I like the bass a little better.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

MSURoss

Also caught six pike on the luckycraft without a blemish in the line. Must be that FC sniper!

djkimmel

Don't jinx it!

Hey? Where's all those other CMU bass anglers? Will and Troy?

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

bigjc

Threw the A-rig for a while on Dale Hollow today...no takers!  My buddy got hit in the back of the boat on a single swim bait, while I was throwing the a-rig.

Oh well, maybe tomorrow.

customfishn

I can't throw them anymore. I have a total of 3 hours with not as much as a bite.

Mike S.

Quote from: customfishn on May 07, 2012, 08:44:35 PM
I can't throw them anymore. I have a total of 3 hours with not as much as a bite.

Yep.  I'm not crazy about it myself.  Maybe I will put it on the Christmas tree this year.  That's about all it's good for in my opinion.

MSURoss

Ya so much for all the people that thought it would devastate a fishery lol

Waterfoul