Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 01:45:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Long Lake Lapeer County

Started by MBell, January 06, 2006, 07:00:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MBell

Hey,
This lake is less than a mile from my house, but the gate is never open.  According to the dnr and various other publications is has a large public boat ramp.  I've contacted the dnr and yet to hear anything and was wondering if any of you guys knew what was up. 
Thanks,Matt

djkimmel

That's odd. And kind of disturbing. Maybe I can find something out next week.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

ronhuntfish

The gates do not open untill July 4th.
The DNR manages that lake for the birds, geese mainly.  It is a decent size lake but is also a no gas motor lake.  The ramp has cement, but it is not what I would call a 'large' ramp.  It has been a while since I fished it, but I used to fish it A LOT when I was in my teens and early twenties. 
I don't think that they put much, if any, effort into managingthe fishing. Like I said, they manage it for the birds, so they keep people off of it early and late in the year so the birds are not disturbed. 

Some history on the lake:  At the NE end of the lake used to be the location of the summer home of Mr. Vernor of the Vernor's Ginger Ale fame.  In the Early part of the 1900's, not sure exactly, his cottage burned down.  My dad can remeber back in the fifties all that was left was some stones/pavers from the front porch and the chimney. Also there were stone steps going down to the lake.  I can remeber the steps and the porch from the early eighties.  At some point, he gave/sold his property to the State of Mich.  All the property surrounding the lake is basically a nature preserve, not open to hunting, or even walking on I don't think.  Most of the adjacent property is state land.
If you drive down Vernor road around the north side of the lake, you might be able to see some remains of his old place, not sure though. It is just a little past (east of) the DNR facility.
Now I'm thinking I should drive by there, since it's been a long time.
There are also a handfull of smaller lakes near there that are ok fishing.  Most are reletivily hard to get to and have ok to poor access.

MBell

Thanks for the info, if I get anything back from the dnr I will post it.  I fished cedar lake quite a bit this summer, that lake gets a ton of pressure.  Cedar is fun, but no fish my biggest was only 13" and I caught well over 100 largemouths out there this year.  If there was any quality fish out there I would have ran into a few, the only keeper I ever saw was in a shore fisherman's bucket and only about 1.5lbs. Know anything about fish lake, is it public?  I can get my boat in there as well just never got around to it.  Anyone know if it's ok to take a gas motor on a no gas motor lake as long as you don't use it?
-Matt 

djkimmel

In the past, you could not take a gas motor onto such a lake whether you ran the motor or not. Same as if they have a horsepower limit, you can't take a larger motor even if you say you'll only go no-wake.

That's why I worked hard years back with others on some popular lakes to change them from electric only to slow no-wake instead, so any angler could fish them. More fair. When we flipped Sleepy Hollow from electric only, a bunch of other lakes went that way too because the only real solid goal had been to keep them quiet fishing lakes.

Been a loonnnggg time since I had that discussion with MDNR recreation people. I guess I didn't know there were really any such lakes left in Michigan in the lower more-populated parts of the state. Surprise.

If the MDNR has other purposes for a lake, such as studies, water quality test, sanctuary, it would be harder to get a change in the format. Not impossible, but harder. It usually depends on how the locals feel.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

ronhuntfish

I always thought it meant no gas motors even if you don't use it, but then I have seen people with them on their boats. 
I've had the same experience with the other lakes around there, lots of fish, but all dinks.  I did catch about a 23 inch largemouth out of Fox Lake, but again, that was many moons ago. You also had to carry your boat to the water then.
My experience with Fish lake is lots of pan fish, mostly small. 
Now that my kids are getting a little older, I may have to try these lakes this summer.  You rekindled my intrest again!

MBell

Just got a response from the dnr, all they said was to call the livonia office.   
-Matt

djkimmel

Well... guess you'll be giving Gary Towns or one of his guys a call - one of these numbers if  you don't already have them (others might want to write these down for later too):
734-953-0241  main I think
734-432-1267

Skulley

Never heard of this one......how many are there????     Long Lakes in Michigan.

BD       ;D
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

Dan

There's a Long Lake just north of Interlochen which is a little southwest of Traverse. A big lake with some great smallmouth, walleye and mushie fishing.
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

ronhuntfish

Drove by Long Lake in Lapeer yesterday. It's open for ice fishing now. Not sure how long they keep it open though.  There were about 5 or six vehicles in the parking lot.

MBell

I was one of them, I've talked to a few people out there and no one knows anything.  They said when the gates open it's open.
-Matt