Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 05:11:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Dan Kimmel is the finest man alive!

Started by Genie, April 02, 2012, 11:19:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Genie

Hello everyone ... I just wanted to make a post to make everyone aware of how wonderful Dan really is.  We all have it lucky here at GLB because of ALL THE HARD WORK Dan does for us.

Recently Dan has had to deal with some major issues with the forum and for his business in general because of all the spam and hacking stuff going on.  I'm not sure if you all know the insane number of hours he is putting in to make everyone aware of his findings and to what extent he has been working to make sure the site is safe for everyone.

Dan really takes this stuff personally!  I know because I get the emails from him at 2 in the morning with questions, revelations, concern, and downright frustration from all this spam.  He is seriously making himself ill with worry and concern about the potential for someone getting their computer infected by something from this site. 

He is going to great lengths to make sure that doesn't happen.  I know entire IT departments that don't work as hard on this issue as Dan is ... and this site is free.

That is the purpose for my post ... let's help Dan offset some costs a little and donate some money.  It's a small gesture that goes a long way in helping Dan. Because of all this internet junk stuff, he has really had to spend some serious money to make sure this free board doesn't infect anyone he considers his friend - all of us on this board.

Here is a link to his Donate page: http://www.greatlakesbass.com/forum/index.php?action=paypal

It doesn't take much to send $5 or $10 bucks to him.  He never asks for anything from us.  Pleas make a donation of whatever you can.  I know how hard he works for all of us!  Consider it anti-virus for your computer - that is what he is obsessed with ... protecting all of us while on this site.

I want my boys to grow up to be like Dan .. well without the sleep, stress, worry, Ranger owner, and life problems ... everything else though.  ;D

- Genie
Grand Rapids, MI
Stop Wishin' and get Fishin' with MyFishingLogs.com
http://www.myfishinglogs.com

Insanity - Doing the same thing and expecting different results.  Stop the insanity!

Genie

Grand Rapids, MI

Insanity - Doing the same thing and expecting different results.  Stop the insanity!

Cy

Quote from: Genie on April 02, 2012, 11:25:27 AM
Just donated $25 - Thanks Dan!

I just matched Genie's bid!  Thanks for all the hard work Dan!

Cyrus Ruel

West Michigan Bass
www.westmichiganbass.com

Xtreme Bass Tackle
www.xtremebasstackle.com

OST
www.ostusa.com

Westside Garage
www.westsidegarage.net

Firefighter Jeff

Quote from: Cy on April 02, 2012, 11:32:10 AM
Quote from: Genie on April 02, 2012, 11:25:27 AM
Just donated $25 - Thanks Dan!

I just matched Genie's bid!  Thanks for all the hard work Dan!

I just matched Cy's bid !!  Thanks for everything Dan  !!!!

djkimmel

I did not see this. I'm am blushing and flattered. I definitely want to apologize to Genie (and everyone else really) for 'thinking out loud' way too much!!! Sorry Doug!! I think I learned too much and reported too much thinking in the past couple of weeks but I wanted to be sure what to share with everyone, and probably didn't do the clear, concise job required.

I saw so many other websites and website designers who are getting hammered I was checking all the things that happened to them to make sure they weren't or didn't happen here. I would be mortified to be involved in some of this other stuff going on. I'm very glad my server is still secure on its own. I have added some additional hardening and stumbling blocks for bad people (and messed the one up today that caused some temporary popup problems for some of you - SORRY!!).

It was my personal laptop that got attacked which is the most common way these people get to your servers. I don't know if webserver owners and operators can go too far in pc security? I have changed quite a few things I do to make everything on my laptop and account accesses as secure as all the research says I can make it for now. Going to keep my eye a little more on the latest exploit news coming out too.

I figured out most of what was done to my laptop. Mostly likely how it was done. I've shared some of that. I would definitely recommend if you have Java installed that you set it to update more often than once per month, and clear out its own temporary Internet files through its link in Control Panel. I plan on writing a tips post that I hope helps others avoid what was done to me and other useful tips. Mostly the stuff security articles always say to do but with some tweaks in how you do it with a few explanations why.

I've been driving poor Genie crazy trying to figure out how to not scare people away from my sites and the Internet while sharing things I've found that can make your time on it more secure and safe. I should probably donate a large consulting fee to him! (Sorry again)

I will always do a full disclosure regardless of the cost to me because I really do appreciate all the people who spend time here and share. And I want to keep this place safe and sound. Thanks for your continued support and participation!

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Genie

You have done all of us a favor with your continued research and unfortunate pain.  There are a few of us on this board that are IT people and deal with this kind of stuff on a regular basis.  For us to perform what you have outlined for a customer could reach into the thousands of dollars depending on the number users affected.  You serve it up here FREE for all to take advantage of and learn from.

You never have to apologize for bugging me - I'm usually up anyway with one of the boys anyway!  :)

I just hope everyone realizes your work is benefiting everyone!

-Genie
Grand Rapids, MI

djkimmel

The real benefit will be in finding out that all my changes have made things more secure and it doesn't ever happen again. The normal attacks are all coming in all the time but just getting knocked away. I still plan on sharing some of the additional tips I've picked up now that I'm watching the latest things the hackers are trying more. It's better to know and have some ideas than to pretend they aren't there. Way better.

I feel a little better that I received some positive response back from some of the ISP's and hosts I reported some of the various sites to over the last two weeks. If they did what they tell me they did, I've helped in a tiny way, reduce the risk for some other websites and visitors. Especially that rogue site in Europe. They tell me they identified the process and shut it down after I reported it. I'm not going to go test that because other security people were already looking at it, but I hope that is true. It was a bad one. Since it was a European branch of a major US company, I think I can trust they did what they said.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Mike S.

Donation sent. Thanks Dan for all your hard work. I really enjoy this site, and all of the events you work so hard on for us.

djkimmel

Thank you so much guys! I feel guilty getting support after I had a bad event. The main reason I spent the time was to make sure I knew exactly what might have been done during the short time the code was on the site. I feel like I've done that. The second, I mentioned above - my web server is secure, but I made it more secure based on the latest I've learned and more importantly, have added so much to my laptop, I don't know what else I can do to be more locked down. Genie suggested one other thing I have seen some web developers use to add another layer of protection.

I appreciate all of your participation and support so much! It makes all the time worth it and very necessary to earn your trust and support. Now, I need to get back to getting some news caught up and work on some other websites. I've added to my up front todo list for all new websites to make them all tougher and safer so that is a good thing.

I will still do an tips post or two on suggestions anyone can do to make it easier to enjoy the web more safely. Just need some time to write and edit it so it is easy to follow for some key areas. Recently been a new round of higher email account hacks I've been getting from quite a few people so that is definitely an area I have some suggestions for that should help. I once looked up a page that showed step-by-step how to easily hack a gmail account and couldn't believe that it was so easy to find, so easy to do and that it worked (a ex-coworker asked me about it after it was done to her). I'd hope by now Google slammed that door shut. I'm sure they have. They have plenty of computer people working for them.

One quick suggestion for you facebook people (not you mikeszr800, I know) is to go into your facebook profile and change your security to always use a secure link.

Home (upper R) | Account Settings | Security (L link) | Edit Secure Browsing
and check the 'Browse Facebook on a secure connection (https) when possible' checkbox. Then click the Save Changes button. It changes your connection to SSL (https).

That makes it harder for anyone to hijack your account or profile. You still have to avoid clicking links you aren't absolutely sure about and giving any apps access to your account that you don't know 100% what they do and who made them. I have almost no apps on my account because they all pretty much want permissions I don't want to give. I get plenty of requests but I don't have time to check them all out first.

Rodz

djkimmel

Wow! Thanks for being nice and generous. I will strive to make sure you continue to be glad you're here.

Genie

Grand Rapids, MI

djkimmel

Thanks for being the big old teddy bear that you are Genie. If everyone finds out... I want to graciously thank the 8 members who donated thanks to Doug, and Cy also, of course. Actually 7 members donated but Genie is such a softy he donated twice!! You are a good kind person. Now everyone knows! It means a lot to me to get this kind of support. I always know I have my work cut out for me to try to improve things here so more of you continue to feel your time here is time well spent.

huston

My donation is in an this site is worth it. Matched the $25.00, nice round figure

djkimmel

Quote from: huston on April 15, 2012, 09:57:41 PM
My donation is in an this site is worth it. Matched the $25.00, nice round figure

I saw that! You and another super nice member! I really appreciate the support. I also appreciate your participation and helping out at the Ultimate Sport Show. Big, big help! I will do my best to keep you thinking it was worth it!