Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 19, 2024, 06:03:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

smallmouth baits

Started by Weedsnager, April 01, 2012, 01:45:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weedsnager

what "other" baits are you guys using for great lakes smallmouth, besides your standard erie darters, tubes, and cranks? anyone have a good hand pour like an erie darter, looking to show the fish something a little different.

thedude

nemesis baits makes some outstanding gobies.  xtemebass tackle for tubes.
West Michigan Bass www.westmichiganbass.com
Palehorse Custom Rods

Cy

I know a lot of guys that drop shot for smallies all the time, shallow and deep.  Dartag was big into a couple years ago I don't know how much he still does it? 

Cyrus Ruel

West Michigan Bass
www.westmichiganbass.com

Xtreme Bass Tackle
www.xtremebasstackle.com

OST
www.ostusa.com

Westside Garage
www.westsidegarage.net

Cheetam

Try the Jackall Crosstail Shad.
Jeff

1morecast

Alot of guys are using Zipper Worm Company Pudgy's, shot worms and 3" lil Thumpers on LSC and Grand Traverse Bay. www.zipperwormcompany.com Awesome hand pours....

Jeri Toner
Director Sales & Marketing

Fishing Complete, Inc.
Home of the O-Wacky Tool
Case Plastics
Lunch Money Tubes
Zipper Worm Company

Wavespin Reels Fishing Staff

MSURoss

Cant go wrong with berkley gulp alive minnow s and leaches

bigmojet

I second the Berkely Gulp leeches.

Dan

I too favor the large black Berkley Gulp leeches on St. Clair and Erie.  In the Great NW corner lakes, you can't go wrong with a 4 inch curly tail grub fished on a lead head hook exposed. Slick days on St. Clair I've done well with it as well.
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

markgoetsch

Also check out Revolution Baits gobie.  Its alot bulkier than you usual gobie plastic and has done very well on both erie and st. clair.

LAPORTE

Quote from: Cheetam on April 01, 2012, 10:09:45 PM
Try the Jackall Crosstail Shad.

O yea .....  ;D ;D  & Super crosstail shad
2008 Skeeter 20I " Thanks Robin"

Weedsnager

how are you guys riggin the Berkely Gulp leeches ?

MSURoss

Quote from: Weedsnager on April 02, 2012, 10:13:17 PM
how are you guys riggin the Berkely Gulp leeches ?

I dropshot them. I nose hook them with a size 1 gammy split shot hook.

Mojo

Wow, y'all just give up the ghost eh ?

Try this - springtime rattle traps - jerk baits, Especially in the spring - my first 6 lbr came on the LC chartreuse shad 100 ct. And white spinnerbaits in 6 fow - kustom kicker  has a high quality 1/2 oz thats survived a whole summer and countless smally beatings. 

Summertime is all NEmisis 3 inch, tubes from Xtreme bass tackle (obvious) Berkley gulp minnows, and if you want to try something new, PM and I'll hook you up with a dynamite alternative. That rocks deep in the rivers.
Thanks Dan for bringing year round Catch and Release to Michigan

Waterfoul

Reaction Innovations Smallie Beaver.  Hands down my favorite bait for smallies.  

Except here on Table Rock Lake (where I am as I type this).  So far this week It seems to be shakey head worms in watermellon black flake or a blue pearl grub swam slowly near the bottom.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

fiker

Mojo beat me to the post I would have made.  Only one addition perhaps.  Wayne C. talks about using hula grubs in areas of current on a 3 way rig. 
So much water.  So many lures.  So little time.

Member of  Downriver Bass Association

www.buildwithmomentum.com 734.649.9390

stackenem

Mojo, I believe that dynamite in the deep river is not a legal bait. Not even if you put frog legs on it. :o :o :o
Remember you don't quit fishing when you get old, you get old when you quit fishing

Got Fish??

Look guys. If it ain't broke don't fix it. It is a know brainer. Drift and drag tubs. Any color in lake Erie as long as it's green, or made by Wayne C.

Mojo

Quote from: Got Fish?? on April 03, 2012, 05:12:59 PM
Look guys. If it ain't broke don't fix it. It is a know brainer. Drift and drag tubs. Any color in lake Erie as long as it's green, or made by Wayne C.

Yeah buddy !!!!!!!
Thanks Dan for bringing year round Catch and Release to Michigan

Weedsnager

Quote from: Got Fish?? on April 03, 2012, 05:12:59 PM

No one drifts and drags tube on  southern lake michigan......when you head out on the weekend on the south end of the lake there can be a ton of boats out there, and alot of people fishing the same area, i wanted some ideas on showing the fish something a little different.

djkimmel

Early and late in the year, try blade baits too.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.