Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 09:31:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Speedo question

Started by Mike S., March 26, 2012, 05:00:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike S.

I am annoyed by the speedo in my boat. When I'm sitting still, It's reading 30. When I'm hauling the mail, its reading 55. I know they aren't accurate to begin with, but it just bugs me. Can they be recalibrated?  Or, should I just buy a new one?

Waterfoul

No, you may not wear a speedo.

You probably have something stuck in the pick up on the transom or in the hose between there and the speedo.  It may not be letting the pressure off the gauge at rest, and not letting the correct pressure to the gauge at speed.  Check it.  Take the hose off both the pick up end and the back of the speedo and shoot some compressed air thru it.  Check the pick up for debris in the hole... it's a small hole so it only takes a little to make a big difference.

If none of this works... get a new speedometer.  

And still.....NO SPEEDOS!!!!

PS.  Do NOT shoot compressed air towards the speedometer with it still hooked up.  Speedometers are simply calibrated pressure gauges and you will completely destroy one if you do this.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

TheFishinPollock

No speedos with great lakes bass on um either??   You could use various abbreviations of it depending on your butt size.  It might be a big seller for the site to generate money . :D :D
Matthew" the pollock" Novak
1986 Champ 168
 2014 Pro XS 115 Merc

dartag

I have owned a lot of boats and never had a speedo work.  my mastercraft had 2 and they never agreed.  My Ranger only goes 30 mph wide open.     A GPS is the only way to get a good speed.  Plus you can mark your good spots.

Waterfoul

Quote from: dartag on March 26, 2012, 07:28:16 PM
I have owned a lot of boats and never had a speedo work.  my mastercraft had 2 and they never agreed.  My Ranger only goes 30 mph wide open.     A GPS is the only way to get a good speed.  Plus you can mark your good spots.

30 mph Ranger eh??  Sounds like you should buy a Triton.  Or a Skeeter.  Or some other fast bassboat.  LOL!!!
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

TheFishinPollock

I hate looking at my GPS. It's depressing when i see i can't yet get the boat over 55 MPH even though that is the inland lake speed limit.  Especially now that my 900# boat with a bored out 115 , up to what I woudl guess is a 125ish.
Matthew" the pollock" Novak
1986 Champ 168
 2014 Pro XS 115 Merc

Mojo

I am annoyed by the speedo in my boat...........

Can you be more specific ? 3xxl ? What color ?  ;D.

:'(.    Mike I had so many jokes to put down here but a laughed myself off the chair and just hurt myself .....
Thanks Dan for bringing year round Catch and Release to Michigan

bigjc

Forget the speedo...they are all terribly inaccurate.  GPS is the only reliable way to judge speed on the water.  Remove the speedo and fill that space with something useful, like a clock or something...LOL

djkimmel

Quote from: TheFishinPollock on March 26, 2012, 07:22:39 PM
No speedos with great lakes bass on um either??   You could use various abbreviations of it depending on your butt size.  It might be a big seller for the site to generate money . :D :D

Interesting suggestion. I think I'll table it for now. Maybe sit on it for a while. Maybe try it on, out... later?

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

djkimmel

I don't know if I have ever seen a working speedometer in a bass boat...?? Other than maybe a brand new one for the first few minutes on its first run. Then it would quit.

Trying to keep a speedometer working in a bass boat could lead to madness. I like the idea of a clock or something else more useful.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Mike S.

First off, I have to say I was surprised by th number of responses to this post. After reading the first one, I quickly realized that I was in trouble! 

I have gps, so I don't rely on the speedometer at all. I just get irritated when I look over and see it all goofy. Thanks for the suggestions on trouble shooting it. I will get right on it today.

Mojo, I hope you're ok!  Hope you didn't hit the floor too hard when falling from your chair.

Well, now that I am aware of how everyone feels, I guess I won't bring my speedo to LSC  in May. I don't want to get laughed at........ :-\'

Waterfoul

Any  more mention of you in a speedo and I'll never fish with you again!  LOL!!   :D

A clock in it's place... now there's a great idea!

thedude

Lol - mike did you just try to say rangers and tritons are "fast" ?

look on the back of the gauge mike, there's probably screw or dial to adjust it to zero at idle. the rest of it is probably a bad line or pickup.  I agree though, they never work anything near accurate.
West Michigan Bass www.westmichiganbass.com
Palehorse Custom Rods

Eric

Please do not post pictures of your speedo!!!!!!

If you do, I vote that you be the second person to be unwelcome at this site.
www.ReelResponseSolutions.com
www.BassinWithEric.com

Waterfoul

Quote from: thedude on March 27, 2012, 08:44:14 AM

look on the back of the gauge mike, there's probably screw or dial to adjust it to zero at idle. the rest of it is probably a bad line or pickup.  I agree though, they never work anything near accurate.

Faster than your Tracker.  That's all that counts.

bigjc

Quote from: Waterfoul on March 29, 2012, 11:04:57 PM
Quote from: thedude on March 27, 2012, 08:44:14 AM

Faster than your Tracker.  That's all that counts.

Ouch!!  That is the sweetest Tracker I have ever fished out of, and not bad on the big water either.  Its no Legend, but pretty nice for a tin boat.

djkimmel

Any boat you own and can get you fishing is pretty good! In my book!

Mike S.

Quote from: Eric on March 29, 2012, 08:02:40 AM
Please do not post pictures of your speedo!!!!!!

If you do, I vote that you be the second person to be unwelcome at this site.

Hey, look who crawled out of their hiding spot. Where have you been?  All this talk about "speedos" get you going?  Lol.