Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 07:09:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Michigan Bass Season POLL

Started by Mojo, March 23, 2012, 08:53:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I believe the Michigan Bass Season should be:

Unchanged
17 (9.7%)
C&IR Feb 16. - Day before Memorial day; Possession begins Memorial day - Feb. 15
21 (12%)
C&DR Jan 1 - Day before Memorial day; Possession begins Memorial Day - Dec 31
38 (21.7%)
Open all year - No closed season
62 (35.4%)
$15 C&DR permit, all year, Possession season remains unchanged
19 (10.9%)
$10 C&IR permit, all year, Possession season remains unchanged
18 (10.3%)

Total Members Voted: 175

Skulley

Quote from: djkimmel on December 15, 2012, 01:52:43 AM
I'd like more ramps built 'right' too - not joking!

I'll second that!!!!

BD.                      ;D
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

leo7477

Any chance the bass season will be changed for 2013?

Skulley

Probably not. The MDNR for some reason doesn't like bass fisherman. We do more for the resource and we are an excellent source off revenue for the state. Hopefully some day they will all figure it out.

BD.                                ;D
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

Manxfishing

Quote from: UAWBigDog on February 25, 2013, 01:48:43 PM
Probably not. The MDNR for some reason doesn't like bass fisherman. We do more for the resource and we are an excellent source off revenue for the state. Hopefully some day they will all figure it out.

But they sure do love the invasive species
100 years ago there were no Kings, Coho or rainbow trout in the state

djkimmel

The MDNR Fisheries Division told me last year there would be no more changes to fishing regulations in Michigan until 2015 no matter what.

That doesn't mean they get their way or that they don't change their mind.

I am hearing from more and more, and a broader range of people, businesses and government (local to state) who agree that people should just be able to fish whenever they want without worrying about technical issues, accusations and more time-wasting. People and business want more opportunity and less restrictions.

The MDNR is desperate for more anglers, especially youth. I'm hoping both needs collide to fix things with less of a headache and long, drawn out processes. A lot to ask for, but one can always hope.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

djkimmel

Quote from: leo7477 on February 25, 2013, 01:37:34 PM
Any chance the bass season will be changed for 2013?

A more direct answer, almost nothing changes that fast in government or things like the MDNR. Last time we changed the bass season, it took 2 years. It started from a wider divide than maybe it needs to start this time. Not sure.

If someone could spearhead a movement to start this change with some good organizational help and participation, maybe a year and a half this time depending upon timing.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

bassfan586

I read somewhere that snyder wants to up the fees for the  hunting and fishing license.   $25 for all species with no option for non trout /salmon.  Well open up the closed bass season then.  Give us something.  Extend deer season too.  Anyone else read this?  They want to hire 60 more c.o's.
Got one!

Got Fish??

How about some more trash cans and a little more work done  on boat ramps

djkimmel

Yes - there's been some discussion about the license fees proposal in the Legislation board down below - http://www.greatlakesbass.com/forum/index.php?topic=16925.0

ROI Outdoors

With the Deputy Director of the MDNR saying he "thinks that bass tournaments would be a great way to increase our natural resource economy" shouldn't we work on solutions that best support that statement??

Bass, Walleye, and Pike season all opening on the same date (April 27th in 2013) is a reasonable solution that I do not think has been proposed......easy, simple, and economically driven.  Tourneys get another month, those who follow the C&R season can still do so, the walleye anglers won't oppose, the pike anglers will not oppose, local economies will greatly benefit, the MDNR will sell more licenses (out of state license purchases should significantly increase)......the majority wins out in this scenario.  Year-round C&R is great but for years like this what would it do to "increase our natural economy" - not much at all.  Year round C&R would be great but with it comes plenty of resistance from the pike and walleye community.....
Luke A. Winstrom - Founder/President
Return On Investment Outdoors
luke.winstrom@roioutdoors.com
Direct Line - (616) 366-1395
Visit us Online @ www.roioutdoors.com

djkimmel

Legal year-round bass fishing in Michigan has always been a personal priority of mine. There are a lot more bass anglers than tournament bass anglers so my priority is to get more bass anglers out fishing first because it is more doable right now with the time and support available. I believe the rest will come.

Anyone else is more than welcome to come up with their own proposal and pursue it. All it takes is time and determination. If you want something done you just have to be willing to work at it. That's how change happens.

thedude

the april compromise is a good one. I think the DNR is only being nice to us because they want us to support the license increase. Thinking solely as a bass fisherman, the increase is obviously a total rip-off because we will see almost none of that money go toward bass management and all of it go to walleye, salmon and trout stocking programs and other "boutique" fisheries like muskie (ie - high management cost and statistically low angler participation).  Bass don't require much if any management other than basic harvest regulation - so very low cost.

An opportunity to ask for more and actually get it will probably not happen again in the next 20 years. I truly hope the TBF/Fed. Nation considers this before making the official proposals to the DNR.  This will be the only time you EVER have the upper hand. They need something from us.

Easy for me to be an armchair quarterback - i want to say i do appreciate the time and effort you've put into this dan - I would just hate to be this close and not maximize what could be offered.
West Michigan Bass www.westmichiganbass.com
Palehorse Custom Rods

Genie

Agreed - we might want to push for everything we can now as the wheels of changes are obviously slow turning.
Grand Rapids, MI
Stop Wishin' and get Fishin' with MyFishingLogs.com
http://www.myfishinglogs.com

Insanity - Doing the same thing and expecting different results.  Stop the insanity!

djkimmel

I told Matt at the meeting yesterday that I was already planning on bringing up the alternative of 'simplifying' the regulations by having regular bass open the same day as most trout, walleye and pike. I have had some nice contact from an non-tournament angler up North over the past couple weeks who suggested the same thing.

I also think that you may be surprised how many anglers, even on this website, who will not want that to happen. It isn't half on this website, but it isn't only 1 or 2 people either. I have been actively promoting the idea to government officials the past few weeks about helping attract more tournaments as a way to increase our natural resources economy and have definitely discussed our short, scientifically unnecessary bass season as a major limiting factor. I even talked to the Governor about this briefly Thursday. I work on this issue off and on all the time as a general rule, which is why I am usually branded as someone who just wants more opportunity to have more tournaments. Yes, I do. But #1 - primary - I want more fishing opportunity! Period!! The rest will happen on its own if that is what anglers want to do. I never can figure out why that isn't as apparent to other anglers and the MDNR as it is to me? People are going to do what people want to do.

I have to have an official position from the Michigan B.A.S.S. Nation (MBN) for the June meeting since they are who I officially represent on the MDNR Warmwater Resources Steering Committee. I believe the proposal they approved is already fairly 'radical' for some anglers (and lake association, other people who may not be crazy about the idea). The MBN also approved a more 'radical' proposal to do away with most closed seasons for most fish in Michigan by making catch-and-immediate-release legal instead of saying you cannot attempt to take a fish during its closed season as present law states (Act 451 of 1994 as amended).

There was at least one club rep at the meeting yesterday who was very concerned about 'more tournaments' on Lake St. Clair and this is a common concern or anxiety I heard this spring when I was sampling various levels of anglers about extending the bass season on Lake St. Clair back to Memorial Day - frankly, I had more bass tournament anglers opposed or unhappy with this idea than regular everyday anglers who more and more just want to fish whenever they can without any worry about having what is supposed to be an enjoyable day bothered or getting tickets.

I also get the private contact from members on here and from the public who are too anxious to share their opinions publicly on this forum or others because they don't like the idea of bass tournaments through the whole spawn. I do not think they represent the majority anymore but if enough of them were to speak out, considering all the effort and money the Humane Society of the US is putting into badgering our elected officials about any attempt to get more hunting or fishing opportunity or more control by the NRC/MDNR, we may draw enough attention to lose most of any opportunity. I can't go through all this only to come out of it with nothing.

I do not agree with any feelings that this will be our only shot - I can still hear 1 bass guide from the late 90's into the early 2000's telling me over and over and over that a longer bass season would never happen in a million years in Michigan... It may seem 'easier' this year but that is something most easy to believe if you are sitting on the outside sharing opinion but not actually writing papers and attending meetings to speak about these types of things. It is never 'easy.'

I have made it very clear for at least the past year, if not several, that I do not have time to waste right now on excessive meetings, online debate and 'fighting' for more than I feel we can get (and that I can manage). I always bring up additional options and discuss ideas at many of these meetings and I always work in whatever spare time I have to help things along that further the common cause of more fishing and bass fishing opportunity in Michigan (ex: Bassmaster Elite Series on St. Clair and Toyota All-Star Week in Muskegon this year) but I personally have to stick pretty close right now to what I believe I can manage and accomplish with the available support and help.

ANYONE else is more than welcome to step in and do something, especially if that someone has more time and money - I WOULD NOT be going to these meetings if the MBN board had not made me their conservation person and offered to help me with travel expenses when I represent them. It is that simple.

Every time we have go through change attempts I know I will hear from people who want more, and people who don't like the way I do it or what I do. I also know it is always harder each time just because I (and maybe no one else) can get near 100% of the anglers to agree and back an option 100%.

The value of the bass federations is that they are now (well, MBN so far) saying they 100% back the present proposals because that is their position. It doesn't mean everyone like the proposals 100%. It just means they are all willing to compromise and support the ones they approved as the most acceptable option. That makes things easier for me. Saves me time and saves me money (both the same thing really).

djkimmel

I cannot have foreknowledge that we will even get the present main bass season proposal through to law. I won't start to know until the first 'official' discussion in June. I do feel I have a pretty good idea that many anglers of all types just want to go fishing whenever they can just as I felt in 2004 that many anglers and bass anglers were ready for a longer season.

I also firmly believe no, or very limited closed seasons are better for everyone including the MDNR. I have always felt that way, which is why I try to take the time to do the things that I do, including running this website.

And I firmly believe that I do not know if next year, or the years after, things will be even easier, or harder on the government/MDNR side - and neither does anyone else. I firmly believe that more anglers will continue to grow more accepting of longer fishing seasons, and even more bass tournaments (though maybe at a different pace). I believe changing angler attitudes will always help with efforts to get more fishing opportunity.

I'm much more concerned about the lack of involvement in the process from enough anglers and hunters, while the 'involvement' and effort from anti's (HSUS, PETA, lake association people who don't want more boats on their lake) will continue to be high, and possibly even grow with the continued loss of participation in hunting and fishing. Almost every one of the people I see at most of the meetings are I attend are the same people, getting older. Like me. There are almost no young people stepping in to take our places. I'm way more concerned about that! "I'm too busy." "I don't have time for that." blah blah blah It actually is kind of amazing anything does get accomplished...??

I'm too busy too. I definitely don't have time for it, or the money to be spending driving all over. But SOMEONE has to do it.

I realize it may seem that I am angry or being harsh. No. I may admit to be a little frustrated but hey, things are heading in the right direction again overall and that always helps. I am trying to figure out how to get through to more people. I get asked all the time, 'how can I help?' I think I have provided many ways and ideas, yet the help is still almost not there beyond some words. If you're not a member of either bass federation, you are more part of the problem than part of the solution. If you aren't a member of MUCC, than you are more part of the problem than part of the solution. If you don't ever attend meetings, call or email your elected officials, write a letter to you news editor, etc. than you are more part of the problem than part of the solution. How much more or less depends upon all the things you do take the time to do. At least some of you do take the time to put your opinions on online sites and polls and that does help make you more a part of the solution than the problem.

But, change can ALWAYS use more bodies. Change can ALWAYS use more funds. Change takes time/effort and change takes money (MUCC spent thousands of dollars to get a group of people with the Governor and legislators Thursday). The more people who help, the easier and less time it may take; The less people who help, the harder it is and the more time it takes, regardless of who is in 'control.'

Anyone who wants to 'push for the maximum' is going to have to find someone who has the time, money and knowledge to work for it, and then they are going to have to support that person in more than words - a lot more for that much of a change - if they want to have any success at all. I can't be that person at this time.

I definitely will discuss options and feel various groups out (MDNR, MUCC and all the other user groups represented on the various committees). I always do that one way or another. I know my limits and I have proposals that meet them already so if I can accomplish that much with the help of a few people and the federation(s), I will be pretty satisfied I have done all that I personally can do for now.

I would love to see someone else accomplish even more. For selfish reasons, that would save me time, money and stress. I love the idea of saving in those three areas, especially stress. The information is out there to do it for anyone willing to make the time to do it. I always help anyone as much as I can who is after the same things I am - more fishing opportunity, more youth fishing, good natural resource care with maximum wise-use of our resources (because that keeps more users involved at least as much as buying licenses, gear and gas that fund much of the natural resources care since in Michigan user fees are paying 94% of the bill).

djkimmel

As far as the Governor's 2014 proposed MDNR budget license free proposal, I feel going on about the rationale of why they shouldn't get it is not a good use of time. They haven't had an increase in 16 or 17 years and they are chiefly responsible for the care of our definitely valuable natural resources. I care deeply about our natural resources. As long as it appears the MDNR is willing to change, I have 0% qualms in supporting the new fees. I had only ~10% concern prior considering a Michigan fishing license is a bargain. A steal.

The MDNR is publicly and repeatedly stating they will be more transparent. Anyone who was at the MBN presidents' meeting yesterday (Packed room! Thank you everyone who made it!!) got a chance to hear that directly from the #2 person in the MDNR. The MDNR is also recognizing that they need to be more responsive to the warmwater anglers. That is part of the main points of their new plans.

I don't mind being aware of possible motives, but I always have no problem using improved situations to our advantage regardless what the motives may or may not be. In the end, the same good can be accomplished (one of the 'secrets' of our Democratic society).

I continued to work last Thursday at the Capitol to make sure our elected officials know that I feel it is more fair to fund the MDNR with more money from the General Fund, or some other source - MDNR Deputy Director William Moritz discussed this too yesterday. I will continue to work for more fair budgets as a normal part of my behavior. Meanwhile, the MDNR needs to be funded and I will work within what is available right now. That means user fees.

I don't think changing fees with some increase after 16-17 years is much to ask. I like the idea of streamlining 220 licenses down to 30-some. If you agree with me, please call, write or email your legislator. They are being swamped right now with calls from people listening to the Humane Society of the US. They are hearing from almost no anglers and hunters. Letters to your local news outlets are very helpful too.

Contact your Representative
Contact your Senator

Bill Parker, editor of Michigan Outdoor News, does a good job of explaining the budget proposal. There have been some recent changes within the legislative process. I will share them as soon as they appear a little more stable.

ROI Outdoors

What economic impact would a year round C&R season have for Michigan?  I think its fair to say that most who go out early will go out early regardless.....short of everything being closed there's always going to be an opportunity for anglers to get out on the water. For 2013 a year round C&R season wouldn't create any additional opportunity let alone have any economic impact so what's the benefit there again?

How many people from Michigan or from anywhere for that matter do I know that drive to New York to fish their early C&R bass season on Erie? I don't know anyone that does that....anyone else out there know anyone that does? 

How many people from Michigan drive to Kentucky Lake for the NBAA Championship?  How many people from Michigan drive to Wawasee or Lake James to fish an event at the end of April or the beginning of May?  How many out of state teams fish the Sturgeon Bay Open?  Well the answer is a lot and it's events like these that create the "natural resource economy" that our friend from the MDNR has eluded too.  He also repeated the words "especially local economies" when referring to the economic impact of bass fishing as a sport. Maybe I read him wrong but he seemed to imply that the opportunity was with actual revenue generating activities but then I guess he could have been speaking in natural resources code or maybe some new form of Spanish....

To me it's common sense, Economics 101, simple math, whatever you want to call it just makes sense to create REAL opportunity for EVERYONE including the local communities that would benefit from a last Saturday in April opener......
Luke A. Winstrom - Founder/President
Return On Investment Outdoors
luke.winstrom@roioutdoors.com
Direct Line - (616) 366-1395
Visit us Online @ www.roioutdoors.com

djkimmel

I disagree with your first 2 paragraphs because they are both inaccurate, but I realize your statements are colored by your desire to have everything the way you want it right now (man... don't we all).

As I pointed out through various communications already, there is NOTHING stopping you, Matt or anyone else from writing up a proposal and sending it to the MDNR, then going out and doing the work it takes to get it accepted and passed. Nothing.

I already have my proposals. I already have the support I need to get started. My plate is already more full than I wanted it this year. I say that just in case you are posting your thoughts hoping someone else will do the work for you (it won't be me - see sentences 1, 2 and 3 of this paragraph).

I was grouchier early. I hadn't eaten when I should. But being less grumpy now doesn't change my feelings - anyone who wants something different and thinks they've got it figured out - go for it! And good luck to you! I mean that! I would love to see more persons working for change that brings more outdoor opportunity to Michigan! It won't stop me from trying to get as much backing as I can for the proposals I have (because that helps them be successful and I don't like to put a lot of time into something that is likely to fail).

Share your opinions on here. That's great! One of the main reasons I created this website. But please, do not take your opinion from opinion to expecting it to be someone elses marching orders. If you want something different done this year, you will need to be prepared to do the work to make it happen (or hire someone to do it for you - there aren't a bunch of volunteers out there waiting for something to do for someone else).

If you are really just sharing your opinion, then I apologize. I misread your purpose. Just read my first paragraph above as my opinion in response to your opinion and skip the rest.

thedude

Dan - you've been given the opportunity by the groups with the political clout (albeit small) to successfully enact any kind of change. We can all submit proposals. They may get read, but enter grand-standing politics and our names mean nothing and we have no one to back us.  You singularly are the only person in this entire state right now with a tiny chance to make something happen - I'm not sure if you want that responsibility or not.  Knowing your personal stance, the scientific facts and given the circumstances of the events of Jan/Feb/Mar with the DNR, i'm personally confused and disappointed in the proposal. I was expecting something that resembled what you actually want and what anglers in MI deserve.  While you're spot on in that anyone of us can start from zero and in 20 years maybe get as far as you have - doesn't it make more sense to work together? There are plenty of people willing to chip in that want the exact same thing as you - doing everything yourself in a vacuum is a lose-lose imho.

I apologize for sounding critical, i sincerely do understand where you're coming from and appreciate the sacrifice it's taken - however the "me vs. the world" attitude doesn't jive with me.  There are people who's phone numbers you have (lots of them) that would lighten this burden. If you want to continue on that path, then don't share this info and just delete these posts because there is no point in discussing them.

Also - to be clear, i'm all for the license increase. That doesn't mean that we shouldn't get something out the deal.
West Michigan Bass www.westmichiganbass.com
Palehorse Custom Rods

MBell

Dan, I have no intentions of writing my own proposal.  This is one of the many reasons I'm a member of MBN and TBF.  As an individual it is difficult to have influence on issues like these and I rely on these organizations to represent me.  IMO if you Bass fish in Michigan and you're not a member of both organizations you're only hurting yourself.     However as a member of the MBN Sunday was my only opportunity to have any input on the proposals that will be representing us as members.  I receive all the emails from Paul, and don't recall anything asking our members opinions so they can be represented accurately.   My comments Sunday represented the majority of my club.  Our club doesn't feel the proposal creates any additional tournament opportunity in Michigan.  We also feel that opening St. Clair with the rest of the state will reduce spring tournament participation up north.  South east Michigan's natural economy will benefit from this, at the expense of the rest of the state.  Our club will continue to take our money out of state during the closed/catch & release season along with several other Michigan anglers.   Personally my #1 goal would be to expand the tournament season to allow for more cold water tournaments.  As we know as anglers and studies have shown fish mortality is directly related to water temperature, particularly with smallmouths.  With our current season the majority of tournaments take place during the warmest months of the year.  As for Luke, your opportunity to speak up was on Sunday!  The proposal is going forward as is to represent the MBN, so this discussion is pointless.  As for the license increase, I'm fine with it as long as they sell a prorated Bass license for the 6 months Bass season is open!   
-Matt