Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:02:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

A real storm for a change!!!

Started by Jmcfarland, March 04, 2012, 10:00:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jmcfarland

After listening to the weather man for the last 2-3 years and buying 2 snowmobiles we finally got a real SNOW event in northern Michigan!!! I know you guys on here are thinking spring as am I. But honestly I was glad it snowed before winter was completely over. I had a blast yesterday out riding. Definitely the most snow in one storm we have had up here in the last 5-10 years. I remember when this was a 2-4 times a month thing in the winter. I was only 5 years old but I remember. I know its a pain moving it around and plowing (thats how i spent the first half of the day). And the tornadoes down south were awful. The power is out up here all over. But this is what it used to be like a lot in the winter up here. I always get a kick out of it when the weather man says a major storm is on the way and we get 4-6 inches. Its got to make the older generations laugh. We got about 16-20 inches over night on friday. IT WAS AWESOME!!! I don't even like winter most years but maybe it is because we haven't had the snow and theres not a lot to do. I was out tugging and pulling on the sled all day. It was nice to get some excercise and fresh air. As for you guys waiting on spring I hear ya. I love fishing and the boat. But time away makes the heart grow fonder!!! LOL. It is supposed to be 40 degrees and rainy by wednesday up here. So don't worry to much!!!

bigmojet

I got 18 inches at my house. They're saying no power til least tuesday. Good day to sit in front of fireplace andclean rods and reels

Mike S.

I sold both of my sleds last May, when I upgraded my boat.  I definitely picked the right year to do that.  But, I really love snowmobiles, so I would imagine I will have a new one by October at the latest.  Sleds are definitely the next best thing to a crotch rocket, love hauling behind.  I am jealous of the ride by the way.

Jmcfarland

I guess Emmet county (where I live) only has about 30 people out of power as of this morning. Cheboygan county had about 2500 I believe. Traverse City area is bad it sounds like about 6000. A good wood stove/fireplace can really save you in a situation like that. As for the riding I was out again yesterday. My riding buddies parents have a big farm with open fields and rolling hills. It was awesome. 3-4ft of snow. Definitely need to upgrade my track for that kind of snow. But oh what fun!!! mikeszr800-  I too have always had a speed/horsepower/adrenaline addiction. Have been riding 4 wheelers since I was 3-4 years old. First dirtbike at 9. Kx 60. What a ripper that was to learn on. Its just been a natural progression. Bought a brand new Ktm 4 stroke 250 sxf a few years back. Had to sell it this past fall :'( Sleds are a little newer to me. I was out of high-school before I got into them. Have a 98 formula z 583 and an old yamaha enticer for the vintage rides. If it would snow like this every winter I would probably upgrade to a newer sled but its expensive to only get to ride 2 or 3 times a year. Plus there's this fishing/hunting bug I can't seem to shake.

djkimmel

We had some real storms too where I was at but there was absolutely no possibility of snow. In fact, I couldn't even make the guides understand what snow was. The language barrier didn't help, but when you've never seen or really heard of snow, it's a strange concept. Been a strange concept around the Great Lakes recently as you point out.

I'm blaming this winter completely on me! I started an ice fishing website and BANG! No ice! Sorry everyone but glad some of you 'northerners' get a few days of winter.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

TheFishinPollock

If we can blame you. Then you owe me 4 face cords of wood LOL
Matthew" the pollock" Novak
1986 Champ 168
 2014 Pro XS 115 Merc

bigmojet

If thats the case he owes me 14 gallons of gas run through my generator and some hot packs for my back from shoveling.

djkimmel

My neighbor has a bunch of wood. Not sure if I can get my hands on it or not?!? I imagine if I get the wood, you can get it red hot and then hold it against a back for heat?!?

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Mike S.

Quote from: Jmcfarland on March 05, 2012, 11:50:19 AM
I guess Emmet county (where I live) only has about 30 people out of power as of this morning. Cheboygan county had about 2500 I believe. Traverse City area is bad it sounds like about 6000. A good wood stove/fireplace can really save you in a situation like that. As for the riding I was out again yesterday. My riding buddies parents have a big farm with open fields and rolling hills. It was awesome. 3-4ft of snow. Definitely need to upgrade my track for that kind of snow. But oh what fun!!! mikeszr800-  I too have always had a speed/horsepower/adrenaline addiction. Have been riding 4 wheelers since I was 3-4 years old. First dirtbike at 9. Kx 60. What a ripper that was to learn on. Its just been a natural progression. Bought a brand new Ktm 4 stroke 250 sxf a few years back. Had to sell it this past fall :'( Sleds are a little newer to me. I was out of high-school before I got into them. Have a 98 formula z 583 and an old yamaha enticer for the vintage rides. If it would snow like this every winter I would probably upgrade to a newer sled but its expensive to only get to ride 2 or 3 times a year. Plus there's this fishing/hunting bug I can't seem to shake.

Oh man, you gotta get yourself on a 900 or 1000cc sled.  You want an adrenaline rush, that'll do it.  I am a big Arctic Cat freak, love them.  Next year I am hoping to buy an F1000.  Already have a long list of mods for that. 

I can totally relate to the fishing addiction.  It has taken the place of my most expensive hobby.  I promised my wife that when I sold my drag car, I would get into something less expensive.  Ooops!  I was good until it was time to go from a 40 horse to a 225.  Price tag on the boat and electronics blew the car and trailer right out of the water.  Best part is that my kids aren't nearly as scared of the boat as they were the Nova.  We only got to go on a couple of family cruises down by the lake.

Jmcfarland

Well the weather warmed up on Tuesday and Wednesday and we lost most if not all of that snow. The ice even started pulling away from shore some. Then Thursday and Friday were cold with a lot of wind. Its supposed to be in the 50 degree range though after today from what I seen on the 7 day forecast. As to the guys with the sore backs just think of the strength you built for setting the hook on the hawgs this summer ;) @mikeszr800- My buddies dad has a 93' T-cat 900 with some work done and was one of the fastest ice drag sleds around here in its day. The thing is pretty crazy. Another buddy of mine has the F-1000. It is flat out insane. I haven't rode it but it is pretty crazy. Another buddy has 2 mod drag sleds. There 600 and 800 ski-doos. I am a small frame guy(about 165lbs) and the bigger heavier sleds work me over pretty good in the hills. But on a trail they are a blast!!! Have thought many times also about a crotch rocket but I see that leading to expensive fines or hospital/funeral bills!!! LOL. I am hoping to get another dirtbike in the next couple years. Maybe an enduro. It would be nice to be street legal. Some of the Ktm's are pretty dirt oriented but can still be run on the roads. We'll see what happens.

bigmojet

I just sold my Ktm 525 Exc which was sreet legal last year along with my sled. Bike was a beast in the woods and on the trail.