Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 06:47:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Plano Tackle Boxes

Started by 32eml24, March 03, 2012, 11:38:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

32eml24

Going through all my tackle from last year and have had to dump so much of it because of RUST!  What causes rust buildup especially in the case with all my terminal tackle, and how can I prevent it this year?  Every penny adds up and I don't want to waste good stuff that I can make last longer.

LennyB

Never store tackle that can rust in your boat. Load it the night before and pull it when you get back home. Condensation is the culprit and it happens with temperature changes. Even in a storage locker of a top quality boat like a Ranger stored in a garage, it can and will happen. I drill small holes in my tackle boxes so air can penetrate to keep them dry, but again the #1 prevention is to always pull them from the boat when you get home and put them in the house. If they are wet, open the lids to air dry.

huston

Try little pieces of charcoal in pill container holders with holes in them. charcoal absorbs moisture. Put them all over the boat.

32eml24

Thanks a lot for the tips!  Seems like the stuff is contagious... put one rusty hook in a case and all the other ones rust!  I'll be getting out the drill this afternoon  ;D

Puma

Flambeu makes a product called "Zerust Plastabs" that you can put into each of your Plano boxes.  One tab handles a 1 foot square area.  For a $6 pack (At Bass Pro) it covered all of my boxes with hooks.  They claim they will last for two years.

LennyB

If you get a hook or component that has is starting to rust, get it out of the there. It will sped to the rest of the tackle for sure.

djkimmel

I am the poster child for rusty hooks the past couple seasons in particular. I leave my stuff in the boat and it seems like I fished in the rain a lot, and went I didn't I got water in the boat, sometimes in large quantities some other way. I didn't lug must stuff out each night - no good place to put it in my little house. There were days when I would pour water out of my boxes the next trip out. I see a lot of hook replacement and new jig pouring in my near future.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

djkimmel

OFFER NO LONGER AVAILABLE

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Barb Elliott

;D
Not to steal any thunder from the Plano boxes - I have used them and like them too..
BUT for your little off size 'special' rigging boxes - you know - the ones with a million little metal pieces in them - of course NOT all stainless - and that one time you open the box and it is just barely dripping rain - it gets WET and you forget to open/vent the boxes when you get home - USE THESE PAPER chips by VCI - they are VERY inexpensive - and they WORK - I have used them for years.....

http://www.theruststore.com/The-Inhibitor-VCI-Pro-Chips---20-pack-P254C84.aspx

I put them in ALL my boxes - have used them for years - two in the larger boxes - and they last all year - there is a place to write the date on them...so if dampness DOES sneak into your boxes - and you KNOW it will by virtue of where we play - you will be protected ...stop rust dead in its tracks - it is like a cancer - just one little speck and it can ruin a whole bunch of good tackle....
and best - they are very inexpensive!!!! and they do what they SAY they will do - transklation - you spend money for a product that works!!!  REFRESHING CHANGE EH..????

djkimmel

Yes - thanks for another great tip!

djkimmel

Fishing technology and innovation never ceases to amaze me.

OFFER NO LONGER AVAILABLE.

Skulley

And still made in the USA.    8)

BD.                            ;D
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

FishermanJohn

I leave my boxes to air dry in the house or garage overnight before I pack them away.  I also use the charcoal in a pill container trick.  Plain, dry, white rice or those little packets of silica gel that you get in new shoeboxes or electronics work great as well.  And never put a rusty hook into a box with good hooks...it sure does seem contagious!

bigjc

I use the Plano boxes with the rubber gasket, and I keep silica packs in them.  I save all them little packs in shipping packages.  But like it has already been said, once you get a bit of rust on a hook, get it the hell out of your boxes.  I keep an empty box just for those lures so that I don't have to put them back in with good lures.

Lightningboy

It took me a while to get rust prevention under control.  I don't know if a rusty hook spreads to others, or just that any hook that rusts is living within rust producing conditions.

I've got the old falcon boxes and bags.  (that was to put a finite number on how many baits I can carry; a problem all it's own)  I use the VCI chips each season.  Very dependable, and cheap.  I even throw them in my tool box.

I also make sure to open my compartments when I put the boat in the garage.  My compartments have a rubber lip seal on them.  Even if it hasn't rained, the seal is enough to cause moisture to form.

BTW- If you've got rust, use it as a chance to update all your hooks to sharp, modern designs that catch easily.  Then just prevent the rust.   ;)

FishermanJohn

Quote from: Lightningboy on April 26, 2012, 11:56:17 PM
BTW- If you've got rust, use it as a chance to update all your hooks to sharp, modern designs that catch easily.  Then just prevent the rust.   ;)

Great point!  I also like the idea of a separate box for rusted items...they usually just end up sitting in my bag or tackle compartment.

Lightningboy

I kinda have a version of a "rusted tackle" box.  I have a small tackle logic bag, the size of an I-pad.  Holds one 3650 box, and a few bags of soft plastics in a back pocket.  I call it the "working box".

Any baits I think I will be using for the day go in the working box.  It keeps me from digging through all my stuff to find a hook or lure.  Any lures that get used stay in the box to dry out.  Any hooks or hardware stay in there after getting used also.  Used hooks are OK for fun or practice, but only new for a TX.

I load the working box before each time I hit the water.  It's changed my fishing in a lot of positive ways.  Old used hooks get weeded out.  As I reload the box and put stuff way, any questionable components get swapped.

It's also saved me incredible amounts of time in a TX.  The baits I will probably need are all in one location, along with some tools like scissors, pliers, and scent.  I don't have to dig in the lockers very often, and keep my stored baits out of exposure to the elements.

I know it's not always kool to post links to other sites, but the following article really made me think hard about how I store my tackle:

http://www.bassdozer.com/articles/bassdozers-bag.shtml

KVD always preaches efficiency; taking a hard look at your tackle systems and how your manage them keeps your hardware in good shape, and reduces wasted time on the water.

bigjc

Hey Ken, where you been?  I have been working on perfecting my tackle storage system for 20 years.  I cannot tell you how many different configurations I have gone through.  My current set up uses plano 3700 boxes loose in my center box on my front deck.

As part of that set up, I use a "day box."   My day box ranges from a single 3700 to a small tackle box, depending on what my plan for the day is.

Redbone

I have three or four Plano boxes that are broke!  Anyone know how long it takes to recieve a replacement from them?  Its been years since I had to send one in.