Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 08:25:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

ANDRIOD GPS WAYPOINT APPS.....

Started by ROI Outdoors, January 23, 2012, 09:39:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ROI Outdoors

Curious if anyone has tested the accuracy of the Andriod GPS Apps?  There's a gazillion apps out there and supposedly they are as accurate as most handhelds but that remains to be seen.  Could be some pretty sick fishing Apps coming down the pipeline if they are infact as accurate as they claim.......
Luke A. Winstrom - Founder/President
Return On Investment Outdoors
luke.winstrom@roioutdoors.com
Direct Line - (616) 366-1395
Visit us Online @ www.roioutdoors.com

bob o

http://oceanlines.biz/2010/08/heres-why-you-need-an-ipad-on-the-boat/

not just you droid but your ipad should be putting alot of electrobnics to shame once someone can figure out how to intergrate it to your depth/side image unit. kind of like this, plug you transducer cable into your ipad and record the whole fishing trip with all the info you want to add to it waypoints and discriptions of what you used at each waypoint, weather the list goes on, i think it's a lot closer then we think. all it would take is an idea and a programer oh and some cash to get this rolling.

Genie

I am currently developing such an app as a module to my logbook software.  I will have more updates and GLB member deals after the testing is done.

Stay tuned!
Grand Rapids, MI
Stop Wishin' and get Fishin' with MyFishingLogs.com
http://www.myfishinglogs.com

Insanity - Doing the same thing and expecting different results.  Stop the insanity!

motocross269

My brother downloaded the GeoCaching app for his android phone...It isn't as accurate as my handheld Garmins....Signal strength in trees or bad weather was worse also...

ROI Outdoors

Quote from: Genie on January 24, 2012, 09:04:44 AM
I am currently developing such an app as a module to my logbook software.  I will have more updates and GLB member deals after the testing is done.

Stay tuned!

Get er done!

djkimmel

Quote from: motocross269 on January 24, 2012, 12:00:10 PM
My brother downloaded the GeoCaching app for his android phone...It isn't as accurate as my handheld Garmins....Signal strength in trees or bad weather was worse also...

That geocaching stuff is huge. I have one neighbor who is big into that. I'll have to ask if he has tried this yet.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Genie

Trying to get kimmel and lgmouth to beta test for me is like trying to fly to Brazil ....
Grand Rapids, MI
Stop Wishin' and get Fishin' with MyFishingLogs.com
http://www.myfishinglogs.com

Insanity - Doing the same thing and expecting different results.  Stop the insanity!

djkimmel

Not in my experience... I did finally find my handheld GPS in a place I looked probably 5 times. Now I have lost it again in the brain damage I suffered from not making it to my Brazil flight. At least I know I put it somewhere in the house this time. If the brain damage isn't permanent, I will remember where I put it one of these days.

You  should probably try to find more reliable friends!

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

ROI Outdoors

Being elgible for an upgrade with VZW I decided to go with the Stratosphere Android 4G LTE Smartphone - has a slide out keypad which is crucial for typing emails with fat fingers.  Been trying to decide if I need to spend another $200+ on a handheld and from my research so far have come up with the following........ 

The Stratosphere use 3 different Location Based Services (LBS) to triangulate your position - each one can be easily turned on/off.  Ideally you want to use both a Network Location Provider (VZW Cell Tower & Google Wi-Fi) & the standalone GPS.  Below is a brief overview of the 3 LBS options.

1. VZW Location Services:  Uses Verizon cell towers to triangulate your position, pretty accurate in areas with good signal strength, doesn't burn up battery life, speed is relative to signal strength and internet coverage speed (4G coverage areas seem to load any where from 10-30 seconds faster than 3G coverage areas).   

2. GPS:  Uses GPS satellites just like all handhelds & graphs and is the most accurate, Eats up batteries because you're turning on a separate component in the phone (basically turning your phone into a handheld) which allows for location services without having any service signal or any coverage speeds - SMOKES THROUGH BATTERY LIFE THOUGH! Will require additional batteries, extended battery, or charging capabilities while on the water. 

3. Google Location Services:  Uses a combination of IP address and wi-fi access points to determine your location.  Least accurate, but usually reasonably close, and doesn't require any additional battery use.  Internet coverage speed & signal strength affect speed and accuracy.

The Apps I've looked at so far seem to have some good features but I've yet to see anything that could be categorized as a "Weapon of Bass Destruction" - I'm counting on GENIE to come out with the Crown Jewe!  Below are some screenshots with general info. on a couple Apps that I've downloaded & have been testing.  I will be venturing out on the ice to test GPS accuracy of Apps versus a couple different handhelds over the next few days & will report back with findings...

MY FISHING COMPANION - (Lite is Free, Pro is $1.99) This Apps biggest PRO & CON seems to be it's simplicity. It allows you to set everything up before you head out giving you one-click navigation to location/weather data - with slimy fish hands this is a major bonus.  Another Plus for this one is that the Apps Developer seems eager to add/update any User suggestions; Recent Updates include Moon phase calendar, Add multiple media files including existing media to a fish, Add images to saved locations, Location Details screen added, Saved Location sharing capabilities, Media Gallery view added to Fish and Location detail screens.

FISH LOGGER PRO - (Fish Logger Lite is Free, Fish Logger Pro is $4.95) Have only played with this one for a little bit but so far it looks to capture a whole lot more of the applicable information  & have WAY more user setup preferences/options (Weather Details that include Barometric Pressure, Multiple Fisherman Options, Detail Catch Displays, Map Zoom Level, Minimum GPS Accuracy, and a whole lot more)

GENIE let me know if you need another BETA Tester or if I can help in any way - it would be cool to see BTI blow the doors off the ordeal!!!!

bob o

ROI, that is exactly what i'm looking for, now all i need is an ipad my phone would work but it's to darn small

ROI Outdoors

So far the GPS accuracy has been pretty accurate........I drilled a few holes in the rain on Friday night then marked each of them in the Apps.  Went back out there today once it stopped snowing and found every hole I marked without too much difficulty.  Accuracy seemed to be spot on but battery was almost dead after an hour of continue use.

Testing continues..........................

ROI Outdoors

SUNNY SKIES = holy schnitzel sticks batman! :o