Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 12:45:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

The Alabama Rig???

Started by dartag, October 22, 2011, 06:41:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dartag

Just watched FLW live and all the leaders are using the Alabama rig.  you can rig 5 baits on it.  would it be legal in michigan.   What will them southern boys think of next.

http://thealabamarig.com/

FishermanJohn

Don't know if it is legal here or not (I can't think of anything particular in the rules saying otherwise) but I'm imagining that thing on St. Clair after the wolfpack smallies!   ;D

bigjc

hhhmmmm, that is very interesting.  I guess its worth a try.  Could be killer on schooling fish.

Manxfishing

It's worth a try

As far as being legal
In Michigan you can fish 5 hooks on one rod
I know Ohio is 3 hooks and I think Canada is 3 as well

Well
I checked
In Michigan it's 3 lines (rods) but no more then 6 hooks total
(they count a lure or crawler harness as one hook)
So in michigan it's a legal rig

Bought one
There back order only and there not cheap

dartag

One of the guys said it was 50.00 for the rig and baits he was using.  He was using 65lb braid so he could get it back if it hung up. 

Manxfishing

With the rig alone costing 25 bucks and then there's 5 baits
You could have 5 bucks in every bait for 50 bucks

And down south
Don't they fish 65# braid on half of what they throw?

bigjc

Quote from: Manxfishing on October 23, 2011, 02:26:57 PM
And down south
Don't they fish 65# braid on half of what they throw?

Yeah, until drop shottin' became popular, many southern anglers had no use for a spinning rod.  I fished with a guy in AR, who was a guide on Bull Shoals, and he didn't even have a spinning rod in the boat. 

Dan

I just got off the phone with my Alabama brother-in-law and he's going to go to my favorite bait shop in Alabama, West End, and see if they don't have a couple of A-rigs on the shelf. He's coming up for gun season so maybe I'll have one to look at soon.
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

TCook

No way your buddy will find you any down there, no doubt everyone who carries them are sold out by now. There is already a 5 week wait through the company. Just a matter of time before there are plenty of knockoffs out there I will just have to stay patient with this one. I think Nemesis should get on top of this for us local guys. This bait is the real deal and will dominate for the next couple years when the bass are offshore chasing bait.
FISH HARD!!!

HellaBass

Quite the rig, not legal in MN and would have to reduce to 3 in WI, but interesting concept

djkimmel

It'd be confusing up here in the Great Lakes region with all varied regulations - especially on places like St. Clair and Erie. I'll probably get around to trying it eventually. I'm way behind on trying new stuff already!

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

TCook

FISH HARD!!!

Waterfoul

I for one hope this thing fades.  Or better yet... Michigan decides that it is not legal (seem like it is though).  I do not have the funds to buy these things or keep them rigged.  $50 a crack fully rigged?!?!?!?!?  No way am I paying that.  Then there's the sad fact that I could never throw this heavy bait for more than a short amount of time.  Thanks to a stroke and arthritis in both hands there is no way I could do it.

Call it selfish, but that's how I feel about the Alabama Rig.

We'll wait to see if BASS and FLW continue to allow anglers to use them in their tournaments.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

dartag

I can't see cost being an issue.  Look at what luckycraft baits or swimbaits cost.  check out  Brians Prop Bee - $27.75 each.   Those with $$ will have them.

Manxfishing

It's interesting that at first I thought the benefit was its rig for catching schooling fish
And maybe multiple fish

After reading the article
Most of the guys throwing the rig thought the benefit was
Big bass were conditioned not to hit or chase single baits for the reason of being caught
But they would hit schools of fish (the rig). It's some thing that they haven't seen yet

It will be interesting to see if it's banned or the fish become conditioned not to hit the rig

Cost wise, I don't see it has a issue if it catches fish
But throwing a 3-5 oz rig will detour a few folks

Waterfoul

those of you who dont think it's espensive must have more disposable income than I do.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

djkimmel

Depends on what types of water you fish most often and what level of tournament competition you are in too.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

TCook

Sounds like most pros were throwing it on 65-80lb braid and the hooks would bend before the braid would break when snagged. In this case you would never lose the rig therefore it would not be expensive in the long run. Not to mention I think most scenarios the rig would work is on suspended fish in open deep water where snags are very unlikely. Would be more expensive to throw tube jigs for a weekend on St Clair or Erie.
FISH HARD!!!

dartag

Bet there are a lot of copies being made today.  Kind of like Biffle hard head.   Think i will order some stainless wire and swivels. 

thedude

theres dudes on BBC trying to get 100$-200$ a pop for one of them. lol
West Michigan Bass www.westmichiganbass.com
Palehorse Custom Rods