Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 02:07:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Belated Burt/Mullet report

Started by Firefighter Jeff, October 18, 2011, 10:39:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

djkimmel

Naw... you should just stay on Burt! Leave Mullett for me!! ;D

It's hard to boat faster if the locals are putting through the Indian River. It vexes them a lot even though the rule is (or was last time I went through there) that you can move pretty fast just not get on plane. That's the last definition I got from the local sheriff water patrol. I would double-check things haven't changed before taking my word for it though since I haven't made my call to them for updates since my last tournament season up there several years ago.

Mullett is a much better lake if you make specific casts on many days to specific targets. Once you get the depth, you just go from target to target and you can often catch a lot more bass than people who are just fishing the usual stuff. It sounds like you didn't find the real good spot either. That's okay. I'd have to shoot Don (just kidding Don, not really, maybe) and it is more fun if you still have things to look forward to, and earn them a little. We all like to catch bass, but for me anyway, I get more satisfaction when I figure it out more on my own.

There are good parts of the lake I rarely fish just because that leaves me something possibly new to discover when I get around to it. I like learning more and new things from fishing. That's the part of tournaments I always liked.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Firefighter Jeff

Quote from: djkimmel on October 22, 2011, 06:47:25 PM
It sounds like you didn't find the real good spot either. That's okay. I'd have to shoot Don (just kidding Don, not really, maybe) and it is more fun if you still have things to look forward to, and earn them a little. We all like to catch bass, but for me anyway, I get more satisfaction when I figure it out more on my own.

There are good parts of the lake I rarely fish just because that leaves me something possibly new to discover when I get around to it. I like learning more and new things from fishing. That's the part of tournaments I always liked.

Screw that  !!!!   Your opinion is fine for you, I don't necessarily agree. Ok, I have to admit, It was satisfying that I found those fish on my own.  I even mentioned it to my wife on the trip.  But when I only make it to Indiana River once a year and spend a lot of money (over $1,100, ok we ate out a lot.) dragging a boat 5 1/2 hours, fishing 16,000 acre lakes, I wanna catch fish. 
   Just because someone gives you a spot to try doesn't mean you automatically will catch them.  Only that it's a good spot if the fish are there, conditions are right and they are willing to bite.  I don't have a problem with that.  Don helped me catch a few fish. Not as big as he caught during the tourneys, or numbers but a few decent fish.  I appreciate the help, and will return the favor if ever possible. 
   I'm a minority member of this site.  Other than the DK Opens I rarely if ever compete in tournaments.  I fun fish, and catching is fun.  :)

djkimmel

There's quite a few more non- or barely- tournament anglers on here now than ever. Your minority isn't that small.

It can be nice to just be given a spot but in the long run it's nicer to find them. I've given people spots and they still don't find them. I've been give spots and haven't found them. I've given spots to people I thought were so-so and they win the tournament while the spot I thought was better didn't do much. Still gotta fish and things change all the time, day-to-day, hour-to-hour. Even minute-to-minute.

I think we all approach and fish things a little differently so some spots just won't work the same for one angler as they do for another. I know Don mentioned other anglers fished his winning hot spot and left while he fished it and won the tournament. Sometimes, it works better just to find out what the lake is about as far as dominant cover, general water quality and forage, and use that knowledge to come up with an approach that fits the way you like to fish.

Some pro anglers have that down to a science. And some are just given good spots. I think the first type of pro anglers generally are the ones who are more consistent over the season than the second type of angler.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Firefighter Jeff

Quote from: djkimmel on October 23, 2011, 07:48:11 PM
There's quite a few more non- or barely- tournament anglers on here now than ever. Your minority isn't that small.

It can be nice to just be given a spot but in the long run it's nicer to find them. I've given people spots and they still don't find them. I've been give spots and haven't found them. I've given spots to people I thought were so-so and they win the tournament while the spot I thought was better didn't do much. Still gotta fish and things change all the time, day-to-day, hour-to-hour. Even minute-to-minute.

I think we all approach and fish things a little differently so some spots just won't work the same for one angler as they do for another. I know Don mentioned other anglers fished his winning hot spot and left while he fished it and won the tournament. Sometimes, it works better just to find out what the lake is about as far as dominant cover, general water quality and forage, and use that knowledge to come up with an approach that fits the way you like to fish.

Some pro anglers have that down to a science. And some are just given good spots. I think the first type of pro anglers generally are the ones who are more consistent over the season than the second type of angler.

I agree.   :)

LGMOUTH

Great report Jeff. Im glad you found them.
When you are in any contest you should work as if there whereto the very last minute a chance to loose it.

Firefighter Jeff

Quote from: LGMOUTH on October 24, 2011, 08:30:02 PM
Great report Jeff. Im glad you found them.

Thanks Don, but I feel like you did at the DK Fall Open........ how do I get back up there !!!!  Wish it wasn't so far for me.    :-\'

djkimmel

I feel that way several days a week all year!! And there are other lakes I have the same feelings about most weeks too! I think I might have a problem...

Firefighter Jeff

Quote from: djkimmel on November 03, 2011, 12:15:32 AM
I feel that way several days a week all year!! And there are other lakes I have the same feelings about most weeks too! I think I might have a problem...

I think a lot of us do.  :)