Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 05:25:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Nate Wellman

Started by champion_206, September 02, 2011, 10:48:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

motocross269

It looks like he has been banned from FLW events for a year....

djkimmel

These rest of 2011 and all of 2012. He can request a reconsideration at that time. It's hard to get off their list once you're on it.

http://www.flwoutdoors.com/fishing-articles/152853/flw-outdoors-clarifies-wellman-suspension/

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Roy Randolph

This is a sad situation, the truth of it is that this will hurt each and every one of us once it's all said and done.

I was ready to post my "opinion" on this angler and the situation but a good friend pointed out that I'm doing nothing to help resolve the issue and maybe doing more harm than good and I'd like to pass on this wisdom.

I don't know what sponsors he has but what if they are your sponsor as well and they decide its time to call it quits and you know any company that looks at this is going to rethink their support for tournament fishing. Especially when they see all the posts and talk from all of us rehashing this and other stories.

Not to mention how many anglers are going to say enough is enough and give up tournament fishing as well as potential new anglers that see this as a good reason not to fish that first tournament.

Now these anglers won't be paying entry fees or buying a new boat/rod/reel because they won't be participating in tournaments and realize they can make do with what they have.

Reality is one man's mistake/greed/stupidity is going to ripple out across the industry and results in thousands maybe millions of dollars lost.

I'm not saying we need to keep this on the down low but the uglier this gets the more it hurts all of us.

I know this forum has more level headed visitor than most and this should be posted in these other forums but I don't post in these other forums anymore and hope that these thoughts trickle down to them.
Help a handicapped angler live his dream!

1javelin

I bet if this happened in the South he would have been swimming back to shore while his co-angler drove the boat to care for his bleeding knuckles.

I do agree with you Roy, but I disagree with the punishment.  Cheating is cheating, and if he was truly only commenting on how good of a day his partner was having, he would have said that.  He would have asked for some specifics, a color, a bait.  He wouldn't have mentioned buying his fish.  I think rules need to be rules, and punishments in this case need to let others know what they can expect if they try something like this.

1jav
Live to fish, Fish to live.

Anthony Adams

Do we really know he cheated or just had poor Judgment?

Do we really know what was said? Has Nate given his side of the story?

How do we know it wasn't something like this.

Man thats a nice fish I wish I had that on my stringer. Hell I'd even pay $1000 bucks for a fish like that now. (in a joking voice) Wow I can't believe you caught another nice fish and I just can't seem to get the big bite I need.

For those of you who have fished draw tournmanets can you honestly say you've never looked at a co-anglers or boaters catch and made a comment like "nice fish I wish I had that on my stringer."

He truly may just be talking out of frustration in an innocent manor. Not realizing how it sounded. His co-angler maybe over reacting, ticked off about something else or just trying to make a name for himself.  We really don't know what happend.

I comend Nate for not denying it. This to me makes me want to believe he was truly joking and somethings were taken out of context.

I heard that Nate was going to be on the Radio on Monday telling his side of the story. I am curious to hear what he has to say.

I know one thing ---- I wouldn't stand by and let someone smear my name if I were innocent or truly joking.

Let's see if Nate stands up for himself.

Anthony Adams - As your director I believe in promoting the enjoyment of fishing to all. I encourage good sportsmanship and preserving of natural resources. I strongly encourage all individuals regardless of age, race, or gender to be more involved in the world of fishing

Anthony Adams

I tend to believe that Bass felt it was taken out of context but it is obvious what he said was inappropriate. Yet the fact he said it and they knew there would be some controversy meant they had to take action. So the action needed to fit the crime. 

The fact that Bass did not make a bigger deal out of it make me think it is not what many are making it out to be.

All I can say is I hope for his sake as well as the future of our sport that's all it really is.
Anthony Adams - As your director I believe in promoting the enjoyment of fishing to all. I encourage good sportsmanship and preserving of natural resources. I strongly encourage all individuals regardless of age, race, or gender to be more involved in the world of fishing

LennyB

I don't have a problem with him telling his partner he has a great fish and he wishes it was on his stringer, it's the part about going out into the lake were no one can see to exchange it, and his dad paying him a $1000 when they get back to the ramp.
Just my 2cents

Anthony Adams

How do you know he really said that is my point?

Just because his co-angler said that doesn't mean its true.

Nates never said what he actualy said just that things were said in jest in a joking manor that were taken by his co-angler another way.

TCook

Anthony sounds like you need to do some more reading. From the Co-angler himself:

"I was the co-angler that was propositioned by Nate on the final day of the BASS open in Sandusky.
I wish none of this would have happened and to be quite honest I feel bad for Nate.I think he made a terrible mistake once he started thinking about not making the Classic. I don't know Nate, but aside from the offer I enjoyed the beginning of the day with him. I told Nate that I would net my own fish so he could have more time to fish. I knew what was at stake for this young man and I didn't want to do anything to ruin his chances. I also know that when he said " he would give me a thousand dollars for my fish" and that "his dad walks around with one to three thousand dollars cash in his pocket and we could meet up with his dad after the weigh in to take care of it" and the fact that he said" he would drive me out to the middle of ...the lake to transfer the fish to his live well so that no one would see" was not a JOKE! Why would you say a "joke" to a person you have known for about three hours of this magnitude? I know some of you believe what Nate did was harmless and he was truly joking. That is your right and I am just trying to let you know what really happened. I myself would never joke about something this important to a person I barely know.The people that know me have stood up for me as you would expect them to. It is the others that believe what I have said and know I had nothing to gain by telling this that have commented on what I did.There are also people calling me names and saying what is said in the boat stays in the boat...REALLY? What type of people are there out there that would let somebody try to cheat in a sport that we all love? I wonder what those people would be calling me if I had taken the money and then BASS found out? I did what was right in my mind PERIOD.Believe what you want. That is one of the greatest things about the country we live in. Another question that has been brought up is, Why didn't I say something right away? The answer as far as saying something right away, I dropped the ball. Truth be told, I was scared. I didn't know what to do and with 150 or so people out watching us weigh in, I was afraid.Sorry I don't have better answers than this, but that's the truth. So keep hating on me and telling what you would have or have not done. Until you are in a similar situation, do you really know what you would do? As for me. I can wake up every morning and look in the mirror and know I did what was right and I have. By the way if you want to ask me questions or call me a "tool" a "dick" or a "snitch" you now have my facebook address.
Sincerely,
Joe Stois Sr."

Now ask yourself what does Joe have to gain by making this story up? Use some commen sense, the coangler is telling the complete truth no doubt about it!

FISH HARD!!!

Anthony Adams

I've read it but I am not quick to convict someone based on what someone said.

I'm curiously waiting for Nate to tell his side of the story.

I'd like to believe it was harmless talk.

If his co-angler truly believed Nate was trying to cheat he should have gave him the fish took the $1000 then turned it all over to Bass so they could convict him.

Thats what I would do... I'd make sure a cheater did not get a way with it.

But instead we have a he said she said situation. That the co-angler waited until later that night before saying anything.

Why did he wait?

Is it possible he was upset about his day 3 finish?

I found this in an article on bass fan that just came out.

Of particular interest is that Wellman said a cameraman was in the boat for the first part of the morning and captured on tape the fish in question – more evidence that he was joking and not serious about purchasing the fish, he said.

"I can't quote myself," Wellman told BassFan, after stating that he's barely slept or eaten for days. "The amount of emotion going through my body at that time, and the feelings I had and the thoughts going through my head, I can't even explain it. I just can't. I had lows, I had highs – just everything. You're constantly thinking about what the other guys have got, you're thinking 'It's tough on me, it must be tough on them,' then you miss a fish and you dwell on that. Everything changed mentally so much throughout the day it's just hard to put it back together.

Bass Responded with....

B.A.S.S. ownership partner Jerry McKinnis told BassFan that a committee determined the Wellman penalty and the situation differed from other recent DQ scenarios because "In those cases we knew exactly what happened – the people involved admitted to making an honest mistake and there was no mystery there. We don't have that here, and there's a very good chance that we've missed the boat. But also, there's a chance that the guy (Wellman) wasn't guilty. There's a question as to what occurred."

Was it on Camera? ---- That explains why it's not being taken so harshly.

See the full article here..

http://www.bassfan.com/news_article.asp?ID=4058

Anthony Adams

Even Bass who has the full story from both sides isn't sure enough to DQ him.

Why are so many so sure he cheated?

I firmly believe you owe it to a person to give them the benifit of the doubt until such evidence is out that shows proof of guilt.

TCook

Ok say Joe agrees and gives wellman his fish how do you prove it was Joes fish? He wouldnt of gotten paid until after the weigh in and he would look just as guilty if he took that road. Wellman had everything to gain by this proposition 50k and a classic berth, the Co had nothing to gain but all this bulls**t he is going through now. As for waiting to hear what wellman has to say its obvious why you are still waiting. The only defense he has is he was joking, how would he explain offering his fathers money and exchanging fish in the middle of the lake and bringing this up 4 times throughout the day? He cant because that would go against his "joking" defense which is why we are not getting his side of the story.
FISH HARD!!!

dartag

wonder how much legal talk went on between his lawyer and BASS.  Since both have issued statements it seems the case is closed.  Should be interesting to watch the classic coverage when this will come up again. 

At least this one did not make the national news.  Last year when the guy got caught putting weights in fish a lot of people at work and friends asked me if I did that. 

Anthony Adams

Tim I'm not saying he's innocent or guilty. I just do not take what one person says as the gospel truth. We don't have the full story BASS does and even thier not 100% sure what happend.

As for how would you prove it's your fish? The fish was caught on camera and so were the words in question.

If you were going to cheat would you do it when the camera was rolling?

Something doesn't make sense to me and thats why I question.

What's sad to me is that so many people are so quick to judge before we've heard the entire story. Maybe more will come out maybe it won't.

I have high hopes that BASS will act accordingly.

dominater

What concerns me is that Nate has not denied any of what his co-angler reported. I would have expected Nate to refute the part about planning to go to the middle of the lake, or about the amount of money his dad had on him to square up.

Instead, his defense has been something to the extent of, "it was the heat of the moment, i'm not sure what I said but whatever I said, I didn't mean it.  I may have said it twice, or ten times, I'm not sure exactly what I said.  It might have sounded serious, because it was the heat of the moment, but I meant it in a joking way."

He sounds pretty guilty to me...

Mini

Anyone read Nates statement on this? Why did his story change? Originally said it was a joke....made in jest.

His statement has no mention of a joke....NONE.

Bass Boat Central has plenty to read, lots from friends of the Co AND the guy he called immediately after weighing in.This person MADE HIM report it. Even gave him the number of the TD.....

Every single person that knows the Co is standing up for him. I have only read ONE SINGLE person stand up for Nate. And if you have ever fished against him locally I think you would see the writing on the wall.

In my mind...GUILTY. Hid day 3 catch should have been eliminated, thus stripping him of the title and letting the deserved man go to the Classic.

Mini

Scott: polygraph needed 9/8/2011

Lots of BassFans have been hoping to get B.A.S.S. founder Ray Scott's take on the Erie Bassmaster Northern Open imbroglio involving winner Nate Wellman and his alleged offer to purchase a fish from his co-angler on the final day of that event. Wellman, who claimed that any comments made along those lines were in jest, was fined $2,500 and placed on 1-year probation by B.A.S.S., but allowed to retain the victory and the accompanying 2012 Bassmaster Classic berth.

Scott issued the following statement to BassFan today:

"For those who have been around B.A.S.S. and know our history of tournaments, there is a process clearly identified in Rule 3 (B.A.S.S. Tournament Rules) that deals with infractions like this. When two anglers are in the middle of the lake and it becomes a question of who said what or what took place, you call on the polygraph. A polygraph is the only means at our disposal to clarify and resolve this matter.

"I would hope Mr. Wellman would recognize the criticality of what is at risk now – the perception of dishonesty in bass fishing tournaments and, more importantly, the integrity of every angler around the world. B.A.S.S. has rules that deal with sportsmanship and nothing stands to suffer more from this incident than the honor and veracity of all anglers. Even though B.A.S.S. opted for another course of action, they can still direct a polygraph.

"This isn't going to go away and the stigma will continue to hang over our heads until Mr. Wellman is either exonerated or held accountable. With all the speculation that is going on, the right thing for Mr. Wellman to do would be to contact B.A.S.S. and insist that they give him a polygraph. If he doesn't put this issue to rest beyond any reasonable doubt, B.A.S.S. and the bass-fishing community will forever hold him suspect in any tournament he attempts to enter."

Truer words have never been spoken and if you or I (no matter who you are) were accused of any form of cheating at that level, I would be screaming for a polygraph! Its in the darn rules!

Mini

Elite Series Pro Nate Wellman issued the following statement today:

I regret the statements that I made to my co-angler during the Bass Pro Shops, Bassmaster Northern Open on Lake Erie Aug 25-27 2011.   While I never intended for my statements to be anything more than an expression of my envy for his performance that day, looking back I can understand now why my co-angler would have misinterpreted my statements.   My statements were wrong and should never have been made.

To be perfectly clear - I am not a cheater.  I've never cheated in the past and will never do so in the future.   I've dedicated my entire adult life to bass fishing, the sport that I love and no amount of money in the world is worth jeopardizing my career that I've spent my life working for.  I am an accomplished angler and am confident about my future.  Simply stated, I have no reason to cheat and would never tarnish my accomplishments nor compromise my future by cheating.  I respect myself, my family, my sponsors and my sport way to much to bring it all down by cheating.

I apologize to everyone for my mistake, including B.A.S.S. and my co-angler for putting them in such an awkward position. Also a sincere apology to the fans of fishing for it was not my intention to tarnish the integrity of the sport.

Revtro

This is only conjecture, but in a case where it's one person's word against another, there can be no real "proof" as would be required by a court in a criminal case.  In such an instance, no one but the parties involved can ever really know what was said.  So yes, a polygraph might help, although their not perfect either.  So there will always be doubt about this.

Another thing that has not been brought up is the possibility of the co-angler making this up.  No I'm not saying he did and would never make such an accusation.  BUT, what if (just IF) something else occurred on the water that day to give the co-angler motivation to say something to harm Nate?  It does happen in our world.  Unfortunately we'll never know will we?  We can't unless someone got it on tape, witnessed it first hand, or had a secret recording device hidden in the guy's dash.  So if BASS would have DQ'd him for this, they'd have had to do so without tangible physical evidence of the "crime".  They did not have this.  So all they could do with their level of "proof" was fine him, probably because they think he did cheat and in case it's true to discourage him from ever doing this again.  But in my opinion (yes, it's just an opinion), since there was no proof, they shouldn't have done anything.  In America, one is assumed innocent until PROVEN guilty based on a preponderance of evidence.  Obviously in this case, there was no preponderance of evidence, or they'd have DQ'd him and/or banned him.  But they couldn't.  Obviously they felt there was enough legitimacy to believe he was guilty, but that's a far cry from actual proof.  

The other possibility is that they were limited in their action due to the co-angler missing the deadline for reporting this transgression.  But even if he had reported it by the deadline, according to every article I've read, there still isn't tangible physical proof, just one man's word against another.  Believe Wellman or not, in our great country, a person is only guilty if there is real proof, not a mere accusation.  So in my humble opinion, BASS could only do what they did...or nothing at all.  Had he been stripped of his title or been banned, I think he'd have a legitimate case for legal action against BASS.  And for the record, I truly hope this never happened and it was just a miscommunication.  I think we all hope for that.
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

Eric

Quote from: Revtro on September 08, 2011, 10:09:07 PM

Another thing that has not been brought up is the possibility of the co-angler making this up.  No

And Nate admitting he said what the co-angler made up????????????????
www.ReelResponseSolutions.com
www.BassinWithEric.com