Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 12:52:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Independence lake tomorrow

Started by YpsiBass, August 26, 2011, 06:01:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YpsiBass

Provided it doesn't rain tomorrow, think I'm going to head over to Independence Lake in the afternoon.  No gas motors over 6hp on this lake so if anyone is interested sitting front seat in my little jon, shoot me a PM or reply.

djkimmel

I'd like to hear how you do. I haven't fished it yet. They originally stocked smallies in it but I've heard they got beat up pretty good the first few years of its existence. Should be some largemouth and panfish. Maybe a few smallies left?

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

YpsiBass

Have been fishing Independence Lake for about 5 years now, but never caught a smallie.  When I went there earlier this year, the weeds were just starting to come in, but it looks like they either dredged the weeds out or had a chemical kill.  All the nice weedy spots are gone and with them the fish seemed to have disappeared as well.  Add that to the brisk winds and my jon couldn't keep up today.  All in all very disappointing.

djkimmel

Bummer. I haven't heard they are doing any weed treatment, but they may be. This time of year, some weeds just die out too. I'm more likely to believe that because of the tight budgets.

I was told that most or all of the smallies were caught out because they were very aggressive in the lake - not really their type of habitat. I know the first few seasons after they were stocked, people caught a bunch of them - my neighbors told me they caught 16 keepers one afternoon. They did release all of them. Sounds like maybe the smallies petered out.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

YpsiBass

I don't remember the weeds dying out like that in years past, but maybe the heat this summer? I don't know.  There are some MONSTER green sunfish in the lake, usually catch my limit of keeper largemouth (and release), and a lot of pike (usually between 20"-30").  It was just weird because there were NONE of the weeds I'm used to seeing on the lake in all the places they should be.  I saw a few of them back by the launch, but even all the weeds around the cat tails were very sparse.

Ah well, probably going to sell my little boat next year and try to move up to a bigger boat (that won't be able to get on the lake).

djkimmel

That's good and bad. I like the big lakes and the little lakes. Maybe someone did treat the little lake? Kind of strange they would. Could be someone had a grant or some urban fisheries money to spend? I have actually heard many reports this year about weeds being either a lot heavier or a lot more sparse on many lakes which makes me more suspicious that Mother Nature is to blame.

If someone recently treated that little lake, it could explain why the fishing is a little off. Or maybe we can just blame it on Irene?!? ;D