Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 09:50:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Peele Island

Started by StarBoard7, August 13, 2011, 04:12:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StarBoard7

Hey guys,

Thinking about making my first trip up to peele island next weekend (weather permitting).

I was looking for a little info.

I have a 96 Ranger with a 200hp it has 2 15 gallon gas tanks on it...I was wondering if other guys with similar bass boats are able to make the trip there and back on 30 gal or if there is a spot that guys stop to fill up somewhere?

Also what is the prefered wind direction to run out to Peele in and back?
Any tips on what or what not to do are really aprreciated on this ..I do have somw exp but mostly just running from Mazurik launch ramp to kelleys.

Lastly I am not looking for any specific spots but any tips on how to go about tackling such a big island would be appreciated like are there any general areas that are more productive............ or any areas I should stay away from when smallie fishing.

Thanks guys any info is really appreciated.

djkimmel

I've only been there a few times and never really got into them. Mostly on the East side. No wind is the best in my opinion ;D but you have to really watch a strong East and be careful about a strong West if you come out from the East side and didn't expect it to be rough. Been a number of years for me so I'm not sure about gas. There are marinas on the North side of South Bass Island. Maybe someone else can help about gas.

If it is fairly rough out, you'll burn a lot more gas so really think about going. If it is fairly calm you'll make it farther and should be okay if you run at a medium speed for maximum gas mileage. Is your motor a 96 or one of the newer more efficient models?

Pick a major structure at the island and concentrate on that maybe. It's a huge island. Huge. No way to fish it all in several days even.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

bigjc

best thing to do for your first trip is to drive to Catawba: that way you have a short run out to Pelee, and if it gets rough you can tuck in along the bass islands.  Its cheaper to run in the truck.  If you are leaving out of Lake Erie Metro or Elizabeth Park, you can stop for fuel in Coldchester, along the North shore.

StarBoard7

Thanks guys,

Is it actually faster to launch from catawba or Mazurik when heading to Peele.
Never launched out of Catawba however I did notice on the map it seemed a little closer when heading over to South/Middle/North Islands is it significant enough for me to starting launching from there guys since that is usually where I fish?

I never really fish Kelley's at all which seems to be what most people use Mazurik for but I just didn't think that Catawba was significantly closer to the Bass Islands/Peele.

If this is the case it would be great to know.

Thanks for any more info guys.