Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 02:04:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

180 mph power boat on Muskegon lake today.

Started by Mike S., June 17, 2011, 10:03:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike S.

So, the mechanic and I are calling it a day and heading in, after diagnosing my boat problems. We get into Fisherman's Landing, and thee is this behemoth of a boat, on its side, on a trailer. It's enormous. The boat is a 41 foot Skater, which is a catamaran style boat. It is awesome, and drawing quite the crowd. They get the boat leveled out, and ready to launch. Oh man, my heart is pounding with the anticipation of hearing this animal come to life.  Being the gear head I am, I walk right up to the owner at the dock, after the launch, and strike up a conversation.  This boat has 2 motors......that make 1,750 horsepower EACH!!!!!!   AWESOME!!!!!    The owner tells me that the boat does 180, and then his driver, who races powerboats professionally, shows up.

He fires engine 1.  The docks are shaking, I am in my glory. Then, engine 2.  Yesssss!!!!  This beast is barking through the exhaust. I smile at him and give a thumbs up. He nods, hits a switch, and the exhaust opens up, and it is like standing by a top fuel dragster.

I begged to go along for the shakedpwn passes on Muskegon,before he heads to the big lake. But, he wasn't really in to taking some guy off the dock for a joy ride. Well, here are the pics I took. Too bad you can't enjoy it like I did.

Firefighter Jeff

Awesome post Mike  !!!!  Thanks for sharing.  :)

Mike S.

The owner also informed me that it cost him almost $4000 to fill it with 118 octane gas. He said that if  the boat runs right, he will have the tanks empty by dark. That was only a few hours away at the time I talked to him.  Must be nice to be loaded.

djkimmel

Where the heck did he get 118 octane gas? The airport?

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Mike S.

I don't know where he filled up. I used to buy it just down the road from my house, at Brenner Oil, for my car when I was going racing. 

mikesmiph

I was wondering, what kind of trolling motor it had on it? How big are the livewells? Must be a little hard getting into some of the channels. I mean, the only good use of a boat is to fish, RIGHT?

dartag

We were in Key West last year when the Offshore Powerboat Championships were there.  There were race boats and a lot of pleasure boats there that size.  You could stand on the pier and they would go by at 150-175 mpg. The sound was unreal.   Took these photos.  One race boat and a center console with 5--350 Verodos.  I like the 20 inch Radar and GPS screens.

No trolling motors though.

thedude

IMHO - a better place for a boat like that would be the bottom of muskegon lake.
West Michigan Bass www.westmichiganbass.com
Palehorse Custom Rods

djkimmel

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

VinceR

I actually enjoy offshore racing. I really believe that if I didn't bass fish (some might say that I don't), I would probably race in one of the "stock" factory classes.

Mike S.

I'm not picky. Anything with insane amounts of horsepower is cool. Offshore racing, and the boats that are really made for it, but people use them as "pleasure boats", is good stuff. If I was loaded, I'd have one of those boats for sure.70 on water is getting it.  170?  That is just insane!

Eric

Since clearly none of us care about the rich guy trying to compensate for having a small something or other, tell us the important stuff.  What did the mecahnic say about your motor?
www.ReelResponseSolutions.com
www.BassinWithEric.com

djkimmel

170mph is insane. I've seen what happens when they flip!! Can you say 'toothpicks!!'

bigjc

Yeah, does anyone remember the photo that went around the internet, of the bass boat driver in the ER with a 4' tree stump, two feet up his...well you know.  He was way back up some resevoir going to fast and got launched.