Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 11:25:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Ford Lake

Started by YpsiBass, May 26, 2011, 11:26:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

YpsiBass

New guy, new post.  Found this forum at some point in the spring and just now registered.  I've been searching past posts for Ford Lake, but every post related seems 3+ years old.  I recently moved to Ypsi township and this lake is like a 3 minute drive so I feel like I'll be doing a lot of fishing here now. 

I've been out about 3 or 4 times now, but because I'm just running a 14' jon with a trolling motor, I can't get all the way west in the lake.  Wondered if anyone knew where some good spots to hit were, spring/summer/fall etc.  I've been doing ok fishing shorelines, but I'm concerned about cover.  I haven't seen any weedlines and while I realize it's still early, I'm wondering where the bigger fish are hanging out.  Haven't caught a smallie over 13" yet.  Mostly fishing topwater because it seems that's the only thing I've got hits on.  Not really into fishing live bait.  Been catching a few on the points around the lake in 5' of water casting from the 20' area, about 30 yards off shore. 

I know that Breaking Water has a tournament on Ford Lake on Monday nights, but I doubt I'd be able to fish that with my setup.  I was able to get my boat to the island on the west side and that flat area looks to be decent in the summer if some bottom weeds can grow in.  I realize this post is all over the place, but any tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated.

LAPORTE

First off welcome to the site. You will find allot of great people here that will be willing to help out.

Now to Ford lake. It sucks !!!!!!!  I'm not kidding I know the guy that runs the Monday night tourneys out there he is good peps as well. Last year when they would have around 10 boats usually a single fish would win it... if not just 2 would. Belleville fishes better and has better numbers. You might try launching on Rawsonville DNR ramp and fishing the upper end early in the year and closer to Sandy's later in the season.

Shoot me a PM if you want to ride along I usually fish Belleville about 3 times a week.

Again Welcome to GLB  ;D

2008 Skeeter 20I " Thanks Robin"

YpsiBass

Do I need a different permit to park/launch from the Rawsonville DNR ramp? 

fiker

If it's a DNR launch you'll need either a license plate with the passport P on the tag, or you'll need a sticker.
So much water.  So many lures.  So little time.

Member of  Downriver Bass Association

www.buildwithmomentum.com 734.649.9390

Bender

I think that Ford is the only lake in Michigan where I never want to fish again. I fished it for 2 1/2 days and had 2 or 3 keepers the whole time, then whacked my prop on some rocks just to add insult to injury. I have heard third hand of some guy who likes the lake though. There is all kinds of structure in there, I'm not sure why the fishing sucks. I found three cars and a sunken bridge out there. Never caught any fish off any of them though.

If you are that close to Ford then you should be pretty close to Belleville too, which is a lot better. With just an electric motor I'd launch at Rawsonville like LAPORTE said. You can fish around there and up the river too.
- Chris
www.nemesisbaits.com

YpsiBass

If we get some low wind days this weekend I think I'm going to head out there and see what I can see.  It looks pretty shallow on the west side judging by the DNR map.

Skulley

The fishing doesn't suck as bad on Ford as some of these guys will lead you to believe.  I have fished out there for years and have learned the lake.  I don't go there or even to Belleville as often as I used to because the mysteries of St. Clair and Erie keep me going back there because the fishing is way better than anywhere else.  Now back to Ford Lake.  It is a tough lake to fish.  I spent many a day out there getting skunked but have learned enough about the lake where I can catch quality fish.  The fellas on the sight are right......Belleville does fish better however there are certain areas that hold quality fish year round.  It is a good lake in the early spring into June but when the dog days of summer hit, it gets tough.  In the fall, it can be a tough lake to beat as well as Belleville.  Both lakes fish real good in the fall.  I have had some stellar days out there in the fall when the water temp in the low 50's.  Belleville is not much different.  It fishes very well up until the dog days of summer and then it gets tough until September as the water starts cooling.  It then can be a stellar lake especially as the water temps drop into the 50's.  In the fall, the crankbait bite is on specifically chrome rattle traps.  The sunnier and windier it is in the fall the better the lake fishes.  The fish are up on the flats and the south shore of the lake can be tough to beat.  You are doing the right thing going out and learning but you will have some good days and bad days out there however any day you can go fishing is always a good day......even if you don't catch much.  You are limited to where you can go with a jon boat and a trolling motor but it shouldn't stop you.  Good luck and we'll see you on the water.

BD                                   ;D
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

YpsiBass

So there's a DNR ramp for Belleville lake on Rawsonville Rd AND Huron River Dr?

LAPORTE

Yes there is 2 of them ....also Sandys marina at the east end of the river by the dam as well has a launch

Skulley

The DNR ramp at Rawsonville Road is always open but the DNR on Huron River Drive opens at 0700 and closes at 2200 hours.  So if you want to get on early and stay late the Rawsonville Road ramp is your best option.  The Huron River ramp although a DNR ramp is operated by Sandy's Marina.........at least it was years back and it still may be operated by Sandy's.  That is why they have the hours that they have.

BD                          ;D

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

LAPORTE

Sandys and the DNR parted ways 2 seasons ago.

The Belleville ramp remains open around the clock. Its been quite some time since I seen it last closed. They (DNR) also tore down the old bathrooms are are in the middle of replacing them with new ones.

Keep in mind though the river channel runs close to the ramp. Also the water is quite deeper at this end of the lake compared to the upper end.

YpsiBass

Quote from: LAPORTE on May 27, 2011, 12:11:09 PM
Keep in mind though the river channel runs close to the ramp. Also the water is quite deeper at this end of the lake compared to the upper end.

Is one part of the lake better for early summer than the other?  I drove by both launches earlier today and the east side looks calmer as far as current goes, but looking at maps, the west side is really shallow.  How is non-fishing activity on belleville? Nothing ruins fishing like waterskiing/jetskiing...

Skulley

Like any lake, Belleville has a number of jet skiers and during the dog days of summer especially on the weekend, it can get crazy.  Usually early in the morning and late afternoon are best.  Also during the week can be the time to fish.  Not as busy through the week.  Evenings can get crazy.  There is a bass tournament that goes out of the east DNR launch on Tuesdays.  That's a pretty good trail.  I used to fish it a few years back, but haven't because it is very difficult for me to get to during the week.  It blasts off at 5pm.

BD                            ;D

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

matt

I fish Ford and Belleville just about every weekend I can get out. They are by far some of the most difficult lakes to learn.

I just pulled in 6 nice keepers today out of Belleville's river system.They are in there...I got a buddy who can prove it too.He's had 100+ smallmouth days.if you asked me it has a healthy population of smallmouths and walleyes from my experience.You got to know where to look,the pattern is never the same pattern each year. This is why people hate these lakes.It gets frustrating to say the least.

I live in canton....so I'm real close to you,15-20 minutes.I fish shorelines....if you are new around these parts I can try to help and show you some previous spots I did well at.But nothing is guaranteed.   

I'm a bit wary of giving away my spots,took me 8 years of learning curves and mistakes.

I work afternoons(plus a lot of weekends) and do not fish tournaments either.....I wouldn't be able to find the time if i tried.So much of my fishing is done in relaxation and enjoyment.If you want to meet up one day just to talk and get to know each other.Always happy to talk to other anglers who share my Bass fishing passion.

Skulley

One more thing I forgot to mention Ellipsis.  Welcome to the forum.  We're glad you're here.

BD                             ;D

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

YpsiBass

Thanks for the offer to meet up Matt and the welcome Bigdog. 

matt

Yup anytime.

And welcome to the site,lots of great people on here.

GPaquette

In late August Belleville is one of the best inland lakes around, just find the bass busting shad on the surface and you'll have a blast. Had many days last year with 50+ smallies and numerous 15 pound bags.