Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 11:31:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

FROGS ONLY 2013

Started by bob o, January 23, 2013, 06:33:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

bob o

the number of boats may be down this year, but the fun will be way up. up north that is. i can't wait myself to fish the east side of the state again it's been years since i've been there, oh and the weather looks pretty good, for now hahahahaha. well got to go and start rigging up my frog stuff see ya at the ramp

Mojo

Boaters:
Bob o
Laporte
MSURoss
Frank

Non-boaters:
Mojo
Mrs Laporte
ypsibass
Jules (Franks partner)

Well Bob - I got some Ocktoberfest, if you got some Two Hearted? Partners ?
Thanks Dan for bringing year round Catch and Release to Michigan

YpsiBass

Can't tell you how much I'm looking forward to this weekend with you fellas.

LAPORTE

If your looking at me I'm going to be on a pontoon boat wiith 2 dogs and my wife....lol
2008 Skeeter 20I " Thanks Robin"

bob o

Quote from: Mojo on September 02, 2013, 11:49:43 PM

Boaters:
Bob o
Laporte
MSURoss
Frank

Non-boaters:
Mojo
Mrs Laporte
ypsibass
Jules (Franks partner)

Well Bob - I got some Ocktoberfest, if you got some Two Hearted? Partners? 
Mojo
Mrs.LaPorte

Think some of you have partners already.  Don, frank, mike I'm looking at you.  That leaves bobo and ross without partners, correct?
[/quote]
[/quote]

nobody gets left at the dock, just watch your backcast Mojo.

MSURoss

I dont think Ill be able to make it... have morning practice  :-\'

YpsiBass

Boaters:
Bob o
Laporte
Frank

Non-boaters:
Mojo
The Don's wife
ypsibass
Jules (Franks partner)
bigbassbilly

Maybe we should repeat the Hawg Hunt lineup and put me and Mojo in the boat with bob o.  Only good things will happen in THAT setup.

Edit: looks like there might be 3 to a boat unless we can get another boat owner to make the trip. The only boat that really needs to worry is the one with Mojo on it anyway...

bob o

YpsiBass

Then we can circle the cabin with RAM trucks if Don drives his up like a chuck wagon.

bigbassbilly

I would like to join as a non- boat owner if at all possible.

YpsiBass

Bump for another boater.

Looking forward to lighting a campfire in Don's front yard.

LAPORTE

Here boater boater, Here boater boater  I know your out there...
2008 Skeeter 20I " Thanks Robin"

Mojo

Pairings to date:
Bob o     and   Ypsibass
Laporte  and   Mrs Laporte
Frank     and   Mojo
?????    and    BigBassBilly

Gentlely speaking - GLB members you disappoint me. This is an all out hawg hunt fun time .. Beer .... food ..... What do y'all need ? Some Tilted Kilt girls on shore ?

Hooksetter

I would go but I have a family reunion this Saturday. Frogs are my favorite way to fish.

Willie
Peace.
It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble or hard work. It means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart.

Mojo

Quote from: bigbassbilly on September 03, 2013, 08:47:06 PM
I would like to join as a non- boat owner if at all possible.

Noone gets left on the dock .... We may even have a 15 footer that goes under bridges etc ...   ;D

djkimmel

That's what's important - getting everyone out fishing who can make it! Good work anglers! I will be thinking of you from 2:30pm when I start my drive to Ann Arbor and The Big House right up until 8pm GAMETIME!!

Then, I will probably only be thinking about The Team The Team The Team beating those figthing irash!! (A random frog bite or two will probably slip in while I eat my peanut butter sammich in the student corner of the endzone during halftime.)

Have fun!! Hope you all get several extra big frog splooshes for me!! Watch out for those pike!

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

YpsiBass

Bigbassbilly called me and said he can't make it after all so pairings are correct as of mojo's post. 

YpsiBass

Why is the Frogs Only cursed with rain??

Drove up late friday morning and ended up at Old Orchard Campground with bob o.  Laporte had to cancel so before the trip he was kind enough to send me up with the prizes for winning.  A big thanks to Case Plastics for the donation of a Powell Diesel casting rod and some samples of their lures.  Friday afternoon fished Cooke Dam Pond and caught a couple.  Saw a decent sized pike eat a leg off my rage frog, but he didn't come back for seconds unfortunately.  Managed to find a spotty frog bite in a little bay somewhere on Cooke before we called it a night.  Bob got the campfire lit then had a couple Two Hearted ales then it was lights out for the evening.

The big event turned into a much smaller event with just Frank, Bob, Mojo and I fishing around Foote Dam Pond trying to find a frog bite and failing miserably.  I'm going to blame the rain again this year as it started sprinkling as soon as we got both boats on the water.  The for the next 5 hours or so the weather alternated between light sprinkles, pouring rain, and brief glimpses of sunlight.  This is progress!  First year frogs only there was lightning and much rain. Second year just non-stop rain.  Third year we managed to see the sun for a few seconds.  Frogs Only 2014 is going to be the year I think.  I don't think any of us caught anything on a frog.  Frank and Mojo had luck with spinnerbaits around the dam.  Bob and I managed a couple keepers on drop shot and a couple dinks on a crawfish lure of some sort.  Biggest between the two boats was 15" or so and was deemed the "winner".  We ended up splitting up the plastics between us and I took the rod home. 

All in all, a great trip with great company.  Big thanks again to Case Plastics and a special thanks to Bob O for putting everything together, including the assembly of a comfortable campsite.  Looking forward to next year, but probably on a different lake.

bob o

Thanks Rick for the great overview, i really couldn't say any more about the trip except for the all you can eat coneys for $5 at the Hilltop bar & grill they were good but not great. I really was disappointed in the rain, so much so we left camp on saturday, yea i was wet and peeed. in hind site we should have stuck it out and fished on sunday, oh well next year at tomahawk lake, hint, hint. for an all out whatever you want to cast camping thing. see ya next week at cass lake for the drop shot only thing.

djkimmel

It does sound like 2014 will finally be the year of a sunny, massive frog bite event. Just have to have it on a lake with lots of top cover too to be ensured of the biggest frog event yet!

It does sound like you had fun despite some adversity and that's what is most important.

If you're talking about Tomahawk Creek Flooding, it has had a lot of keep-sized bass in recent years but not a lot of frog-type cover unless something changed just in the past year or two? Fun lake to fish if you like fishing trees and wood. I realize there are several Tomahawk lakes but that is the only one I have successfully launched on.

I tried launching my boat with my truck a few years ago on one of the smaller Tomahawk Lakes up there and got stuck good on the ramp, and then, I got STUCK on the sandy road leading out too!! Thank goodness they redid the campground ramp on Tomahawk Creek Flooding. I can launch there easy without getting wet.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.