Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 14, 2024, 06:00:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Tue, 07 May 2024 13:00:10 +0000
The Michigan DNR is conducting an acoustic tagging study on Lake St. Clair Smallmouth Bass to better understand their distribution through the lake and habitat use.
Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.

Advertisement

Had a riot on Muskegon today!!!

Started by Mike S., May 01, 2011, 06:10:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike S.

I went out with my dad this morning around 8 o'clock.  We went to an area that doesn't get affected too badly by the wind, and tore it up.  We were out for 4 hours, and boated 34 keepers.  18 of which were mine!  Couldn't let the old man woop on me now. 

The water temp was 50 degrees when we got there, and quickly warmed up to 54.  The lure of choice was the KVD 1.5, in sexy shad and chartreuse sexy shad colors.  The fish were just killing it when they would hit.  It was awesome.  They were hitting it best on a medium speed retrieve.  My biggest was 3lbs 9oz.  Dad weighed one at 3lbs 15oz.  He also lost one at the boat that looked to be an easy 5 pounds or better.  It was barely hooked when he got it to the side of the boat, and it got off.  Our common fish were in the 2lb range.  We tried several other lures, soft plastics and so forth, but they wouldn't take them.

My dad's boat is a 12 foot Bass Tracker Tadpole.  The 2 and 3 pound fish would actually turn the boat to them when we were bringing them in.  I had to laugh at him for that.  But, his boat actually got to the water today, and showed me a good time.

skeebass49

I was also on Muskegon today fighting some big roller waves i caught 12 in 2 to 3 feet of water on powerbait water temp was 63 where i was

Mike S.

I know where you were.....  Were you in a big Bass Cat by any chance?

Firefighter Jeff

Nice job Mike.  Sounds like the fishing trip today was just what you needed !!!

LipRip

water temp was 63?? for real? do u mean 53?

Mike S.

There is a power plant on Muskegon.  The water there is always way warmer than the rest of the lake.  Usually 10 to 15 degree difference.  That's why I said, "I know where you were."  But, you have to know the right way in, because the obvious route is not a good one.  I found this out first hand not too long ago.

Waterfoul

Quote from: mikeszr800 on May 02, 2011, 11:58:17 AM
There is a power plant on Muskegon.  The water there is always way warmer than the rest of the lake.  Usually 10 to 15 degree difference.  That's why I said, "I know where you were."  But, you have to know the right way in, because the obvious route is not a good one.  I found this out first hand not too long ago.

And this is why I won't go in there until someone shows me the way!!!
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

skeebass49

nope I was in the stratos and no 63 was the water temp.  Its really tricky getting in there have wrecked a prop a time or 2 but once u get the right route which changes year to year its worth it!

Mike S.

Quote from: skeebass49 on May 02, 2011, 08:28:09 PM
nope I was in the stratos and no 63 was the water temp.  Its really tricky getting in there have wrecked a prop a time or 2 but once u get the right route which changes year to year its worth it!

In previous years, I have gone right straight in there, on plane.  Last year, straight in, but motor trimmed up, staying far to the left by the big sandbar.  All through October and November as a matter of fact.  This year, not a chance.  Figured out the hard way that I have to go the scenic route.  Keep the eyes peeled on that one.