Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 13, 2024, 07:29:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Tue, 07 May 2024 13:00:10 +0000
The Michigan DNR is conducting an acoustic tagging study on Lake St. Clair Smallmouth Bass to better understand their distribution through the lake and habitat use.
Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.

Advertisement

2006 DK Open----When???

Started by Skulley, January 16, 2006, 03:30:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cheetam

Ok...Poorboy is my bud and all, but we need to separate truth from fiction regarding "Cheetams" and "McCarters"...he doesn't really have visual evidence of his own (kinda like bigfoot, yeti, and the Chupacabra), so I had to pull a few of mine as examples:

Jeff

Cheetam

Vs...
Jeff

Cheetam

OR...
Jeff

Cheetam

Ok...I'm done Hijacking this thread.. :D
Jeff

McCarter

Unbelievable, the things you can do in photo shop these days.

If i ever figure out how to get my pictures hosted, i will show you guys some 'unedited' kent lake pigs. 

:D :D :D

PoorBoy himself :-\'

Revtro

Kent and Cass are great lakes, but I'd love to see the tourney at a lake that isn't as highly pressured as either of these two.  That's why I liked Ovid.  We were practically the only boats there and the lake didn't seem like an overly pressured fishery.  It would be cool to find something like that in mid-Michigan where maybe some of the more Northern guys would have an easier time making it.  Just my 2 cents.
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

McCarter

Kent and Cass do get a lot of pressure, but not at that time of the year.? I cant tell you how many days i have had the whole lake to myself in october and november.?

Honestly, i dont care where we have it.? I liked having it at ovid last year because it gave me an excuse to get out there and fish it.? I had been wanting to fish that lake for a while, but just never made it out there.? As long as it no more than a 2 hour drive, i will be there.? Which brings Wixom Lake to mind.

I would say we should have a poll on this but i think the guys in the greater detroit area outnumber the ones to the north and our brothers to the far west.

Lets get a few more lake suggestions and then have a poll just to see what everyone is thinking.

So far we have:

Kent Lake Livingston/Oakland County border

Cass Lake Oakland County

Union Lake Oakland County ( thanks steve )

Belleville Lake Wayne County

Ford Lake Wayne County

Lake Ovid County unknown

Tipsico Lake Livingston County

Whitmore Lake I wanna say Livingston County, not sure,

Lake Fenton Genessee County

Halfmoon Chain Livingston County???

Portage Chain Livingston County??? Cool chain of lakes, lots of smallies and largies.

Lobdell Lake Genessee County

Lake Orion? County unknown

Lakeville Lake County unknown

Any other suggestions?

PoorBoy himself :-\'

blakstr1

Wixom and Sanford might be worth a look...
Blake Arkwood
www.teambass.net
www.quantumfishing.com

dartag

hey poorboy you forgot Union Lake... good fishing,    the launch and crossing the road to park suck,   but we could cook hotdogs on my dock..

ss

Revtro

Where are Wixom and Sanford Lakes?  Perhaps a good way to talk about this would be for guys who have fished these lakes to describe them a bit so we can get an idea of what kind of fisheries they are.  Lake size, launches, big fish, lots of fish, lots of cover, shallow, deep, clear water or dark water, reservior, natural lake, boat speed limits, etc.

BTW - I love fishing lakes I haven't been on before.  I enjoy the challenge.  So I'm up for pretty much anywhere guys want to go.  It was a fun time last year.  One other suggestion.  The fall worked ok for many of the guys, but if the weather is a bit warmer, maybe we could BBQ in addition to the tourney.  So maybe earlier fall would be good.
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

blakstr1

Wixom and Sanford are both up in Mid-Michigan bewteen Midland and Gladwin..I know thats quite a haul for alot of you...  Both are adequate for big tournaments...
Blake Arkwood
www.teambass.net
www.quantumfishing.com

MBell

Of the listed I like...  Cass, Ovid, Lobdell.  Cass gets very little pressure in the late fall, never been to ovid, and lobdell can fish big.
-Matt

dhuff

THose are all good lakes.  I will attend as long as it isn't constricting one of the divisions I am fishing.

Skulley

Lake Orion and Lakeville Lake are both in Northern Oakland County.? They are both largemouth lakes and they both hold big fish.? I think Lakeville fishes bigger and gets less pressure.? Orion is a big bass lake too but gets much more pressure.? Lakeville is full of lumber.? Stumps, fallen timber, you name it.? ?

The Livingston, Washtenaw County lines run right down the center of Whitmore Lake.? Whitmore is located off US 23 at the Pickney Exit.? It is mostly a largemouth lake but does harbor a few smallies.? It does fish big.? It is exceptionally good in the fall after Labor Day.? During the season it is very busy with pleasure boaters and fisherman and jet skiers and every other wingnut in the area.?

Tipsico is on the Livingston/Oakland County line and is actually on the Oakland County side of Tipsico Lake Road.? I shot a turkey there last year during turkey season.? I was coming back from fishing the lake early in the spring and a hen was crossing the launch.? I had my ten gauge in the back of the truck and well the rest was dinner.........

The Halfmoon Chain covers both Livingston and Washtenaw Counties.? It depends where you go in the Chain.? The Portage Chain is in both Livingston and Washtenaw Counties.? It depends where you go in the Chain.?

Never ever been to Ovid so that would give me a good excuse to go there.? Thompson Lake in Howell is a big largemouth lake.? It is right in Howell.? If the tournament was in October then we wouldn't have to deal with the launch officials which would charge $15 to launch unless you were a resident of Howell.? A lot of other good lakes could easily replace this one because of the launch.? It may be kind of small.

If we were thinking of up near Sanford or Wixom, we also may want to consider Smallwood.? I remember reading in Bassmaster quite a few years ago about a write up in Destinations for BASS.? They wrote up Smallwood as a great fall destination.? I will have to try to find the issue.? I have all of them since I joined B.A.S.S.? I have stopped the wife from trashing them many times.? I consider that grounds for divorce.?

I agree with Revtro......lets pick a lake that is not as pressured as Cass or Kent.? Orchard gets a lot of pressure but does fish big in the fall.? I had a really good fall season out there this year.? Caught a lot of 3 lbers a few 4's and at least two that would have gone 5.?

We have lots of time to decide.......especially if Dan holds the tournament in Sept/Oct.?

BD? ? ;D

If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

blakstr1

Our last regular season club event is on Smallwood this year.  We will be there in early September, not quite fall but it should be good.
Blake Arkwood
www.teambass.net
www.quantumfishing.com

spinninbug

I guess being from up north and on the west side of the state I would like to see Wixom because that is only a 2 1/2 hour drive for us.  We would like to fish it this tournament.  I just started on this forum not long ago and didn't realize how much we had been missing.  This is great!

It would be nice to have it more centrally located for everyone who would like to fish it.  However,  Hamlin would be my  first choice,  but I know not everyone would cherish that drive.  So I guess Wixom would be my second choice even though I have never really done great on that body of water however some friends really do well there.  I just enjoy fishing so where ever it is we will try to make it.

Wendy

The secret of staying young is to live honestly, eat slowly, and lie about your age.

dhuff

Houghton Lake might be another good place to fish.  It is centrally located.  You can fish for both species as well as catch a mixed bag of others.  Plenty big enough and alot of campgrounds in the area.  just a thought.

Savage

Wixom, Sanford, Smallwood, Secord..... all those lakes on the titabawasee chain are really good ones, lighter traffic in the fall, no speed limits or wake zones, lots of little "creek arm" backwaters to fish.? Also they are centrally located (in Central Michigan :)) for the guys from way up north.? Plus, they throw some big 'ol toads.

Speaking of way up north, Spinninbug, in your post you mention "us" and "we".? You got a mouse in your pocket, son? ;D  Maybe you have a fishin' partner up there that's on the board too?

QuoteI guess being from up north and on the west side of the state I would like to see Wixom because that is only a 2 1/2 hour drive for us.? We would like to fish it this tournament.? I just started on this forum not long ago and didn't realize how much we had been missing.

As a former "up north" guy, I feel your pain.? I still fish up there quite a bit, in the Black Lake/Douglas/Burt/Mullet area.

Sponsors:
GreatLakesBass.com
Case Soft Plastics
Oxygenator Livewell Systems
O-Wacky Tools
Stong Outdoors
Toyota Trucks

djkimmel

spinninbug is a 'daughter' not a son and I believe she fishes as a husband and wife team if I remember right.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Savage

That's cool!  I though maybe I had the only fishing wife, guess not ;)
Sponsors:
GreatLakesBass.com
Case Soft Plastics
Oxygenator Livewell Systems
O-Wacky Tools
Stong Outdoors
Toyota Trucks