Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 20, 2024, 11:09:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Tue, 07 May 2024 13:00:10 +0000
The Michigan DNR is conducting an acoustic tagging study on Lake St. Clair Smallmouth Bass to better understand their distribution through the lake and habitat use.
Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.

Advertisement

Pre-spawn techniques

Started by BNL, May 05, 2011, 12:25:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BNL

What are your top 5 techniques for pre-spawn fishing?

I have been focusing on these 5:
1) lipless crank - yo yo retrieve
2) bladed jig - swimbait or craw trailer slow roll and hopping along the bottom
3) jerkbait -
4) jig - dragging / hopping
5) squarebill crank -

What else should I be considering? What else you guys use? What's your go to technique?

fishstick

Silver buddy...depending on where your at the water might be starting to get a bit too warm at this point though. I would include a drop shot, when the water is cold I do better drop shotting smaller bulkier baits like a 2.5 inch crooked creek tube or nemesis goby and then switch to worms as the water warms.

A jig, jerkbait, and trap are my other go to baits just depends on what they want that day or the type of pre spawn area I'm targeting.
I use a lot of other stuff during the pre spawn to just depends on the type of area and how close they are to moving up and making beds.

I've also caught some nice fish on swim baits this time of year.

McCarter

trap
sq bill
Nemesis Sicko
Optimum BLT 5" swimbait ( dont be afraid of its size, they eat it )
Jig

thats when they are in actual prespawn mode and up shallow getting ready to start making a mess.  cover lots of water and throw any of the above and you will catch at least one bass ;D

McCarter himself. :-\'

Durand Dan

So far this year for me it's been a DT-6 in Blue Gill color and a Root beer Bandit 300. I've been fishing the DT-6 in 9 to 11 fow running it down quick and retrieving it slow stopping quite a bit. I've been bouncing the Bandit off rocks and the bottom along the shoreline (Kent). Both have consistently been catching good size fish. Of course the Rattle Trap has been effective but not as in past years. No jerkbait fish yet.

t-bone

I hammered them on a squarebill crank last night. Water temp was 55 and they are starting to come up in the shallows.
Terry Bone
Bass Anglers of Michigan
The Bass Boys - TBF Club
2013 Ranger z520c w/ Evinrude ETEC 250

BNL

McCarter

Love the idea of the Optimum BLT.  What are your got to colors on inland lakes?  I am going to order a few and would like to hear your thoughts.

McCarter

I like the Golden Shiner, Pearl Shad, and believe it or not the Table Rock Shad is killer.  i dont do well on that color in other baits, but it kills em on the BLTs.  My favorite color is the Jackson Trout tho.  I was throwing that the other day and had one annihilate it, but i missed him.  the best thing about throwing a swimbait like that is the strike.  they hit it so hard, but if they are in a funk, you will miss a lot of strikes. 

McCarter himself :-\'

Wolverines

IMO, the best part of pre-spawn bass fishing is that you can catch them on just about anything.  Great time of year to gain confidence in a new technique or a new lure you want to try.  It's a shame we can't have tournaments this time of year cause there would be some amazing weigh-ins.

Obviously as water temps increase, some techniques lose their effectiveness, but as far as "pre-spawn"  the list of what I wouldn't do would be way smaller.  
Plan Early for Fall of 2012!!!  Check out the NBAA Lake Michigan Fall Challenge:
http://www.nbaa-bass.com/pages/divisions/div_details12.php?division_id=217

bob o

we slammed'em on spinnerbaits yesterday, and my buddy even busted one on a frog  :o

FishermanJohn

When they're pre-spawn and up shallow I like going either really fast or really slow.  I'll search with a spinnerbait, lipless crank, or shallow running crankbait.  Once I find them or encounter isolated cover I go in with a jig or senko.

If they're staging deeper I'll go with a lipless or jerkbait.

thedude

jerkbait bite has been off for me. I had one day a 2 wee....er days ago  ;D where i must've caught nearly 40 keepers on a jerk. One of the craziest nights of fishing ever.  The last few times out has been a jig though, again - just knocking them dead with it. Trap bite has been sporadic, i feel it will pick up with this warm week we are supposed to have. Lake temp around here came up 5 degrees from saturday to wed so a few days in the upper 60s/low 70s will really get them going.
West Michigan Bass www.westmichiganbass.com
Palehorse Custom Rods