Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:38:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

BFL - tough day on Mullett - still huge weigh-in

Started by djkimmel, June 10, 2006, 10:09:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

djkimmel

Not a full report because I'm beat - we launched at 5:30 AM this morning to give us extra time for the no wake stretches.

Surface water temps dropped up to 14 degrees in the past two days so the fishing was off - BUT it still took about 18 1/2 pounds to get in the money on the boater side. 24-4 won. 24-3 took 2nd (the Tulgeska father and son - I think that's the spelling). About 10 or so over 20 pounds.

I was not one of them. I found big and a few huge fish last Sunday. Didn't check them yesterday or the few hours I had on Thursday. I had seen more than enough quality fish on beds, but I don't like fishing in crowds.

I picked lucky sort of and had a spot on Mullett almost all to myself for quite a while, but the fish got weird. It was very windy and hard to see. The short version is my co-angler lost a toad near the boat. Then I got 3 good ones - probably 12 1/2 pounds, but I didn't see a couple another boat caught (rats).

By the time I ran into the 'crowded' areas it was hard to find anything left. I got two small keepers, but couldn't find more big ones and my co-angler got a few small ones, but no keepers (I told him to blame his boater). We looked hard. Guess I stayed too long on the first spot. I did have a big follower I couldn't pinpoint and a couple others that may have been wanderers along with one very odd one that we never caught - maybe 3 pounds (kept going under the boat or swimming out to the boat) - but the slate appeared to be cleared by the time we went looking elsewhere.

So many places to check??  I ended up with 16-9. I'll take it. Two more big ones would have been really nice. I did look - very hard.

Overall, the tournament went very well. The people up there were unbelievable to work with - really nice. Really accommodating in many ways. BFL staffers would love to go back.

Regardless, tournament director Anthony Wright has asked that all BFL participants send him (within 1 week) a list of the top 5 lakes they want to fish ranked 1 through 5. FLW Outdoors wants to know which lakes anglers want to fish for the Michigan Division - here's your opportunity. Email your list to awright@flwoutdoors.com.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

SODY

DJ, sounds like you had a great day and I'm glad I found you.
Sorry I could not be there just got the Champion back! $2900 and six pistons later, running great now though. I will be at the CATT on ST.Clair and the next BFL. I have been fishing various trails a few team tournaments with Julie my wife and we qualified for the FOM regional in 05. Been fishing with Tim Vanpolens west group. Problem is the are running with the other dates this year.
So far one CATT big BASS, off to a good start. God bless, hope to catch up soon. Check out SOUTHBRANCOUTDOORS.com, my new home and work in progress.

Tight lines
Rich Soderquist

djkimmel

HEY Rich! Thanks for signing up and checking in. I was recently thinking I hadn't talked to you in quite a while. Sorry about the engine problems it sounds like you had. Glad you got it back and can get out fishing. I'll see you at the St. Clair BFL on June 24.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

djkimmel

I probably should add that a number of members from this board were at the BFL event. Some of them did real well although I have not looked at the full standings (okay - I took a quick peek at the standings) and did not get to say hi to everyone (I think I was half asleep the entire 2 1/2 days i was there - I drove out to launch my boat Friday evening without unplugging my camper!?!).

I remember rufus thought he had 16 something, but of course he is modest and finished 2 places out of the money (20th) with 18-03.

SClapper had 20 pounds, 1 ounce and finished 12th.

Reelin Realtor finished 23rd with 17-14 (big weigh in when 20-1 isn't even top 10!).

I finished 33rd with my 16-9 that I'll just have to be happy with.

grasslakebasspro was 43rd. SethV was 48. Garza (I'm too tired tonight to spell it all out Jose) 50th. That's the top 50 on the boater side. I probably missed someone there. I'm not sure if anyone who finished below that wants me to dwell on their finish or not. I leave it up to them.

On the co-angler side, a whole bunch were there. I talked to many, but I definitely don't have all the names matched up to screen names yet, so I'm SURE I'll miss someone (several members and non-members came up and told me they recognized my boat from the web page :)).

30th - squid
31st - RB (I think)
36th - Bish
47th - Team houston
47th - Madwags (the 'Mad' part of Madwags)

Congrats to everyone and thanks for saying hey when you had a chance.

yukonjack2

I'll throw it ou there - couldn't get them to bite.  Lots of followers on the JB, no takers.  Wind was horrible thurs pm, and all day fri - how do you see the beds in 25 mph winds and 3-4 footers? Having the extra practice days paid off for many this tourney -

upside - got my co-angler a few fish somehow - he was pretty pleased to get a 21st place finish with a boater that had nothing going -

see ya all in two weeks on LSC.

Jack
Jack Cahn

State Farm-Fenton, MI
Doug Mercer 810-714-0370

Bearclaw Taxidermy
Gladwin, MI  989-205-1724

Dantotsu-seeking sustainable competitive advantage through striving to be the best of the best, thereby having an effective lead over others and serving to be the pacesetter.

Shouldn't one have to pass a urine test to get a welfare check because I have to pass one to earn it for them

CuradoKev

Coangler addition - I was a big ZERO !!!

Had a good boater but things didn't work out. I had some chances and other times waited for boater to finish with bedded fish.

Good lake and some great catches.

No more zero's or I can kiss Iowa good-bye. Looking forward to LSC in 2 weeks.

Ckev
SOB Lures
www.soblures.com

Terry's Tackle
www.terrystackle.com

djkimmel

It was a tough day for most co-anglers. I always hate to see that.

Team houston

Dan I did not get a chance to thank you in person for all your hard work leading up to this tourny and for the catch and release season. So THANK YOU.       Phil

grasslakebasspro

I had never been to Burt/Mullet until this tournament.  I was able to practice Tuesday and Wednesday.  On Thursday I slept more then I did fishing due to being ill. 

On Saturday I caught around 15 bass; 6 keepers out of the 15.  All of my fish came on a jerkbait.

I am amazed how so many anglers found bedding bass in deep water with strong winds and waves.

The only drawback to the tournament was the long idle from the City ramp to the tournament site; then more idle to Mullet Lake.

We had a nice local crowd to watch the weigh-in.  They seemed to like the idea of us being there.

I hope we go back there in 07.

djkimmel

Make sure and send a note to awright@flwoutdoors.com about that glbp.

You're welcome Team houston. Lot's of learning experiences the past few seasons.