Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:55:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

What do you think @ KVD's Comments on the BASS Marshal program?

Started by djkimmel, December 08, 2008, 12:56:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

djkimmel

I'm always interested in seeing how the sport of bass tournament angling is evolving (or devolving sometimes) and seeing how new things develop. I've been wondering about the latest change BASS is trying for the Elite Series pro's - the Marshal program.

Our 'local boy' KVD is taking the point for BASS on this in the following article: Kevin VanDam on the new Bassmaster Elite Series Marshal program

There's been a little discussion already the forum - here's some I recall - http://www.greatlakesbass.com/forum/index.php?topic=4991.0

Just wondered what anyone else thinks about this. Will it last past one season? Is it the thing that will take bass tournament angling closer to golf? Are there anglers out there interested in watching a pro fish for a day for a nominal $100 fee without being able to fish?

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Buckeye

I don't think it's a bad deal, but I didn't think it was a bad deal when they charged $300 for observers previously.  They reward those people who do go with some cool stuff.  I know a buddy went to Florida to observe for the Federation Nation championship, and he wound up getting two Mustang PFD's.  One was the high end version worth $250+, and the other was worth $200. 

I think the only real issue for me would be if the pro wasn't a talker.  I know I like to talk, but not everyone does, especially while they are fishing.  Sitting in a bass boat for 9 to ten hours with "the silent type", would suck big time.  I observed for two days at the Kentucky state championships last year, and I'd rather have my wisdom teeth pulled....again!

Eric

BigSmallie

I see good & bad.     

The good: The pro's can now manage their water better not having to worrying about wheather the amature in the back of the boat is going to catch a fish the pro really needs.    And not having the amature in the boat will allow the pro to consentrate more on their fishing.....without looking over their shoulder all the time.

The bad: A lot of guys looked forward to fishing with these pros in hopes of being put on nice fish to win big money.

Now you have the BFL & Stren Series.    If you want to fish a tournament with low entry fees and the chance of collecting a nice check...throw your money in the hat and go get it!!    Don't wait on some pro to take you to the fish!     Hell.......anyone can catch fish in a bath tub........but it takes both time & money to find that bath tub.

It will be better for the sport of bass fishing in the end with so many tournaments available now to the amature fisherman.

BS  ;)
"I don't care how you did the other day......bring em' to the scales"

cr

I can see where this would appeal to some people . It seem's to me that some people have a need to feel involved or a part of something , or just in "charge" of something . Just like in a Pro-Golf tournament where there's volunteer's holding the ropes or carrying score boards on the off chance Tiger might look at them and make their day . When I was working I used to say that my free time was worth $100/hour to me . Now with the recession and me being retired it's more like $50/hour . Personally , NO, I would not pay to perform a service for anyone , BASS or KVD , which is what this is , IMO .  If BASS feel's the need to have observers in the boats , let them pay me to be there , have a raffle and pay the winners to participate . I would rather ride in my boat and follow some pro's around maybe , but have the option to fish any time I wanted because I know I'd get bored watching someone else fish for 8 hours . Even KVD ......

MBell

I didn't read the details of the program, but I would expect some sponsor giveaways for the observers.  I would consider it if I had more time, but IMO the field it too big.  Of the 110 there's only about 30-50 guys that would make the trip worthwhile.  I'm sure you would learn from all 110 guys, but with the travel expense and vacation time I'd rather be fishing.  I do see this as a step towards a real pro tour.
-Matt   

TritonTR20

Got to say it would suck to sit in a cold rain all day and not at least be able to fish....

djkimmel

Interesting range of comments. Some of the things I was thinking and feeling about the situation too. I might do it once in a while if I had the time off and the travel expense covered. Probably not anytime soon. I already have started to go to some events just to take pictures and video when I can though.

I think overall, with the risk of getting the silent treatment or someone who is not up to your expectations of a top tier pro, that there should be no fee since you can look at it as much as a service to BASS as an opportunity to the Marshal. I've seen programs pay in the past for observers and plenty other variations.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Bender

I see good and bad parts. The good is you could learn a lot. Also from what i hear the merchandise given out will be worth much more than $100.
The bad outweigh the good for me:
Escanaba is too far to drive, I'd rather go south. If it were on water I normally fish it would be more interesting to me.
It will take pretty much an entire week.
I can also see big problems arising on Saturday and Sunday with the Marshalls fishing spots that they fished with the pros during the week.
It would drive me nuts sitting on the water without a fishing rod in my hand!

I see where KVD is coming from but also what else would he say about it. You don't bite the hand that feeds you.
- Chris
www.nemesisbaits.com

bassmandan

the way i see it is and im not bashing anyone so please dont bash back. i think it is a good thing for the elites, they make a living doing what they do. i understand that people want to fish with the pros it would be an awesome experience.  but what if amateurs played football with the pros or baseball or anything else like that. it would screw up their careers for all the hard work they put in just because amateurs got in the way. ive read one comment before that now that there is no more co anglers that it would screw up his chance to go pro. some of these guys did fish as co anglers but they made it to where they are at by getting their experience on the water without the pros and made it up the ranks to be where they are at. if you are planning on trying to be a marshall ask the pros questions because i know they wont go out of their way to tell you stuff when they are fishing and you aren't saying a word.  bring your shades, watch your surroundings like in the water/cover or w/e, the retrieves they are performing with lures, if they are fishing deep watch the depth finder(dont go on the front deck though haha). you could learn a lot more when your paying attention to the pros, and i know from myself when i was a co angler i payed more attention to the boater than more to what i was doing. so i believe its a benefit for both sides.
"dont stop keep fishing"

josh617

All I have to say is good luck to BASS trying to get 110 observers up in Escanaba. ::) Probably isnt much of a problem down south, but up north people may be a little different. Just curious how many of u guys are going to drive 10 hrs one way, pay $100 just to watch someone fish? I not bashing BASS but I dont think its a great move.
Quote from: bassmandan on December 08, 2008, 05:50:34 PM
watch your surroundings like in the water/cover or w/e, the retrieves they are performing with lures, if they are fishing deep watch the depth finder(dont go on the front deck though haha).
most guys turn the console depthfinder off when fishing deep to avoid interference, so your pretty much watching a guy stare at the depthfinder all day. sorry, not my idea of money well spent. Its not too scenic either out in the middle of lake michigan.

Dan

I'm probably in a different boat than most because I'm retired, have a pickup camper, and can pull my boat off to Escanaba or wherever whenever. I signed up for Escanaba, and I didn't see where riding with three pros for three days was a bad deal at all for $100. I like to hob knob, and even if I have to watch all day with limited conversation I think it's a bargain. Might it be boring, wet, and involve a Coast Guard rescue? Maybe, but life is all about the experience and after all, I can fish every day if I want to.

Last April I got to go down to Ray Scott's estate, and he cooked dinner for us and talked the night away. We fished in his ponds the next day and then went out to one of his favorite dinner places with him. I would have been perfectly happy just to have spent the time listening to him and never wetting a line. It was a trip of a lifetime just being in his company was more than I could have hoped for. He's one heck of a guy and one heck of an advocate for the average joe federation angler by the way.

If by being a Marshall, I can emulate just a fraction of that experience it would be worth it to me. I know there will be some very boring stretches of the day. I was an observer at the B.A.S.S. Federation Nation National Championships for three straight days. There were some observers who fell asleep. I had some very heavy eyelids at times myself, but I met three fantastic anglers who I still am in contact with today! (Yes, they did give us Mustang PFDs. They watched them like hawks though and if you volunteered one day you got one. If you volunteered all three days you just got one, or were suppose to.)

I fished all the BFLs this year and qualified to fish down at Cherokee Lake. It was a lot of unfamiliar water and took time and cash to learn. To learn it well it would have taken longer than I had and more money that I get from my retirement checks. Toward that end, I want to learn Guntersville, Wheeler, and Pickwick. I have a brother-in-law that lives almost halfway between Guntersville and Pickwick. I have been wanting to take my boat down there, but the gas has been so high I haven't. There is an Elite Event on Guntersville and the very next weekend one on Pickwick. As a Marshall I would get treated to some great areas to use as a jumping off point should I decide to head down to my brother-in-laws any time after that. For me, it's a no brainer. A guided trip on fabled bass waters. I haven't signed up for the Alabama tournaments, but I'm seriously considering them. Some mighty good barbecue down there.

I really find it hard to believe that BASS will get 110 Marshals each of the first two days. Third day they cut to fifty and the fourth day camera guys are in the boats. I just don't think they'll get enough people for a number of the events. Even the Nationals, on Toho, were short volunteers and some of the anglers fished without an observer and they only had about 60 competitors. Ray Scott originally brought competitive bass fishing to the fore because the doubt of a credible catch was quelled by having two people in the boat. When you're fishing for that kind of money someone will always be tempted to maybe not blatantly cheat, but may try to gain a slight competitive advantage. That may be all it would take to sway the outcome of an event.

Bottom line it works for me to try it. Not cheat, but to be a Marshall. I plan on blogging each day of each event, and I'll be shooting video and taking pictures. There will be a Cold Water Clash video. Since I have decided to make the trip, two more friends have signed up. Breaker 1-9, looks like we got ourselves a convoy.
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

kgr624

I would have to agree with Mr. Shine. I also signed up,and my brother and I are going up together and making a vacation of it. I am a teacher and thinking of all the conferences that I go to and the money I spend doing that...... I would trade it any day to be on the water with a pro. I do see the other side and the weather and water and the silent treatment are in the back of my mind but like Dan said it's memories that will be made. Plus I looked at it as the gear is worth 100 itself. Dan, I will see you up there. We'll look for ya.

Your either getting better or worse you never just stay the same

Dan

Hey Ken,
Good to hear from you, and I will enjoy seeing you guys up there. For those who may not know Ken and his brother, they were two of the best prep athletes in West Michigan in three sports not too long ago. Well... it's getting to be a while ago now Ken. Either you or I are getting old. Nick is coming home this weekend for a visit. I only get to see him a couple times a year.
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

djkimmel

Yes, where it is held would make a big difference to me. Having been out in a few 'pro-driven' boats on the big water... I hesitate to put my life in the hands of a random draw...?? There are some waters that would be much more attractive to me for a deal like this.

djkimmel

Quote from: bassmandan on December 08, 2008, 05:50:34 PM
the way i see it is and im not bashing anyone so please dont bash back.

Don't forget, no bashing allowed on here. You have the right to your opinion like anyone else. And thanks for sharing it.

djkimmel

Quote from: dartag on December 08, 2008, 07:09:23 PM
Quote from: TritonTR20 on December 08, 2008, 02:22:16 PM
Got to say it would suck to sit in a cold rain all day and not at least be able to fish....

add 4-6 foot waves possible with any south wind over 15 mph.  that place gets really rough we used to walleye fish up there.  most of these guys are from the south and don't have a lot of experience on rough water.  read the reports from the Erie Elite out of buffalo.  lots of swamped boats.   I had my life in the hands of an FLW pro last summer on Eire and will never do it again.  however if you want to rub shoulders with the pros i guess it is a good deal. have fun take lots of photos and post your stories for us old guys.

You sure do make it sound attractive... ;D

djkimmel

Quote from: Dan on December 08, 2008, 11:03:47 PM
I'm probably in a different boat than most because I'm retired, have a pickup camper, and can pull my boat off to Escanaba or wherever whenever. I signed up for Escanaba, and I didn't see where riding with three pros for three days was a bad deal at all for $100. I like to hob knob, and even if I have to watch all day with limited conversation I think it's a bargain. Might it be boring, wet, and involve a Coast Guard rescue? Maybe, but life is all about the experience and after all, I can fish every day if I want to.

You #$%@$%# retired guys... ;D

That's the point of this discussion. Works for some. Doesn't work for others. Might work for me sometimes. We'll see... if it lasts. Or maybe this is a step to something better?

It sounds like you're pretty confident you'll make that 3rd day cut. At times, that might make it more interesting to me... to get that 3rd day. And at other times, 2 would be fine. Boy, do I sound ambivalent, or what?!?

Got Fish??

It's all about marketing B.A.S.S.,And putting some green in thier pockets. When you make millions of dollars fishing for bass. People will listen to you too!

Dan

Here's what I copied off B.A.S.S. concerning the third day. "Participation in Day 3 is optional and available only to the first 50 people who check "yes" to Day 3 during the online registration process."

I called to register and the gal I talked to told me I was in the first 50 to call. I'm assuming that I'm participating for three days.

djkimmel