email
 Home  |  GL Blog  |  Forum  |  News  |  Tournament News  |  Conservation  |  Videos  |  Join  |  Youth  |  Site Map  |  Search  |  Contact Us  |  About Us  |  Advertise  |  Online Shopping  |  Donate to this site reluctant

Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum  - extensive bass fishing home page specializing in Great Lakes, Michigan, Indiana, Ohio, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Illinois, Iowa, Pennsylvania, New York and Ontario bass fishing techniques, news, issues, conservation, bass fishing reports, bass biology, tournament strategy, bass fishing lure and fishing tackle, bass fishing forum and fishing message board, logistics, weather and safety, and product information.

Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum

Your Great Lakes and Michigan Online
               Bass Fishing and Tournament Community.

Advanced search  
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bass Boat Restoration Project - 1990 Gemini 200 DCX  (Read 17111 times)

Mike S.

• GLBass Champion
  • Legend
  • Lucky number 1k!
  • View Gallery
Re: Bass Boat Restoration Project - 1990 Gemini 200 DCX
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2012, 02:58:05 PM »

Bring it to Kelly at Fiberglass Products in Grandville.  He's an old timer who's forgotten more about painting and gelcoating boats than any of us could ever learn.  He's done some work for me, my friends, and several of my customers and I highly recommend him.

Can he fix the scratches in the side of my boat? 

Waterfoul

• 7.89 New Personal Best!
  • GLBass.com Sponsor
  • Legend
  • Is it tournement season yet???
  • View Gallery
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2012, 03:41:01 PM »

Bring it to Kelly at Fiberglass Products in Grandville.  He's an old timer who's forgotten more about painting and gelcoating boats than any of us could ever learn.  He's done some work for me, my friends, and several of my customers and I highly recommend him.

Can he fix the scratches in the side of my boat? 

Yup.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

Mike S.

• GLBass Champion
  • Legend
  • Lucky number 1k!
  • View Gallery
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2012, 07:19:49 PM »

I called them today. I just have to find a nice window , after bass season is closed, to drag the boat down to him for an estimte and possibly to get it done right away. I got an estimate from a guy here in Muskegon, but I'm not real confident in him for some reason.

Waterfoul

• GLBass.com Sponsor
  • Legend
  • View Gallery
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2012, 11:03:21 PM »

Did you tell him I sent you?  He might charge you more if you do!  LOL!!!

Bet he tried to talk your ear off... he likes to talk.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

Mike S.

• GLBass Champion
  • Legend
  • Lucky number 1k!
  • View Gallery
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2012, 04:42:54 AM »

I will tell him who sent me when I meet him. He's a customer of yours, right? That's good husiness. And yes, he likes to talk. If he can fix my scratches, I will listen to whatever he has to say.

Waterfoul

• GLBass.com Sponsor
  • Legend
  • View Gallery
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2012, 08:08:23 AM »

I will tell him who sent me when I meet him. He's a customer of yours, right? That's good husiness. And yes, he likes to talk. If he can fix my scratches, I will listen to whatever he has to say.

He's a "sometimes" customer of mine... buys epoxy from time to time.  He should come in more... I can save him money in the long run.  I probably send him more business than he does with me at my store, which is fine with me.  Anyway... he's a good guy and I'm sure he can fix you up.

Bad Poncho

« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2013, 06:29:35 PM »

So we do have an update! The shop now all of a sudden said they will fix the paint free of charge after they received word of what the project was for. Also, removing the rub rail and over the next week or so I will be sanding her down myself to make sure things are right before it goes back to paint.

_____

Removing a rub rail on a bass boat is relevantly quick and easy, though it can quickly become a nightmare if you aren't careful and strip out a screw head or two like we did. If that happens though there is nothing like a drill and a pair of pliers to get out of a bind!

Step 1: Remove End Caps
Step 2: Remove Inserts (Rope or Rigid inset)
Step 3: Remove Screws
Step 4: Remove Rub Rail

Step 4 should come along with step 3, the rub rail should fall off as you remove the screws.

Have questions? Comment below or visit http://badponchooutdoors.com

BadPoncho

« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2013, 12:34:05 PM »

FINALLY, with the warmer temps I'm able to get back at it and making very quick progress which is very frustrating in some way. Sanded the entire top of the hull in around 4 hours by hand, the paint adheared great to most of the "wings" but the channels of the lockers had some issues with peeling.

Look for a few videos over the coming weeks!

Bad Poncho

« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2016, 07:02:04 PM »

Hello boys and girls!

It's been quite a while since we've worked on the project but with the changes here at home we can finally get back to knocking things out day-after-day until the snow flies. Back in 2013 we had begun a project to resurrect to boat my father had purchased back in 1990 from a now-closed boat sales location.

From 1990-1999 my father had fished professionally out of the boat as his sole income, in late 1999 he had come to the decision of being with the family more often and getting a "real job." This job along with family life had taken over and the boat had been neglected. Finally in 2002 the original motor blew which resulted in a fresh rebuild along with porting, polishing, upgraded carbs, and new exhaust routing. These modifications were for naught because the rebuild took longer than expected which meant the boat would sit over the winter unused, becoming a great home for mice which found their way into the motor and eventually somehow the new block had lost compression during this time.

In 2013 we had picked up the project with zeal, after making very rapid progress we had sent the boat off for paint. Sending the boat off into someone else's hands which ended in a major relations debacle causing the project to come to a halt. Now in 2016 we have our own space again and the progress is once again very rapidly happening. Follow along while we make the magic happen!

Bad Poncho

« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2016, 06:38:19 PM »

Well, I got my steering cables broken free thanks to some Hoppes 9 gun solvent and a pair of vice-grips. The biggest breakthrough was getting the cable out of the tilt-tube which had been rusted together previously. Now that the steering is known to work we can move onto removing any of the current corrosion with white vinegar from the hardware store and get moving to winterization and planning of the switch planels, gauge cluster, and other more detailed type stuff!

djkimmel

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Welcome to GreatLakesBass.com - Board Admin
  • View Gallery
    • GreatLakesBass.com
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2016, 02:23:47 PM »

Thanks for sharing.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of Michigan BASS Nation or TBF of Michigan.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Advertisements

Visit Other Features of GreatLakesBass.com using the links below

Site Home | News | Videos | Bass Forum | Bass Tips | Articles | My Confidence Products | Tournaments

GL Blog | Weather | Fishing Pictures | Building Bass Boats | Conservation/Legislation | Bass Biology

Advertise | Site Sponsors | GreatLakesBass.com Store | Online Shopping

Site Map | Contact Us | Search | About Us | Links | Link to Us | Resources | Privacy Policy | Disclosure Policy
Stop Spam Harvesters, Join Project Honey Pot

VigLink badge