Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:34:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Spring bass on Grand Traverse bay and Elk Lake

Started by fishcollector, April 17, 2011, 08:33:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishcollector

Hey guys, my buddy and I are heading up to fish the bay, elk lake, skegomore, torch the weekend before Memorial day and neither one of us has fished any of those lakes before and wondered if I could get some pointers and decent areas to try for those smallies, depending on our spring I would imagine they would be in the pre-spawn or just into the spawn mode. Any help we can get to make the most out of our trip would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

LennyB

If I had never been there before I would start by slowly cruising the breakline and have your partner looking for the beds. If its relitivly calm they should stand out like a sore thumb if your looking for them and they will be in little stretches with dead water in between. If they are not bedding yet with this extended winter, just cast a lipless crankbait at all the weed patches or anything else the looks like it might held some fish. 

Dan

The smallies won't be bedding on the bay till the end of June, 4th of July. You will definitely be prespawn on all those lakes. Mid June you would see some beds and depending on the spawn maybe a tad bit earlier. Skegemog may be the first one to try. Darker bottom and stumps in the east end may warm up early.
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

fishcollector

Thanks for the info. we would have liked to go a little later but it seems like summer gets busyer and busyer every year. we will deffinatly use your advise and make the best of it maybe next year try a bit latter. You have pretty good luck on tubes in those lakes?

traversebass

As a bass guide based out of Traverse City (Traverse City Bass Guide Service), I would definitely recommend trying to do some homework studying some maps.   Subtle breaks, shallow and deep flats and dropoffs all play a key role in finding fish.   Search baits like spinnerbaits, rattletraps and jerkbaits are all good.   We're a bit behind schedule weather-wise, but that's not to say that a really nice warming trend couldn't put us back where we "should" be.   As you probably know, these are clear water fisheries, so more often than not, natural colors will rule the day.   Occasionally, brighter colors can wake up a bite, but I generally have my customers sticking to more natural patterns.   I run a Ranger Z-520 with two powerpoles on the back.   I'm out on the water almost every day with customers, but if you see me, stop and say hello.   

fishcollector

Sound pretty good thanks for the info. I have a Nitro Savage 896 blue & gray and I will have it out there. If you dont mind maybe I could give you a call when we are heading there and see what has been happening with the water temp and how the fishing is. My name is Scot and appreciate the info and will do some homework on the lakes

TheFishinPollock

All I can say is bring warm cloths. The water is incrediably cold. Put the dock in yesterday and  even with insulated waders my leggs were froze. Like it's been said, we are way behind  this year weather wize. This warm rain will help ,but with night temps dipping  low it cools right back off.   I agre with the rest. My area won't see spawning till mid june at the earliest unless some drastic weather changes occure.  The bay , target yuba ,north of Elk Rapids and  Old Mission. Elk  is predominatlay sand with little structure, but try NW  shorelines and coves. less wind, more weed growth.  Varius fish structure plants  are still around but deteriorating  fast. Most maps will ahve  general markers for those plants.  Torch lake. it's simple. Be there ont eh right 4 5 days and its  nutz. Miss it by a day and its catching alota water.
Matthew" the pollock" Novak
1986 Champ 168
 2014 Pro XS 115 Merc