Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:19:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

A wake up call for all of us

Started by fishon1219, June 06, 2006, 11:37:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishon1219

I was just reading this article on bass fan. This should be a wake up call for all of us. My last boat was a smaller boat with less horsepower than my new Stratos and I was never scared in that boat because I knew it's limitations and mine, but my new boat I am still learning what it can do and I am taking it very easy right now, but I have scared myself on a couple of occassions. Here is the story:

Charlie Weyer and co-angler Steve Harrison were involved in a frightening boat accident on day 2 of the recent Grand Lake Bassmaster Elite Series.

"We were just running down the lake at 63 or 64 mph and I hit a couple of crisscross wakes that were 1 1/2 or 2 feet high," Weyer said. "The first one launched the boat, and then we came down on the second one and made an immediate 90-degree turn.

"My partner went up and over the (driver's side) console and into the water. I tried to grab him, but I couldn't get ahold of him, and I was sure that when the boat had made that turn, it had gone right on top of him.

"I thought he wasn't coming back up, but fortunately he did. (The boat) had missed him and bounced over him."

They were picked up by lake patrol officers and returned to the launch, where BASS provided them with a replacement boat. They went to the spot they were headed to when the accident occurred, and Harrison caught a 3-pounder to make the Top 50 co-angler cut.

Weyer finished 65th with 22-05. "We lost about 2 1/2 hours of fishing," he said. "I think I could have made the cut, but when we got back out there, I was so shaken up that I could hardly fish."

Both anglers were wearing personal flotation devices (PFDs). They suffered bumps and bruises, but neither required medical attention. Weyer lost "a bunch of tackle and six or seven rods."

Patrol officers towed the boat back to the launch. The engine had dislodged from the mounting bracket, but the cables kept it connected to the boat.

"Triton has taken care of everything with the boat and they said I'll have it back by Thursday," he said.

It was by far the scariest boating incident he's ever been involved in.

"I spun one out 10 or 12 years ago, but that was at about 20 mph," he said. "I don't really know why or how this happened. It was just one of those freak things.

"We were very fortunate."

With that being read it has opened my eyes wide to a couple of things that I do wrong. My PFD is a sospenders type, but it has a manuel inflation device not an automatic. I am now going to wear my regular PFD until I can afford to buy an automatic inflator, also for some reason and I dont know why i am just lazy I guess  I rarly hook up my safety tether except when I am in a tournament. That tether is now going to be permanetly attached to my PFD. As was stated in the story this was just a freak thing, How many times have any of you just had a freak thing happen that could have turned real bad real quick if you didnt have the experience to know how to react in the situation??

Nemesis Baits Pro-Staff
www.nemesisbaits.com

stackenem

Good article I always wear my pfd even when not in tx. One of the things I question with the nbaa is they do not require them in their tx's but I wear mine and want my co to wear theirs also.
Remember you don't quit fishing when you get old, you get old when you quit fishing

smbassman

I can definitely relate to this!  This spring in Arkansas, I put a new prop on the boat to try out while prefishing.  It turned out to be too much for the boat and could not keep the nose up when running.  But the boat still ran well enough to just finish the fishing day.  I was heading back up the lake and was running low 60's with almost no bow lift.  I came to a boat wake at a slight angle that was like any I have driven over before, even at 70+mph without a problem.  We went over the first wave and the nose dug into the second and put us into a immediate 90degree spin.  I was pinned to the side and fighting the steering wheel until I saw my wife loose her grip on the side bar and came flying at me.  I was luck and caught a hold of her and also lucky she was able to hold on thru the most severe part of the turn. 

I have also talked to a guy that flipped a Ranger 391 this same way, so it is not that uncommon.

Like above, this is the reason I use a vest and not sospenders, I do not even trust the automatic versions.  I also have been in the habit of always wearing my vest and hooking up the kill switch when running at WOT.

McCarter

I almost got thrown from the boat the first tournament day down in South Carolina.  My boater decided to bust a 90 and take the others boats wakes head on.  Next think i know, i am airborne for short stint, then sitting on my boaters lap.

He looked at me like i was crazy!  Later i told him that what he did was pretty weak and if he is going to attempt anymore crazy manuevers to let me know ahead of time.  Im pretty sure he was an alien.

PoorBoy himself :-\'

dartag

Quote from: stackenem on June 06, 2006, 12:08:00 PM
Good article I always wear my pfd even when not in tx. One of the things I question with the nbaa is they do not require them in their tx's but I wear mine and want my co to wear theirs also.

not sure what NBAA you are fishing but i fish weeknight and they are required when the big engine is running..

i wear a vest pulled tight..  after last years Everstart i will wear a full coverage helmet this year.. them  35 mile runs to erie can be tough in rain..

McCarter

i wear a vest pulled tight.. after last years Everstart i will wear a full coverage helmet this year.. them 35 mile runs to erie can be tough in rain..

One word:  Fish Hedz

Ok, that was 2 words.  But if you are interested, i will give ya loaner to check out.  I guarantee you will be more comfortable wearing a Hedz rather than a helmut.  especially if its hot out.  And you will save some cash.

Lemme know

blakstr1

Quote from: PoorBoy on June 06, 2006, 12:37:24 PM
Next think i know, i am airborne for short stint, then sitting on my boaters lap.

I'm pretty sure he was an alien.

LMAO!!

NEVER TRUST AN ALIEN...? ;D

Did you earn any $$$ for the lap dance, or was it complimentary?  :P
Blake Arkwood
www.teambass.net
www.quantumfishing.com

stackenem

Dartag I fish the Tues night and was told they don't enforce that rule.
Remember you don't quit fishing when you get old, you get old when you quit fishing

McCarter

I didnt not recieve any money payment for my efforts, but i did recieve a bible from him after the tournament.  He even autographed it.  Maybe he thought i  needed it after singing Slayer and Metallica songs all day.  The 'good ol boys'  dont appreciate such hits as 'reign in blood', 'angel of death', 'motorbreath', or 'seek and destroy'  But i bet if Garth Brooks did a cover of 'hit the lights' they would listen.

McCarter

Quote from: stackenem on June 06, 2006, 01:13:58 PM
Dartag I fish the Tues night and was told they don't enforce that rule.

If that is the case, that isnt very smart.  The way the justice system works these days, that is a lawsuit waiting to happen.  Signing a waiver doesnt even hold up these days.

A few years back a large tournament organization was sued and put out of business after one of the participants had an accident with a pleasure boat.  The tournament was over and i think the guy ( who i believe lived on the lake ) was just cruising back home via boat after the weigh in.  If i remember correctly, a young woman was killed and the family sued the director and the organization.  Its been a while so i cant guarantee all these facts are 100% accurate, but i think its pretty close.

Wear them anyway, you never know whats going to happen.  I usually wont wear mine when i am on smaller lakes that i know pretty well, but i should.  I know people drown every year just about in Kent Lake.  the weeds are so strong out there that even if you just tumble over the side, the weeds can grab ahold of you and keep you down there.  I hear drowning is a peaceful way to die, but i would rather not find out.

dcain

Very interesting.....Two of my buddies were fishing on Guntersville this past spring in a Triton 21X series, they were running down the lake 70mph or so and the next thing they know they were spinning 360's. The boat came to rest and all were OK. They raised they motor up and the entire lower unit was gone. They said they never heard or felt a thing it just started spinning.

djkimmel

ALWAYS wear your life jacket when the big motor is on. ALWAYS attach your kill switch. Drive over deaths in Michigan and in Indiana could have been prevented by those simple things.

Even falling out at the ramp while putting the boat on the trailer can be tragic.

At the speeds our boats go, it will be over before you can think to regret not doing it. Most of all, do not go too fast for conditions. Be aware of your surroundings and oncoming water or obstacles. It doesn't matter if it is the morning blast off of your biggest tournament, don't wreck your boat or your health. You are responsible for the person sitting next to you, and you need to consider all the other people on or near the lake (docks, floating docks, beaches, etc.).

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Savage

Dartag:  You have to try out the Fish Hedz!  I took quite a bit of Flak from the guys in my club when I first got mine a couple years ago, but now every year I see more and more of them out there.  Blakstr1 used to tease me about it the most, and now he is sponsored by them after I made a believer out of him.  One trip down the lake will have you wondering what the heck you ever did before you had one!

As for you Smbassman......

QuoteI saw my wife loose her grip on the side bar and came flying at me.

There are better ways to get your wife to throw herself at you man!  Tell her I said "hello". :D
Sponsors:
GreatLakesBass.com
Case Soft Plastics
Oxygenator Livewell Systems
O-Wacky Tools
Stong Outdoors
Toyota Trucks