Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 07:15:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

New to airbrushing

Started by bassfan586, January 27, 2011, 09:42:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Firefighter Jeff

Holy smokes these look good  !!!!  My favorite is the bluegill.  So are these your secret bait for catching the big uglies  ???  lolol

bassfan586

we r going to find out ;D  A jig is what I use to hunt big uglies
Got one!

Bassgeek

I have an airbrush just laying around. (doesn't everyone?)  I'm curious what kind of paint you guys are using?

bassfan586

Createx.  Just kinda mix and go till i get the right shade.  I use the water based acrylics because I spray in  the basment.  Some guys use laquers but you will need a exhaust system.  Lots of paint out there online google it. 
Got one!

Realisticcustombaits

Very, very impressive for your first few baits.  It took me much longer to get half as good a bluegill pattern as the one you got.  As for paint i spray with auto air.  Used to shoot with createx and probly still would if it didnt create so many issues with clear i prefer using.  Plus it does shoot a little bit nicer, but probly not a big enough a difference to switch for that reason alone given the price.

bassfan586

Thank you.  What kind of clear are you using?  I'm using flex coat now but thats what I have lying around.  I paint in the basment so I didn't want something that would stink the whole house up.
Got one!

mchesney

darn! Those are friggin' awesome for your first ones! I've got an airbrush, a ton of createx paint including pearls, transparents, etc and I've got topwater/crank blanks waiting for me in the pole barn and I haven't touched 'em in 2 years. I tried a couple times and I just had problems so I gave up...man, if my first ones were like yours I woulda been GEEKED!

bassfan586

I'd say give it a go!  I bought my set and it sat for 9 months in a box.  I'm glad I pulled it out this winter. Gives mr something to do.  I probably paint 3-4 times a week for a few hours in my basement.  My trick is waiting till my son goes to bed. 
Got one!

Realisticcustombaits

The stuff i use stinks up the whole house so i wouldnt use that for now.  But its Dick nites clear coat.  You've probly seen it advertised if your on the TU website.  You can brush it on or dip it but if you dont heat set createx well it will wrinkle your paint.  I spray it now and since i have switched to auto air paints it doesnt ever wrinkle anymore.  Most people use Devcon 2 part epoxy, thats what i started out using and it works fine.  I just like the thin durablity of DN.

Cheetam

Quote from: Realisticcustombaits on March 26, 2011, 07:34:35 PM
The stuff i use stinks up the whole house so i wouldnt use that for now.  But its Dick nites clear coat.  You've probly seen it advertised if your on the TU website.  You can brush it on or dip it but if you dont heat set createx well it will wrinkle your paint.  I spray it now and since i have switched to auto air paints it doesnt ever wrinkle anymore.  Most people use Devcon 2 part epoxy, thats what i started out using and it works fine.  I just like the thin durablity of DN.
Dick Nite's (SB-1) is the bomb.  I haven't had any issues with it in the past 3 years.  I still have the original pint can I bought, no issues with it setting up in the can (I've never opened the can, I use a tap screw in the side and only take what I need, when I need it).  I've been experimenting with the new water-reducible version (SB-2) as well, and have been experimenting with dipping that twice, and then using the SB-1 on top of that.  I've been really happy with how they are turning out.  I'd like to get at least a year of hard fishing on the baits I did this with to see how this method holds up, but so far the finish is rock solid.
Jeff

Realisticcustombaits

Havent seen the new stuff yet.  Interested to check it out.  Ya i do the same thing with the tap screw in the side gone through several pint cans now with no problems with it setting up since i have started doing that.  Its a little tricky and kind of frustrating at first but now I love the stuff. I have a few lures i did with it last year with 1-2 coats brushed on when i first started and the stuff stands up really well.  I have even used it on a few flutter spoons as well and the stuff holds up great.  Now I shoot 1 coat with a ghosting gold and some silver flake auto glitter and 5-6 coats without.  Mix about 3 to 1 with acetone.  Been doing all of my baits with it now.  It just seems like devcon starts to yellow a little and crack sometimes.  I did a couple lures with flexcoat that i had sitting here but i didnt really used the lures that i had it on last year.

bassfan586

It holds up well on my rods.  3 years of lying on the front deck all summer and no yellowing or cracking. 
Got one!

Cheetam

Quote from: Realisticcustombaits on March 27, 2011, 12:57:12 PM
Havent seen the new stuff yet.  Interested to check it out.  Ya i do the same thing with the tap screw in the side gone through several pint cans now with no problems with it setting up since i have started doing that.  Its a little tricky and kind of frustrating at first but now I love the stuff. I have a few lures i did with it last year with 1-2 coats brushed on when i first started and the stuff stands up really well.  I have even used it on a few flutter spoons as well and the stuff holds up great.  Now I shoot 1 coat with a ghosting gold and some silver flake auto glitter and 5-6 coats without.  Mix about 3 to 1 with acetone.  Been doing all of my baits with it now.  It just seems like devcon starts to yellow a little and crack sometimes.  I did a couple lures with flexcoat that i had sitting here but i didnt really used the lures that i had it on last year.
I did the epoxy thing when I first started out, and, like you said, I didn't like how it yellowed, or had a tendency to chip.  And, honestly, I'm not patient enough to set up a big drying wheel, and didn't like messing with mixing it and stuff.  Like I said, I think DN is the bomb, and, unless something better and easier comes on the market, I'll be using it for a long, long time.
Jeff

bassfan586

Thats the downside with epoxy.  Not the mixing.  Its having the wheel just right and hte dry time. 
Got one!

Realisticcustombaits

Ya thats the real nice thing about spraying the clear, no worries about the wheel or any uneven drying with for whatever reason.  Although a lot of guys still swear by it.

bassfan586

I spend a lot of time brushing it on thats for sure.
Got one!